Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,282

0 members and 3,282 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Fiesty Ball Python

I've had my ball python almost 2 weeks now. I left him completely alone apart from watering/re-moisturizing the moss until feeding day. Every time I go into the tank, he strikes at me. I've come to the point where I immediately remove the hide he's in, cover him with a towel and do my cleaning/maintenance.

I haven't been tagged yet, but I find it harder and harder to get myself to attempt to hold him the more he strikes at me. I've had him in my hand while covered up with the towel, but couldn't bring myself to lift the towel in fear of being bit.

Do you thing the aggression may be from fear, husbandry that's not on point, or just the character of the snake? Also looking for possible solutions to grow some balls and just hold him to start getting him used to being held occasionally.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Re: Fiesty Ball Python

Quote Originally Posted by oopslala View Post
    I've had my ball python almost 2 weeks now. I left him completely alone apart from watering/re-moisturizing the moss until feeding day. Every time I go into the tank, he strikes at me. I've come to the point where I immediately remove the hide he's in, cover him with a towel and do my cleaning/maintenance.

I haven't been tagged yet, but I find it harder and harder to get myself to attempt to hold him the more he strikes at me. I've had him in my hand while covered up with the towel, but couldn't bring myself to lift the towel in fear of being bit.

Do you thing the aggression may be from fear, husbandry that's not on point, or just the character of the snake? Also looking for possible solutions to grow some balls and just hold him to start getting him used to being held occasionally.
    What are your temps? You have enough places for him to hide and feel secure? He may be striking because he's insecure or the environment is off.

Just out of curiosity, how big is he/she as far as weight?
    Last edited by 200xth; 04-14-2015 at 03:37 PM.
    It is okay to use pine bedding for snakes.
    It is okay to feed live food to snakes.

Thanks

Hot spot hangs around 90 and the other end is at about 80. At first he used the hide over the hot spot which is the most secure for him, the other one is a little less secure with a hole in the side of the fake log. Humidity is only at about 30 but I keep the bowl full at all times and i moisten the moss every other day, which i place in the back of each hide and in corners of the tank.

I've attempted to feed him once and it was successful.

He is about 200grams, give or take 50.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oopslala View Post
    Hot spot hangs around 90 and the other end is at about 80. At first he used the hide over the hot spot which is the most secure for him, the other one is a little less secure with a hole in the side of the fake log. Humidity is only at about 30 but I keep the bowl full at all times and i moisten the moss every other day, which i place in the back of each hide and in corners of the tank.

I've attempted to feed him once and it was successful.

He is about 200grams, give or take 50.
    How are you measuring the temps? Temp gun? Digital thermometer? Analog dial gauges? Same with humidity. Digital or analog?

You might want to get a second hide that's more secure for the cool end, or cover up the hole to make it as closed in as the other one.

If he's only 200g, you may want to just reach in and pick him up. Even if he bites you at that size it won't do anything. Lift the towel and cover him with your hand if you want at first.
    It is okay to use pine bedding for snakes.
    It is okay to feed live food to snakes.

Thanks
    Just go in and grab him dont worry about getting tagged, its all part of owning a snake, just be confident when you go in and dont be timid about it

6. The Following User Says Thank You to M.P.C For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (04-14-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 200xth View Post
    How are you measuring the temps? Temp gun? Digital thermometer? Analog dial gauges? Same with humidity. Digital or analog?

You might want to get a second hide that's more secure for the cool end, or cover up the hole to make it as closed in as the other one.

If he's only 200g, you may want to just reach in and pick him up. Even if he bites you at that size it won't do anything. Lift the towel and cover him with your hand if you want at first.
    Measuring temps with a temp gun, humidity I'm using digital.

I'm thinking about replacing them both with the easier plastic hides that are less appealing to the eye.

I know it shouldn't hurt if he bites its just a snake lunging at you is quite intimidating for a newbie.

Thanks
    I was really, really nervous when I got my first bp a few weeks ago. I picked him out from a breeder and was too afraid to even hold him there! He looked really relaxed when the breeder held him, so I took a chance and brought him home, lol. For the first week, I left him alone. When it came time for me to try holding him, I was really nervous. The breeder gave me a few tips that really helped me relax and I shall pass them on to you.

A bp strikes wherever his head is facing. If he lunges, he'll lunge toward the place he's looking. If you pick him up from behind, he's not going to swing back and get you.

Also, before you pick him up, reach in and pet his back a little (with him facing away from you). Then pick him up. He'll get used to the touch and know he's going to be taken out.

And finally, if you don't like the way he's sitting in the enclosure, use a hide or something and very gently move him to a better position to pick him up.

Those things really helped me. And the more I handled him, the more relaxed I became. I'm not afraid anymore

Thanks
    How was his temper after feeding, he could have been hungry when you got him then the 2 week wait... could have just been looking for food