Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,365

1 members and 2,364 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,146
Threads: 248,588
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Strider21
    Thanks

Can my snake enjoy being pet? Or does it annoy him?

My snake is a ball python so he usually hides quite a bit. I was leaving him alone since he was in shed but now he just got out. Anyway so when he's in a ball I just well pet him with my finger and his body moves when I touch it. Then he instantly comes out of hiding and he can just move around as he pleases. If I don't pet him, he can hide for a very long time before he decides to come out. Am I annoying him by doing this of is this actually a way he learns to trust that I won't hurt him?

Thanks
    Honestly it just all depends on the snakes individual personality whether it's going to take to the "petting" and know you're safe, or whether the action will annoy the snake. Either are possible, all I can offer up is my own experience with my 2 snakes. I generally always kind of "stroked" the bp with my thumb while I hold, kind of like petting, and I guess they both took to accepting it. However, I also give them a "pet" before I take them out, just so they know it's me, so maybe they associate being petted with "time to com out and play"? Who knows.

For what it's worth my new Lil guy seemed to understand instantly that gently petting meant it was ok to unball and relax.
    Last edited by magicmed; 04-14-2015 at 02:35 AM.

Thanks
    I agree with the above, it depends on the snake. My boa seems to like it, but my corn snake could care less.