Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,397

1 members and 3,396 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

New to Site and New Ball Python

Hey everyone! I'm new to the site and just recently purchased a normal ball baby a week or so ago. First off, I actually made an initial purchase of a pastel at Petco (I know, I've heard against buying from chain type stores, but the snake looked healthy)... Unfortunately, I brought the snake home and he ended up passing away shortly after. I returned back to the store and exchanged for this little guy. Before purchase, I was told that he was not eating and hadn't eaten for over 3 weeks. I took my chances and brought him home anyway...

Luckily, he has been eating regularly on F/T hopper mice every 5 days. He still looks somewhat thin to me but seems to be bouncing back. He also looks to possibly be a little dehydrated. I have been keeping his humidity up and catch him randomly drinking throughout the day. He's still a little skiddish, but once he is picked up, he's definitely a little explorer.

Any helpful advice for owning this little guy/gal would be appreciated. I used to own several ball pythons many years ago and never had any issues, but it's been so long ago and the pastel from a few weeks ago threw me off due to his quick demise. Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated! Thank you guys in advance!

- Matthew

p.s. I included a few pics of Amani...
    Last edited by mdgillispie; 04-23-2015 at 02:15 AM.

Thanks

Re: New to Site and New Ball Python

Also wanted to add:

I have had Amani for approximately two weeks and have fed twice since purchase and have yet to see the snake strike and constrict food. Like I stated, I've been feeding F/T hopper mice and once I place the mouse in the cage (as I am feeding in the enclosure), she quickly begins smelling the air, makes a lap around the aquarium, focuses on the prey, and then opens and begins taking the prey. All without a strike (which I've never heard of before).

Just wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if something else may be wrong? Either way, after being told that she wasn't eating for weeks, I'm just happy to have a consistent eater, thus far.

Sorry for all of the questions. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by mdgillispie; 04-23-2015 at 03:19 AM.

Thanks
    We just got our bp about a month and a half ago so I'm no expert but I think that as long as shes eating and pooping and shedding like everyone says she'll be fine...
    Weve fed ours live and f/t and he always strikes. But actually has an easier time with the live... Maybe I'm the one who needs help on how to feed f/t haha

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DC+loki For This Useful Post:

mdgillispie (04-23-2015)

Thanks
    Hopefully some of the experienced people here can chime in on this..

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DC+loki For This Useful Post:

mdgillispie (04-23-2015)

Thanks

Thank you for your input! I appreciate it. I've never fed any of my previous ball pythons F/T so I guess that's why I'm questioning this behavior. Thanks again for your reply.

Thanks
    Welcome to this site, I'm new as well as of a couple of days ago! Sorry to hear about your previous BP. Your new one has a similar face pattern to mine. Really nice BP.

When feeding my python f/t, he will NOT eat it unless I hold him by his tail. He wraps his lower half of his body around my hand and then strikes for it. He's a funny character that obviously got too used to me holding him whilst he striked for the rat haha.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dano94 For This Useful Post:

mdgillispie (04-23-2015)

Thanks
    Welcome aboard. Your snake not constricting or striking isn't common but not abnormal behavior. I have had them in the past do the same thing. I called them the lazy eaters lol Keep the humidity up and plenty of water and your snake should be just fine.
    Ron

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bondo For This Useful Post:

mdgillispie (04-23-2015)

Thanks

Thanks! I appreciate the fact of knowing how quirky they all are in their own ways. I just wanted to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong or if there is anything I could be doing better. I appreciate the feedback and the welcoming!
    Last edited by mdgillispie; 04-23-2015 at 03:56 AM.

Thanks

Can anyone else chime in as to why she keeps doing this?

Thanks
    Prob smart enough to realize its already dead and doesn't want to waste the energy, use some forcepts and do the zombie dance and i bet she will strike, a few of my friends balls do this if he just drops in the f/t prey they dont bother striking and contricting, just go straight to chowing down, but if he holds it and makes it appear alive they strike it like they are starving to death

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M.P.C For This Useful Post:

JennyBP (04-23-2015),mdgillispie (04-23-2015)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast