Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,412

2 members and 3,410 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Blue tongue skinks and fake plants

I've kept bts for years but never put fake plants in there. As I just made some nice enclosures I am thinking of doing so.

I am worried they will try to eat it. Anyone can chime in?

The one in particular refuses even real veggies unless I mix it in meat. But whar if they get hungry enough?

Also, if they don't eat it, do they destroy it?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    I reckon you'd be fine unless you smear some appetizing scent on the plants. There is the oddball animal that just wants to munch on anything, including substrate, but they're more the exception than the rule. I'm not a fan of the fake plant look in general. I personally prefer some well placed stones, log hides and driftwood. Maybe you can go that route if ingesting fake foliage is a worry.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I don't see why they would eat them. I've never seen Iguanas or Beardies ever try to eat fake plants. Don't see why a skink would. I think when it comes to fake plants it really depends on the type you use in terms of how they look. Check out my Bairds Setups in the Colubrid forum. Those particular fake plants look great. Some look terrible.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Blue tongue skinks and fake plants

[QUOTE=John1982;2344577nI personally prefer some well placed stones, log hides and driftwood. Maybe you can go that route if ingesting fake foliage is a worry.[/QUOTE]

That's a good idea, thankyou. I have a good looking hide but the entrance is kinda big, so thought I'd hang fake leaves. Maybe I will just cover half the entrance with a rock or something.

Thanks

Re: Blue tongue skinks and fake plants

My BTS has both plastic and silk plants in his tank and I've never had any trouble with them being eaten. My BTS is so picky he won't even eat nutritious food unless we mix it up with something enticing. The stubborn little sausage tongues everything to find the best pockets of flavor before he takes a bite - I imagine he investigated the plants the same way and chose to leave them alone since they don't taste good.

Thanks
    I have some fake plants in my bluey cages, they have never tried to eat them, they do constantly push them around and bury them, which is why I have never tried real plants. When I finish my new cage build for them I was going to try and find some more realistic looking ones and the ones I have now are very obviously fake. If I can't find any that I like I am going to just go with the rock and wood method that I used for my other reptiles.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)