Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,294

1 members and 3,293 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

New Ball Python Moving A lot

I just recently became a new snake owner of a young (I think about 2 months old) Ball Python. I bought her on Friday, about 3-4 days ago, and she ate on saturday. My temps are 90 in hot spot and 82 in cold side. I have 2 hides on each end and a water bowl. However, I just put in a hide bowl on the cold side for her 2 days ago and she didn't start using it until yesterday. Ever since I put that hide in she has been in there more than the hotter side. And yesterday is when she started to move around a lot, and still is! She's going on top of hides, around water bowl, around the whole tank over and over. She also looks like she's trying to get out. I have a salamander and I know when I first got him he was constantly glass surfing and trying to get out but eventually stopped, most likely because of getting used to tank. Is this the same scenario?

I have held her a few times and today is the first time she actually was completely moving on my hand and trying to climb on my forearm. I don't know what to think of this. Is it stress? Am I doing something wrong? Just worried since the first 2 or so days she did nothing but sit inside, or a little outside her hot side hide.

EDIT: She is in a plastic tub, about the dimensions of a 20 gallon. Substrate is paper towel.
    Last edited by AvengedGrace; 04-14-2015 at 04:54 PM.

Thanks
    I would leave her alone completely for at least a week. Being that you got her on friday, fed her on saturday and handled her a few times since then she is likely stressed. That may or may not be the reason she is cruising. Your setup sounds alright to me.

Thanks
    I think you'd want a smaller enclosure for a hatchling. Someone else may be able to point you in the right direction as I've never had a hatchling BP

BPnet Senior Member AlexisFitzy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,712 Times in 1,512 Posts

Re: New Ball Python Moving A lot

Has she been active all day or just during the night? If so she is either stressed out because of improper temps (may be to hot) or because her hides aren't secure so she's looking for somewhere to hide. How are you measuring temps? Are you using digital or analog thermometers? Sorry for all the questions but a thorough run down of your set up will help us help you and your snake A picture of your set up would be helpful as well.

Thanks

I'm building a reptile incubator and I was wondering if u can use a old air hockey fan in the incubator because right now I don't have a cpu fan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I'm using analog to measure temps.. I should probably head over to Walmart to get that Acurite temperature I see people posting about.

Hopefully that picture works. If not, here is the link: https://plus.google.com/111107975900...75900294539960

Thanks
    Now she's resting in warm hide..I hope she's happy, but if she's stressed I need to fix it. A good start I think would to get myself a digital therm.

BPnet Senior Member AlexisFitzy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,712 Times in 1,512 Posts

Definitely the analog thermometers are pretty inaccurate so it may be warmer than you think in her tub. Also are you using a thermostat to regular her under tank heater? Also are the hides she has snug? I'm not sure of her size but ball pythons love a very tight fitting hide and if it's snuggly enough then they will roam to find a tighter more secure hide.