Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,231

1 members and 3,230 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

One long piece vs. multiple strands flexwatt ambient temps

So I have my rack built and ready to be wired up with flexwatt. I was wondering if anyone knows if running one long piece through helps ambient temps within the rack more that multiple strands. I see the pieces going down the sides when it's snaked through and wonder if that helps. The rack is a fully enclosed insulated melamine rack with 6 shelves. It's insulated with foil tape and I have reflectix if need be. I also have channels cut through under the flexwatt to heat the tub underneath as well.

Thanks
    What size heat tape are you using and what size rack is it? If you are using only 4" heat tape you will basically just be creating a hot spot. Larger heat tape like 11" does tend to up ambient temps, even if it is wired in parallel and not snaked throughout the rack.

Thanks
    I'm using 11" front and back. That was what I was thinking when I decided on that size too so it's good to know I was right lol. Is snaking it through gonna do more for ancients or the same as wiring in parallel? I think with everything o got going I should be good on temps with some tweaking.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm using 11" front and back. That was what I was thinking when I decided on that size too so it's good to know I was right lol. Is snaking it through gonna do more for ancients or the same as wiring in parallel? I think with everything o got going I should be good on temps with some tweaking.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh the rack is a 6 shelf 41qt deep enclosed melamine rack.

Thanks
    When I used to make my own melamine racks I used 11" tape and wired it in parallel. To me it just seemed better that way. I don't think that you would gain anything necessarily by using one continuous piece and snaking it through. By using multiple pieces of heat tape wired in parallel you are able to change out individual strips of heat tape if there is any issue with it, without having to replace the entire strip of tape. 41 qt tubs are pretty shallow, and I had great ambient temps with my setup. Melamine holds heat well. As long as your rack isn't in a cold room you should be golden.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Piece per shelf.
    Should I have to replace I dont have to do the whole rack.

Thanks
    I think the only advantage of having a long snaking piece is that you don't have to fuss with parallel wiring and therefore only have to get it right once. If your confident in your aility, I'd say multiple pieces is best for the reason pit said.

Thanks
    Just make sure that all your connections are crimped properly into place. With parallel wiring you obviously have to take into account the added wires and connections. If you haven't ordered heat tape, THG has a reptile specific heat tape that apparently maintains consistent temps better. Just a thought.

Thanks

Red face

Thanks guys, my rack is gonna be in a cooler room(68deg) so that's why I was wondering if snaking will add any ambient temp. It's more square ft of heating element in an enclosed space so I guess I just assume it will to an extent. I already ordered the the tape from rich at reptile basics

Thanks
    What I think I'm gonna do is do single pieces but run them up the sides like its snaked so I get the best of both worlds!

Thanks
    That's over kill. With 11" heat tape you will be just fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast