Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,399

3 members and 3,396 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Ghost and hypo confusion

I recently picked up a sugar het hypo ball python. The guy I bought him from told me she could create hypos with my fire woma het orange ghost male. I know that hypos are pretty much the same thing as ghosts but orange ghosts? I know there are a lot of different ghost "colors" (green and orange etc.) but are all ghosts compatible? Can someone please explain this to me?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hypo is short for hypomelanistic...."ghost" is just a nickname for the hypomelanistic look. There are different types (lines) of "ghost" such as orange ghost or green ghost. As I understand it, there are some lines that aren't compatible. However, "orange ghost" is by far the most common form of hypo out there. If yours were something different, it would be most likely be labeled as such and probably a little more expensive.

SO....bottom line...there's a very small chance the two het hypos might not be compatible with each other, but most likely they are.
    -- Judy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (04-18-2015)

Thanks

Re: Ghost and hypo confusion

Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    Hypo is short for hypomelanistic...."ghost" is just a nickname for the hypomelanistic look. There are different types (lines) of "ghost" such as orange ghost or green ghost. As I understand it, there are some lines that aren't compatible. However, "orange ghost" is by far the most common form of hypo out there. If yours were something different, it would be most likely be labeled as such and probably a little more expensive.

SO....bottom line...there's a very small chance the two het hypos might not be compatible with each other, but most likely they are.
    Sweet, thank you very much. I did not even think about this. I guess I got a lucky mistake. I only wanted the fire gene for my vanilla and I like sugars. The hypo and ghost part were just "there" and I really did not care until I started looking up what I wanted for my next snake. I guess I will be experimenting with this in the next season.