Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,253

3 members and 3,250 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Can someone answer my question please? - Bathing my snake.

Hi Guys,

I have a 15 month old male ball python who I just gave my first bath to today. The water was warm water but not hot and when I first put him in he wasn't too sure. After he got used to the water he actually started moving quickly under water and kept sticking his tongue out under water as if he was really enjoying himself. He kept bumping into the walls of the container I was bathing him in. After I got him out, he was much more energetic and seemed A LOT happier. However I couldn't tell as I'm new to owning a snake.

In short, does it sound like my ball python enjoyed his bath or was it stressful for him?

Also when he was in the water, his body felt really relaxed and there was pink stuff coming out from his vent? (The pink stuff was just the inside of his vent) I presume that this is just the water being soaked up by what ever is in the vent? (I was told this by a vet I know).

Thanks,

Dan
    Last edited by Dano94; 04-21-2015 at 01:48 PM.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Bathing or soaking BP's is usually nothing but stress for them.
    It is okay to use pine bedding for snakes.
    It is okay to feed live food to snakes.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 200xth For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (04-21-2015),John1982 (04-21-2015),Shann (04-22-2015)

Thanks

Re: Can someone answer my question please? - Bathing my snake.

I would only bathe my snake if it was dehydrated or had mites. As then they actually sit still and soak

Thanks

I was told by the breeder to bath him and I went to the vet yesterday and was told to bath him as it's really good for them.

When I took him out of the bath he was slithering all over me and generally seemed much happier. But that's just my opinion and what I've been told.

- - - Updated - - -

He has a very small dry patch of scales near the bottom of his tail. That's why I took him to the vet and I was advised to bath him.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 200xth View Post
    Bathing or soaking BP's is usually nothing but stress for them.
    He was also drinking lots of water when he was in the water as well. Thought I'd mention that. I'm just looking for more opinions to base what I do next on.

Thanks
    Everything seems to be listed as stressful to a ball python. Its an ironic twist that the most highly bred snake with the most hereditary color mutations, and also the most widely sought after snake is also the biggest head case of any herp IMO.

IMO soaking is fine. If hes not thrashing around and calms down after a bit I wouldn't worry. Make sure that he doesn't have to swim the whole time and that the water isn't too deep.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JoshSloane View Post
    Everything seems to be listed as stressful to a ball python. Its an ironic twist that the most highly bred snake with the most hereditary color mutations, and also the most widely sought after snake is also the biggest head case of any herp IMO.

IMO soaking is fine. If hes not thrashing around and calms down after a bit I wouldn't worry. Make sure that he doesn't have to swim the whole time and that the water isn't too deep.
    Yeah, the water was only 1.5 inches deep and I was holding him the whole time. He just seemed like he was enjoying it. Every time I took him out of the bath and put him down, he used to slither and get back in the bath himself. Without me!

Thanks

For Ball Pythons, bathing is rarely needed and is not desirable for the most part. There are a few very specific reasons to soak a snake, but usually there is a better option. You might soak for any of the following reasons: mites (PAM correctly applied to the cage is a better option), dehydration (misting, raising humidity in cage and supplying a large water dish is better unless snake is on death's door), suspected constipation and stuck shed (snake in a pillow case with a wet warm towel is a better option.).

Ball pythons do not usually soak even when they have the option, unless something is wrong with them. Some do, but it is rare in my experience.

I would not suggest soaking at this point. As far as your snake being happy goes, ball pythons that are happy generally are not active, especially during the day. I suggest that your snake may have been trying to explore, or escape. Increased activity is usually a sign of stress, not happiness. BP's generally only move at night and when searching for food, or better conditions. There are of course exceptions to this.

Sincerely,

David

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nightrainfalls For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (04-21-2015),Shann (04-22-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,863 Times in 4,780 Posts
    Most ball pythons don't enjoy baths, they tolerate them. Also, being super-active is usually a sign that the snake isn't happy - it's trying to run away and hide.

If the vet recommended a bath then your ball python may have had a bit of stuck shed and was dehydrated. Also, if he had a ring of shed completely encircling his tail tip then yes, a quick dip to soften that shed so it doesn't get dried up and eventually cut off the blood flow to the tail isn't a bad idea. Long term though you need to fix your snake's humidity problems so it doesn't happen again.

I do have one snake that does enjoy swimming - she's a retic - getting her into a bath is easy, getting her out means getting soaked because she will fight to stay in.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    I do have one snake that does enjoy swimming - she's a retic - getting her into a bath is easy, getting her out means getting soaked because she will fight to stay in.

And we don't have a short video showing this fun and frolic?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast