Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,201

0 members and 3,201 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Ball Python Very Active

My ball python has been pretty active for the past 4 or 5 days. I ended up getting a digital thermometer thinking that was the problem, unfortunately that's not the case. She's about 3 months old and I got her exactly a week ago. She ate once, pooped once and urinated about 3 times.

Anyway, ever since last sunday or monday she has been active..too active during the day for my liking (and probably hers too) . She's my first ever snake and I thought I was doing everything correctly based off of the research I did. I guess not.

Some info you will want to know:
    Digital Thermometer
    Light Dimmer to change temp
    Hot side I keep at around 90-92
    Cold I keep around 78-80
    Humidity I try to keep about 55-65
    Two hides on both end
    Water bowl
    Paper towers for substrate
    32 QT plastic tub

I tried posting a picture before, but it didn't work. The tub setup is basically what you see on Google images, nothing complicated. I would say she's about 1 1/2 feet and the tub is 32 QT. I'm thinking the size of the tub may be the problem, but then I'll have to buy another heat pad. Ugh...

I'm going to try feeding her monday (10 days after last feed). Other than that I don't know what else I can do, it's so frustrating.
    Last edited by AvengedGrace; 04-17-2015 at 10:08 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts

Re: Ball Python Very Active

Quote Originally Posted by AvengedGrace View Post
    Light Dimmer to change temp
    Hot side I keep at around 90-92
    Cold I keep around 78-80
    How are you measuring temps?

Also, does your room temp fluctuate at all? The dimmer doesn't keep the heat mat at a constant temp, if your room temp goes up or down the heat goes up and down with it.

Thanks
    I'm using the acurite digital therm. My room is pretty consistent, as well as the house. 77 degrees is normal for my house and room.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    I am guessing this is a small (baby) snake? Typically they tend to like it cooler. Snakes like most animals when the muscles are working it builds heat. Little snakes this seems to effect them more than others likely because surface temps effect the core temp more.

Also all digital thermometers have errors, some have more or less. This is rated in the specs +/- _ºF or C (or a % for better units) this figure represents the quality of manufacturing and quality of materials mostly. The better the materials used and the higher the standards of manufacturing the lower the error is. The cheaper thermometers often are +/-2ºF this is super common (the only accretes were +/-2ºC close to 4ºF off, I don't know about the new ones check your specs) I always recommend calculating this into your temps.

You read 90-92ºF if we guess 2ºF in error, the most common in low end thermometers, we see 88-94ºF. 94ºF is quite hot I don't personally keep any royal this high and personally I keep baby snakes at 88ºF.

I would suggest just dropping the hot spot temp down so you see maybe 87-89ºF range rather than what you have.