Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,304

3 members and 3,301 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks

Lights or no lights

What's the light routine you guys prefer? Do you use one at night for heat? Do you have a UV bulb? Most likely everyone has a different preference. Just want to see something on the subject to get an idea of what to do for mine. I had him on red bulb at night but stopped two days ago because of the UFO on BP.net care sheet. Thanks!
    88-92 hot side, 78-82 cool side, 40%-60% humidity

Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks

Re: Lights or no lights

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebeeball View Post
    What's the light routine you guys prefer? Do you use one at night for heat? Do you have a UV bulb? Most likely everyone has a different preference. Just want to see something on the subject to get an idea of what to do for mine. I had him on red bulb at night but stopped two days ago because of the UFO on BP.net care sheet. Thanks!
    Info not UFO wow

Thanks

From what I've been told on this forum you don't need any special kind of light. Just a day/night cycle and heat

Thanks
    I don't believe they even need a day/night cycle. I'm sure racks let some light in, but many srsbsns breeders have only heat tape and humidity management. I stopped running day heat bulbs because the ones I was getting were lasting about 3 to 6 weeks. The red night bulbs last forever. If you have a heating element that can keep his hot side and ambient temps right you would be fine. I don't see why a cold side and hot side UTH wouldn't be all that you needed. A flourecent aquarium type bulb would be ideal if he/she is in a tank. That way you can view when you want and have light in there for maintenence. Also I'm sure the snake would appreciate a little light if you feed in tank.

Thanks
    I use a red heat bulb for additional warmth. But if your ambient temps are OK it's not needed at all. They do not have sunlight requirements but day/night cycle (like natural ambient light, indirect. Not bulbs) can be sorta helpful if they won't eat during the day. Fluorescent bulbs can stress them out by being light they can see (as opposed to the red, which they cannot see) making them feel insecure and not hidden. I feed mine in very little light, basically enough for me to see, and my girl eats fine.
    0.1 Lesser Pastel

Black Spooky Kitty
    0.1 Faye Tiny Kitty

?.?
    Feral Cat Colony

And more on the way always....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Ball pythons have been sub classed as crepuscular - nocturnal. There is a large (and mounting) reports of them being active in the mornings and evenings. Mine, I have noticed seem to be. I have decided for many of mine to use a 2.0 uv bulb. Likely it does nothing but on the off chance it does help. It certainly does no harm. Over night I use a deep blue 'moon' light bulb. We know pythons have a strong response to IR, using near IR lights to my mind makes no sense. I choose to be on the opposite end of the spectrum. Likely it doesn't matter.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Natural light cycle from the room.
    All mine are in racks.

Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeBalls View Post
    I don't believe they even need a day/night cycle. I'm sure racks let some light in, but many srsbsns breeders have only heat tape and humidity management. I stopped running day heat bulbs because the ones I was getting were lasting about 3 to 6 weeks. The red night bulbs last forever. If you have a heating element that can keep his hot side and ambient temps right you would be fine. I don't see why a cold side and hot side UTH wouldn't be all that you needed. A flourecent aquarium type bulb would be ideal if he/she is in a tank. That way you can view when you want and have light in there for maintenence. Also I'm sure the snake would appreciate a little light if you feed in tank.
    Aquarium type light strip was what I was shooting for.mi looked up these guys habitats in the wild tall grass edge of forest central and west Africa... So it seems day light would be beneficial as there not always in termite mounds or rodent borrows in nature. I believe proper husbandry stems from the knowledge of what these guys deal with in a day to day in the wild just like they've been for millions of years. I think some type of UV bulb is in order. Either t5 or T8.

Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebeeball View Post
    Aquarium type light strip was what I was shooting for.mi looked up these guys habitats in the wild tall grass edge of forest central and west Africa... So it seems day light would be beneficial as there not always in termite mounds or rodent borrows in nature. I believe proper husbandry stems from the knowledge of what these guys deal with in a day to day in the wild just like they've been for millions of years. I think some type of UV bulb is in order. Either t5 or T8.
    Also if you provide a proper hide nothing should be wrong with a light strip.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Mine just gets room lighting and lighting that comes from my beardies cage. I got no actual light fixture for her or my sunglow boa. My Colombian has a 18" fixture in her PVC cage but that's only for me so I can see what im doing in there as without a light in those kind of cages, it gets pretty dark inside.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast