Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,393

3 members and 1,390 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,111
Threads: 248,549
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, GhostyBoy29
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    It doesn't matter if they are in shed or not, it wont hurt them to eat.

Some snakes will eat, and some wont. You will learn each individual preference with time.

With that said, most of mine will take a meal while in shed. In fact I think the stretch from the meal helps the shedding process (No scientific evidence to back this up, just a personal observation.)

Thanks
    I have 1 probe thermoter on the hot side and a stick on thermoter on the cold side. I figured the air temp is roughly the same on both sides sonce my cage set up is a glass cage. Tin foil up top. 100 watt black bulb. Just put her on paper towels a few days ago after reading the bedding can potientially have mites. I do have some moss about the cage to help with the humidity. And a large water dish near the light. And a humidity\ thermoter stick on thing that came with the cage. I'll upgrade that to a better hergometer or however you spell it next time I get paid.

Thanks
    Instead of making a bunch of new threads I'll just post a bunch of questions here. 1. How often do you guys handle your snake? 2. How often should I feed my snake? I've read lots of different opinions. I haven't weighed or measured her in anyway. But she's big. The first time I fed her was 2 weeks ago and I fed her a medium feeder rat. I noticed she was "hunting" in her cage the last 2 days so I bought a large to see if she could handle it. I did do a hand measurement. Her girth is right around my finger tips to my thumb tip. So when I got the rat I knew not to go bigger then that. 3. I notice she yawns after eating. Normal?

Thanks
    And an hour after feeding we are right back in the water bowl....

- - - Updated - - -

Jk it was a short dip. On to the cold side? I have a belly heater for your digestion. Use it young lady!!!

Thanks
    Peach yawns twice every time she eats... she yawns once the tail goes down looks around a little bit and yawns again in like 30 seconds like clock work then looks at me for the next prey

Thanks

Re: My girl won't stop soaking in water dish???

Quote Originally Posted by Motoguy94 View Post
    I have 1 probe thermoter on the hot side and a stick on thermoter on the cold side. I figured the air temp is roughly the same on both sides sonce my cage set up is a glass cage. Tin foil up top. 100 watt black bulb. Just put her on paper towels a few days ago after reading the bedding can potientially have mites. I do have some moss about the cage to help with the humidity. And a large water dish near the light. And a humidity\ thermoter stick on thing that came with the cage. I'll upgrade that to a better hergometer or however you spell it next time I get paid.
    I'm no expert in heating matters, but could it be that the enclosure is too hot from the uth and the black bulb combined?
    If there is no mites and adequate hides are provided, there is a possibility that the temperature is too high or the humidity is too low, in my opinion.
    Also, snakes in shed will tend to search for higher humidity spots to aid in shedding.

1.0 Bumblebee (Bee) 0.1 Pastave (Mo) 0.1 Yellowbelly (Elly) 1.0 Green het Granite Burmese Python (Dot) 1.0 Green Burmese Python (Spot) 1.0 Caramel Reticulated Python (Haro) 1.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Anubis & Sheba)

0.0.2 Red Eared Slider (Tete & Gugu) 0.0.2 Centruroides Nigrescens 0.0.5 Parabuthus Transvaalicus 0.0.2 Parabuthus Brevimanus 0.0.3 Rhopalurus Junceus 2.1 Androctonus Australis Hector 0.3 Hottentotta Hottentotta 0.2 Tityus Stigmurus 0.1 Scolopendra Dehaani "Cherry Red" 0.0.2 Scolopendra Subspinipes "Thai Jewel"

Thanks

Instead of making a bunch of new threads I'll just post a bunch of questions here. 1. How often do you guys handle your snake? 2. How often should I feed my snake? I've read lots of different opinions. I haven't weighed or measured her in anyway. But she's big. The first time I fed her was 2 weeks ago and I fed her a medium feeder rat. I noticed she was "hunting" in her cage the last 2 days so I bought a large to see if she could handle it. I did do a hand measurement. Her girth is right around my finger tips to my thumb tip. So when I got the rat I knew not to go bigger then that. 3. I notice she yawns after eating. Normal?
    I handle my BPs almost everyday. However, it is advisable to let a newly acquired snake to 'settle in' the new enclosure and avoid handling for a couple of days.
    I feed my BPs on a weekly basis with one appropriately sized feeder rat.

1.0 Bumblebee (Bee) 0.1 Pastave (Mo) 0.1 Yellowbelly (Elly) 1.0 Green het Granite Burmese Python (Dot) 1.0 Green Burmese Python (Spot) 1.0 Caramel Reticulated Python (Haro) 1.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Anubis & Sheba)

0.0.2 Red Eared Slider (Tete & Gugu) 0.0.2 Centruroides Nigrescens 0.0.5 Parabuthus Transvaalicus 0.0.2 Parabuthus Brevimanus 0.0.3 Rhopalurus Junceus 2.1 Androctonus Australis Hector 0.3 Hottentotta Hottentotta 0.2 Tityus Stigmurus 0.1 Scolopendra Dehaani "Cherry Red" 0.0.2 Scolopendra Subspinipes "Thai Jewel"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,497 Posts

I've had two girls soak in their water bowl this year. The first could barely fit as you can see here. She stayed in there for days and then came out and went through a shed and then started to glow.
    [IMG][/IMG]

The second girl spent the entire shed cycle in her bowl (7 days) and then came out to shed. She is now looking very bright so my guess is she is going to ovulate here soon.

[IMG][/IMG]

In both instances, neither girl had ever done this before going through shed. All I had done previously was mist them to keep the humidity up during the shed cycle. I also have no mites so I think this is linked to the building phase as they move towards ovulation. Is your female a virgin? Has she been paired this year or before? it may have something to do with it.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Smile Re: My girl won't stop soaking in water dish???

First, never feed a new addition to your collection before you have quarantined them for at least 2 to 3 weeks. That time frame is enough to allow him to acclimate to a new environment and for you to rule out some potential illnesses. Most people quarantine new animals for 90 days! I quarantine for 30 days unless I see or hear something suspicious. I don't handle my bp's unless I am cleaning or for some reason have to examine them. You should keep track of their weights for managing their growth and food requirements. Hope this helped.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

1. Rarely. If I want to handle a snake, I get my rat snake or one of the BRB's out. The BP's I generally leave alone except for one who I take out maybe once a week just to handle.

2. Depends. Some eat more than others. Some prefer smaller meals than others. Some will eat more often than others. If you aren't sure, start at once a week and make adjustments from there.

3. Probably realigning her jaws which come unhinged when eating.
    Last edited by 200xth; 04-14-2015 at 09:44 AM.
    It is okay to use pine bedding for snakes.
    It is okay to feed live food to snakes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast