Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,410

2 members and 3,408 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Unhappy utterly confused newbie needs help

On April 12, we purchased a pastel BP at a club show. It was one of those spontaneous things. I've read everything I can lay hands on and now we're stumped.

1. How long have you had your ball python?

Just over one week.

2. How old (or how big) is your snake?

- He's between 2 & 3 years old. 3' long and 720g.

3. Does it eat on a regular schedule?

- The prior owner said he was fed about every other week.

4. How long since its last meal?

- Last meal was on March 30.

5. What type/size prey is being offered?

- Small rat, no larger than the snake's diameter.

6. How often do you offer food?

- We tried about 4 days after getting him home and settled. No luck.

7. What type and size of enclosure does it live in?

- 24" x 13" x 15" plastic tote will holes drilled around the sides for ventilation. The top has those clamp-on catches.

8. What are you using as substrate? If it has depth, how deep is it?

- A layer of newspaper covered with about 1" of aspen shred.

9. What type of heating do you use?

- Heating tape (not certain that that's what it's called).

10. Do you use a thermostat to control temperatures?

- Yes.

11. What do you use to measure/monitor temperatures?

- A digital thermometer with a probe.

12. What are the surface and ambient temperatures in the enclosure?

- Under his hide, it's about 91°F; ambient temp is closer to 75°F - 80°F.

13. What is the average humidity level?

- 80% - 100% (the sides of the enclosure have condensation.

14. How many and what type of hides does the snake have?

- 2 hides. 1 is plain black plastic and the other is rough and looks like natural rock but is some sort of heavy plastic.

15. Is water readily available at all times?

- Yes.

16. Does the snake live alone or does it share the enclosure with anything else?

- Alone

17. How often and for how long is the snake typically handled?

- Not too often since we just got him. Perhaps every 3rd day.

18. Does the snake have any medical history (old injuries or illnesses)?

- Not that we're aware of. Just after changing his environment to the shred and the new hide, he shed completely in 2 large, gorgeous pieces.

19. Do you have any other reptiles? Have you brought in any new reptiles recently?

- No and no.

20. Is there anything specific or unique about your situation that we should be aware of?

- Since it's been 2 days since his shed, and 3 weeks since he last ate, we thought we'd once again try to feed him. He strikes at the rat, but isn't coiling or eating it. I really don't want a pet rat! He bit me during the first attempt at feeding, which I now attribute to poor eyesight due to the impending shed. Also, I removed the hide before dangling the live rat (the previous owner only fed live, and I'd love some straightforward advice about switching to frozen/thawed, and yes I've read the forums) so the rat wouldn't just hide in the hide! Now Haku (the snake) is puffing up and hissing at me when I look in on him and he's just coiled on one side of the enclosure while the rat has a grooming session on the other.

I can't keep buying rats and releasing them into the wild. LOL I'm concerned that our guy isn't eating because I'm doing something wrong. His shed was gorgeous, he's gorgeous, but I was told he can be a bit on the shy side. I'd like to have a good relationship with him and I certainly don't want him to go hungry.

Sorry this is so long! I've read forums and websites until my eyes are crossed and I'm just stumped as to what to do. Do I remove the rat yet again? Wait a day? Kill the rat and let it sit there in the enclosure for a couple of hours? Kill the rat and freeze it? Beg? Sacrifice a goat?

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Re: utterly confused newbie needs help

Quote Originally Posted by psiam View Post
    Also, I removed the hide before dangling the live rat
    Why are you doing either of those?

You don't need to remove the hide, and you don't need to dangle a live rat in front of your snake.

I'd put everything back, leave him for a week, then try another live feeding, but this time don't take stuff out or rearrange anything, and definitely don't dangle the live food in front of your snake. Just put the rodent in the enclosure. Your snake knows what to do if he's hungry and comfortable.
    Last edited by 200xth; 04-20-2015 at 10:38 PM.
    It is okay to use pine bedding for snakes.
    It is okay to feed live food to snakes.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 200xth For This Useful Post:

dr del (04-20-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

I'd definitely remove the rat if the snake isn't interested.

