Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,193

0 members and 3,193 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Odd night behavior in BP? Help please!!

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Hi guys, I need some advice and opinions on the behavior of my BP at night. She's about 1-2 years old, pinstripe morph and aside from the weird behavior at night, she acts totally normal...literally. She sleeps and hides all day then comes out when the sun goes down and does this weird thing. I've read about IBD and of course have gotten myself all nervous and paranoid about it so here goes: I've had her for three weeks [/COLOR]this Saturday (4/18)[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)] and she's done this almost every night. The only times she doesn't do it is the first night or two after she eats. She gets a good sized live rat every Wednesday and has not refused feed. She has normal bowel movements and urates. Currently she's in a 15gal tank with a large hide over on the warm side and a nice tight log to sit in on the cool side with a large stone dish of water. The temp on the warm side under her hide is 90 degrees while the cool side stays about 79-80. The humidity is about 55% but I've been raising it slowly since she's been showing signs of shedding. However this weird behavior, as I said, only happens at night. And if I take her out and hold her for a few minutes, then put her back in the tank, she'll stop the weird movements. I've tried holding her tail to see how her muscle density is and it seems fine. I've put her on her back and she quickly rights herself with no problem at all. Again, totally normal behavior except when she's alone in her tank at night. I'll post a video to see what you all think. Is she just looking for a way out of her tank? Or is this possibly something worse?? Any and all advice is welcome!! Thanks in advance![/COLOR]

Thanks
    Looks like a spider wobble.

Thanks
    Can you post a picture of her head so we can be sure she doesn't have any spider in her? My best guess would be that she's a misidentified spinner, but from what I can see of her head and neck I don't think so. I don't think this points to any kind of health issue, though. It is weird to see something that doesn't traditionally wobble showing that behavior, but I don't know if it's anything besides just weird.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Daigga For This Useful Post:

RaeDee (04-14-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Have you treated for mites lately? Switched to a new disinfectant or cleaner lately?

It has the ear marks of poisoning or a neurological disorder. HOWEVER it could also just be odd royal things one of mine likes to try to balance on his door top and will fall, he then starts all over again.

If you are certain there is not poisoning possible (that includes flea treatments esp pyrethroids) it could be nothing at all or even OCD it happens sometimes in captive animals. If you can rule out the other things you could try some enrichment, I use a ping pong ball just rub it on something different, like your car seat and transfer it to the enclosure. New object new smells mine often investigate them. After a few days I remove it and add something else.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

RaeDee (04-14-2015)

Thanks

Re: Odd night behavior in BP? Help please!!

I have checked her for mites and the reptile store I bought her from did a preventative treatment for mites before I even brought her home, so she's clear on the mites. I have two reptile carpets that I switch out weekly or whenever she soils it and I simply wash the dirty one by hand with a little dawn soap and hot water. I rinse it really thoroughly too. Like rinsed to the point where I would feel comfortable eating off it! Haha And like I said, she's done this since the first night I had her. I'll try to post a pic as soon as I figure out how haha I'm new on here! Still figuring everything out!

Thanks
    Does look an awful lot like the spider corkscrew/wobble. Daigga may be onto something if it's indeed a Spinner and not a Pin. Interesting
    Cheers, Jeff

Thanks

Here's a pic, hope it works! If not, I have uploaded pictures of her on my profile so you can see the pics there for sure.

Thanks
    She kinda looks like a mix of a pinstripe and a spider to me

Thanks

Ah here we go ]

So you guys think it's a no on the IBD? I feel like she would be showing other and more frequent/severe symptoms if it were something serious...
    Last edited by RaeDee; 04-14-2015 at 10:26 AM.

Thanks
    Well there's no spider there, so I'm stumped. Sounds like her husbandry is on point, does she have any problems eating or is she pretty regular? If everything is good except the head wobbles I wouldn't be overly worried, but then I don't know a whole lot about what would cause random wobble-like behavior.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Daigga For This Useful Post:

RaeDee (04-14-2015)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast