Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,388

4 members and 3,384 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Looking for opinions of experienced Brongersmai keepers.

Hi. I am looking for some guidance in regards to a blood python that I have currently. I'm noticing serious dimpling of the scales. The thing is I'm not sure if this is dehydration or the pruning that is associated with being kept too wet. She is currently being housed in a cb70 on paper substrate with a suitably sized water dish with no hotspot. Room is between 80-82f and her body temp is usually around 83.8. The humidity is a bit on the high side at 70 - 80% but I would not expect such an effect from those levels of humidity. When she does urinate it is quite a lot, which would start to lead me away from believing it is dehydration. There is never any condensation in the enclosure and she does not feel wet. She is feeding well once a week on f/t small rat. I feed the rodents pretty wet so I know for sure she is getting some hydration. I've attached some photos, hopefully you can give me your opinion on what my best option is.

I appreciate any feedback.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    The dimpling is pretty common. I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's probably dryness - not dehydration, just dry scales. As long as she has access to fresh water and is drinking and eating well, it shouldn't be an issue. Ideally, these guys like to soak pretty regularly. Keeping a cage as wet as they like is not easy to do, while keeping it clean and fresh. The only suggestion I have would be to soak her when she's in shed (after the blue phase) if she has any issues shedding. Sometimes, especially after dirtying their cages, I soak mine also.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to aahmn For This Useful Post:

tbowman (04-26-2015)

Thanks
    Appreciate the response. I've heard that the dimpling was common, but is the dimpling to this extent really that common? Do you have any photos to share?

♫ I live on an island way out in the sea ♫
    Thanks
    Mine has dimpling in both dry and humid conditions. I never did find a way to fix it and I've had her for a few years now.
    1.0 Normal {S.W.A.N.}
    0.1 Lesser Platinum {Genesis}
    1.0 Lemon Blast {Fabio}
    0.1 Borneo STP {Coho}
    0.1 Green Iguana {Goober}
    0.0.0 A. brocklehursti {Vengence}
    0.1 G. rosea {Kiwi}
    0.0.2 B. albopilosum {Sideshow Bob}
    0.0.1 G. pulchripes
    1.0 P. regalis
    0.0.2 Reef Tank: 20g, 9g

Thanks
    Man, that stinks. I can't help but think I'm doing something wrong.

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts

Re: Looking for opinions of experienced Brongersmai keepers.

One of mine had noticeable dimpling once and it was from too high of humidity, he went into shed and I soaked him a couple times and was misting the cage daily and after shed he was dimpled. It went away pretty quick and haven't had an issue since.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

tbowman (04-29-2015)

Thanks
    as long as you can give them a water bowl they can climb into and soak themselves you dont need as high humidity,they love to soak
    for long periods at a time a water dish that is not big enough for them will either get moved all over the place or turned upside down.

I would also give them a hot spot for thermo regulation they can do this far easier when they can just move from one side to the other. Your humidity is a bit high for my liking but without actually looking at your setup in person its hard to say if it is an issue.

This is a pic of one of mine and his water bath as I call it lol

what your snake is showing looks like dry scales to me I agree with aahhmn there.

remember they can get large ........

but they can be cute too.....

but dont get complacent as they are sneaky at times always watching as only they can ...

full of character the bloods far more than the average ball IMO hissing and puffing and bluffing although sometimes the bluff aint a bluff ....

very nice snake by the way I would not be worried from what I can see. Monitor the situation and see if it changes with slight mods.
    There is a moose loose aboot this hoose !