Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,404

3 members and 3,401 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

average weight for a yearling ball python

Hi everyone, just wondering what the average weight is for a yearling ball python . I have a female BEL ( Queen Bee x Butter) ball python almost 10 mos old that was born last 7/03/14 and currently weighs 494 grams as of 4/17/15. I mean she's not thin except she's not consistent with her feeding habits , last time she ate a f/t weaned rat was last 4/11/15. Just want to make sure she's up to par with her weight gain as she gets older. Appreciate all the input guys.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts
    There's not really an average weight for these guys because there are a lot of different things to consider: hatch weight, how quickly they began feeding, how often they are fed, how large of meals they eat, etc...

The most important thing to consider is their overall body shape - if they look healthy, then don't worry too much about what the gram scale says.

FWIW, I've had yearlings weigh anywhere between 400 grams and 1600 grams.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Alan For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (04-26-2015)

BPnet Senior Member Marissa@MKmorphs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 783 Posts

Re: average weight for a yearling ball python

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Alan View Post
    There's not really an average weight for these guys because there are a lot of different things to consider: hatch weight, how quickly they began feeding, how often they are fed, how large of meals they eat, etc...

The most important thing to consider is their overall body shape - if they look healthy, then don't worry too much about what the gram scale says.

Couldn't have said it better myself!
    ~Marissa~

BPnet Senior Member AlexisFitzy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,712 Times in 1,512 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Alan View Post

I completely agree it's impossible to say because even if all snakes are fed the same prey items at the same frequency they all grow at their own pace. I have 3 ball pythons that are around the same age and are all different sizes. One is huge, one is medium sized and one is growing more slowly. It just depends like Eric said as they look healthy and have a nice body comp then they are A-okay.

Thanks

Yep! I have a male that is 10 months old and has just topped 300 grams. My female that is just over 1 year is sitting heavy at 1700 grams. I am feeding this male on the same schedule and feeders that I used for my female at that age and he just doesn't progress as quick as she did. The one difference is that he deposits more waste than she did!!! I guess she held onto the fatty content and he disposes of it!

Thanks

So there it is, the avg weight for a yearling is between 300 and 1700 grams! LOL. 500 is a very reasonable weight for a snake less than a year old.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Use your better judgment does the snake look thin? Too fat? Healthy in appearance? Some snakes grow slower than others, some grow faster. You can adjust feeding schedules to make them grow a little faster or slower.