Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,358

1 members and 3,357 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: mind wander

Thanks

mind wander

Since I got ball pythons a couple months ago, they are all I think about. I have a enchi group but all are babies yet. So My mind is wandering to something else to add to the group. (Ie: banana, cinnamon albino)

And I got to thinking, I know lavender albino and albino don't breed to make an albino.

But can you get both albino and lavender albino in one snake? I know both recessive so it would be harder. Or do they "cross" each other out like butter x lesser making bel?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: mind wander

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyPiston View Post

And I got to thinking, I know lavender albino and albino don't breed to make an albino.

The reason that lavender albino and albino don't breed to make an albino is because the two genes are in different gene pairs. It takes over twenty thousand gene pairs to make a normal ball python. A mistake in one gene pair produces an albino ball python, and a mistake in a different gene pair produces a lavender albino ball python.

It would be possible to get a snake that has two lavender albino genes in one gene pair and two albino genes in the other gene pair. One way to do it is to mate a lavender albino ball python to an albino, then mate their babies together. Every second generation albino has one chance in four of being an albino lavender albino.

I think that the effect of the two albino genes would mask the effect of the two lavender albino genes. The baby albinos would have to be raised to adulthood and given a breeding test to be able to tell the difference between an albino, an albino het lavender albino, and an albino lavender albino. So there is little reason for anyone to try to breed such a snake.

Hope that helps.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to paulh For This Useful Post:

CrazyPiston (04-22-2015)

Thanks
    Yes very much so. Thank you.

In my imagination I could see a long term project with a cinnamon albino and a lavender albino. I could see the orange alien heads of the cinny albino on the lavender background.

But alas genetics don't allow orange and purple snakes. Lol
    Last edited by CrazyPiston; 04-22-2015 at 08:32 PM.

Thanks
    Why not just try for a cinnamon lavender albino?