Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,411

2 members and 3,409 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Baby Ball Python hasn't eaten in 7 weeks

I recently purchased a baby spider ball python about 8 or 9 weeks ago and have only gotten him to feed once since I've had him, a frozen hopper mouse. It has now been 7 weeks since he has eaten... I know adults can often go a long time without feeding but am not sure how this applies to babies. When I got him they told me he was about 3 months old. He is very small and I am worried about his weight (I don't have a scale). Should I take him to a vet or what? I keep trying to feed about once every week or so now with no luck (again, frozen hopper mice). He also did not have a very good first shed about four weeks ago, his humidity was not high enough in the tank, so he still has a small amount of skin stuck on his head (including one of his eye caps) and I'm wondering if this might be why he isn't eating. I'm hoping that the remaining skin will come off during his next shed.
    Last edited by amandabethh; 04-22-2015 at 11:31 AM.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Re: Baby Ball Python hasn't eaten in 7 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by amandabethh View Post
    I recently purchased a baby spider ball python about 8 or 9 weeks ago and have only gotten him to feed once since I've had him, a frozen hopper mouse. It has now been 7 weeks since he has eaten... I know adults can often go a long time without feeding but am not sure how this applies to babies. When I got him they told me he was about 3 months old. He is very small and I am worried about his weight (I don't have a scale). Should I take him to a vet or what? I keep trying to feed about once every week or so now with no luck (again, frozen hopper mice).
    Have you tried feeding him live?
    It is okay to use pine bedding for snakes.
    It is okay to feed live food to snakes.

Thanks

No, I haven't tried feeding him live, I'm worried that because of the combination of his wobbles and still having an eye cap stuck on that he may have trouble killing live prey at the moment. This is my first snake, so this is purely speculation. Thoughts?

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

No, I haven't tried feeding him live, I'm worried that because of the combination of his wobbles and still having an eye cap stuck on that he may have trouble killing live prey at the moment. This is my first snake, so this is purely speculation. Thoughts?
    Wobbly spiders can eat live, and stuck eye caps won't hinder him. They hunt mostly on heat sensors and smell.

If you give him a correctly sized prey item, and he wants to eat, he'll be fine.
    It is okay to use pine bedding for snakes.
    It is okay to feed live food to snakes.

Thanks
    I would definitely try live at this point. And also, do you feed in a separate feeding tub? This can also stop proper eating.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BCS View Post
    I would definitely try live at this point. And also, do you feed in a separate feeding tub? This can also stop proper eating.
    Yes, I currently feed him in a separate container. Any suggestions on places to get live prey?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I would try to find a reptile store if there is one near you. If not both petco and pet smart sell feeder mice. since he is small try a live fuzzy, i know its not really the right size, but at this time you just want to get him to eat. once he eats on a regular basis then increase his food size. Also once he is eating well you can always try switching him back to frozen. Just remember frozen needs to be about 100 degrees when you offer it. I bring my frozen to 110 then walk it over to the tank, it always loses 5 or 6 degrees in the walk. you can also offer the smaller food item every 5 or 6 days since the mice are so much smaller, he will let you know by watching and observing. My guy was always hungry, so instead of giving him a bigger food item , i just moved him up to every 5 days. I will keep him there till 4-500 grams, then go back to a 7 day feeding routine.
    Good luck

Thanks

Yes, I currently feed him in a separate container. Any suggestions on places to get live prey?
    Any reptile stores near you will have live. Most petshops will not sell live. You can also order them online but depending where you are, shipping live rodents across state lines is not possible.

Stop feeding him in a separate tub. You will see a difference believe me. Keep feeding him in his enclosure. He will not become aggressive if this is your fear. Snakes know the difference between a mouse and a hand latched on to a five ft man, so feed him in his enclosure. Do not hold him the day of feeding or 24-48 hours after feeding him.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BCS View Post
    Any reptile stores near you will have live. Most petshops will not sell live. You can also order them online but depending where you are, shipping live rodents across state lines is not possible.

Stop feeding him in a separate tub. You will see a difference believe me. Keep feeding him in his enclosure. He will not become aggressive if this is your fear. Snakes know the difference between a mouse and a hand latched on to a five ft man, so feed him in his enclosure. Do not hold him the day of feeding or 24-48 hours after feeding him.
    Actually you can ship live rodents. However it wouldn't be worth it for one. Besides an unweaned one wouldn't survive. The pet shop might sell one or get one from their supplier.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 200xth View Post
    Have you tried feeding him live?
    I second this. After I bought my ball, I tried to feed him frozen twice with no luck. A day later, I put a live mouse in there and he had it in his mouth within 20 seconds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast