Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,186

0 members and 3,186 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Heating problems

I used to have heat lamps that came with the tank and both of them broke. So I went to Petco and got a heating pad. It's attached to the side and I'm using a radar gun to tell the temperature. It's 71 on the cold side, and 75 on the hot side. I'm really upset that I spend money on this and it's not hot enough. I have a dresser that the tank sits on, so the instructions say I should put on the side which I did but since it's not getting the side hot enough.. Could I put it underneath? It's a zoo med heating pad.
    i just don't know what to do.. I don't want to buy another heat lamp because if it's just going to keep breaking over a short period of time what's the point? I don't have money to buy more heating supplies.

Thanks
    You should be putting it on the bottom, snakes dont rest on the side of the cage.... and the heat pad isnt really going to bring the temps up inside the tank just the spot where its at, yiur going to either need ti raise the temps of the room or get your self a ceramic heat emitter for the light... also make sure not to use that heat pad without it being on a thermostat or you may burn the snake

3. The Following User Says Thank You to M.P.C For This Useful Post:

kitedemon (04-18-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Almost guaranteed that the room is too cool. If you have a glass tank they really do best in a room in the mid 70s. below this you then need to start heating the air in the tank and the open top works against you. I would suggest side turning it this makes it easier.

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...arium-Solution

Thanks
    The uth has to go under the tank. As stated you also need a thermostat to regulate the temp of the uth. I haven't used tanks for a long time but you can put things under it to get it off the dresser. I use to put pop bottle caps under the tank to prop it up a hair. I wasn't concerned with things starting on fire but was concerned with the tank sitting on the cord. There is absolutely no need for a lamp unless it is really cold in the room, like mid 60s or lower. If it is that cold then use a ceramic heat emitter.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Thanks

Re: Heating problems

If the ambient temperature is low in your tank, UTH will not raise them. You'll have to get another dome (if it's malfunctioning) or if the bulb went out, replace it with a CHE (ceramic heat emitter). CHE bulbs last much longer than othet heat emitting bulbs.
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Misha For This Useful Post:

kitedemon (04-20-2015)