Keep it till next week if you want or kill it and freeze it if you don't. Do not release it into the wild - that is probably illegal and unfair if it isn't.

I'd stop all handling at the moment and leave the snake completely alone ( aside from cage maintenance ) for a week to settle in to the new surroundings. At his size a few skipped meals shouldn't do him any harm but a picture to judge his body condition could help us be sure.

Did you ask how the previous owner fed him? Sometimes the steps beforehand can be important too.

And to the forum.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks
    Its a ball python and they are notorius for going off fed randomly and for long periods.... when we bought our enchi back at the end of march we were told he was fed live med rats and was last fed the week before.... we got him home let him get settled... didnt eat till this past friday night, as long as you know your husbendry is correct, there are no mites or signs of infection and he isnt loosing alot of weight he could and most likly is on a hunger strike, also you can try a diff colored rat if your offereing white ones or vice versa... they can also be picky like that sometimes

Thanks
    Did you ask the previous owner if he was eating live or frozen/prekilled? May sound stupid, but if he has fed on frozen his whole life, a live rat might scare him.(Like I said sounds stupid, but ball python are very timid and shy, they can actually become traumatized into not eating live if they are attacked by their rat). aside from that as stated ball python can and will go off of food randomly, or because of stress from a new enclosure or new smells. they can also go off of food for a LONG time. I've personally seen a perfectly healthy bp go off food for 11 months, and then randomly start eating like a champ again. Also as stated, live rats can just be dropped in and watched to make sure there's no damage to the snake, if you want to dangle food by hands or tongs I would suggest frozen or prekilled.

I would personally bump humidity down a bit as well. 40 to 60 is good for them, prolonged exposure to too much or too little can cause problems like respitory infections (low) and scale rott (high). A lot of Condensation generally indicates humidity is a tad high.

I don't use tape or under tank heaters, but it's recommended that if you do, you hook it up to a thermostat to prevent overheating.

Congrats on the pickup btw got any pics yet?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to magicmed For This Useful Post:

psiam (04-21-2015)

Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks
    Take the snake out while he is comfortable in his hide and put him in a feeder tank with the rat. Don't hold him and feed him directly after. I wouldn't have high hopes for feed during blue eye or later faze of shed.

Use the separate feeding tank so you don't get bit next time you go to grab your pet python.
    88-92 hot side, 78-82 cool side, 40%-60% humidity

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebeeball View Post
    Take the snake out while he is comfortable in his hide and put him in a feeder tank with the rat. Don't hold him and feed him directly after. I wouldn't have high hopes for feed during blue eye or later faze of shed.

Use the separate feeding tank so you don't get bit next time you go to grab your pet python.
    This is a myth in regards to BPs. Removing them from their setup IMO is just more likely to make them not eat. And the other bit about cage aggression is not a thing for them maaaaaybe if you only open the tank to feed and never handle it might happen...
    0.1 Lesser Pastel

Black Spooky Kitty
    0.1 Faye Tiny Kitty

?.?
    Feral Cat Colony

And more on the way always....

Thanks
    Releasing a captive bred mouse or rat into the wild is just as cruel and illegal as releasing a cat or dog into the wild. If you've already done that, the ones you've released will probably just starve to death (same as any other domesticated animal). Please don't do that.

Either kill or keep the feeders until the following week before offering them to your snake again. Many snakes go off food around sheds, and I have some that are too keyed up to eat right after a shed either. Now isn't the time to worry about him not eating. Don't put him in a separate tank or remove the hide, just feed him in his enclosure. He'll probably resume eating in a couple weeks.
    These snakes can go off food for months; it's no big deal when they do it for a couple weeks.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis,
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Litorea caerulea
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebeeball View Post
    Here's a good thread on this subject for you to browse though: The Age Old Question. It starts to become very informative and thought-provoking around the post I directly linked to, but the entire thread is pretty good.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anicatgirl View Post
    This is a myth in regards to BPs. Removing them from their setup IMO is just more likely to make them not eat. And the other bit about cage aggression is not a thing for them maaaaaybe if you only open the tank to feed and never handle it might happen...
    Agreed, 10 years and counting feeding in the snakes enclosure, frequent handler and never bit or struck at.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast