Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,438

2 members and 3,436 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

My girl won't stop soaking in water dish???

Ok so I bought a 3 year old ball python 3 weeks ago, fed her the first day. She ate immediately, no problems with that. But for the last 3 days she stays in her water dish. Her cold did is between 75-78 constantly. Humidity is 50-70%. Depending if I just sprayed it with a water bottle. The hot side is 85-88 with an uth with a thermostat. Her eyes aren't foggy. She isn't making bubbly noises or anything like that. I read that aspen bedding can have mites which is what I originally had her on. For the last 4 days I've had her just on paper towels. Can't find mites on her. But am I not looking hard enough?

Thanks
    If she is soaking as much as you say look in the water bowl for what looks like black pepper.

Thanks

Re: My girl won't stop soaking in water dish???

Also if you hold her and see black specks crawling around your hand. I'd go out and buy some PAM and reptile spray as soon as possible cuz you got your self mites. I'm dealing with them on my little girl right now

Thanks
    Usually they will soak for 2 main reasons.

One being that the snake has mites. And two being that there is not an adequate hide, and the snake is using the water bowl for security purposes.

Thanks
    I have 2 hides. Just card board boxes I made as a temporary thing. She's in the middle of swallowing a rat right now so I figured that was all good. Since I've read they won't eat if something is out of wack. But I guess both of her hides are a little tall. Like does she not feel secure? Thanks for quick responses!!

Thanks
    I'm holding the water dish right now. Granted I changed it this morning but she has obviously peed in it (urates floating) and I've got it in the light. No black pepper.

Thanks
    you dont want the hides much bigger then the snake, the snugger they are the happier they will be... any black specs in the water or on the snake look around the eyes, nose, heat vents, mouth and under the chin in that little slit and also check around the poop chute, or its like tsanford said

Thanks
    Might be answering my own question. Noticed a slight pink twinge to her belly.... So she is going to shed. Did I mess up by feeding her....

Thanks
    You can try putting in smaller hides for her to make her feel more secure.
    Also, try putting her on paper towel as substrate, that way its easier to spot mites which will appear as black dots. They will usually gather around the eyes, pit and nose area.
    If there is no mites, check your temperature on both ends of the hides and humidity too. Getting a proper thermometer and hygrometer is equally important.

1.0 Bumblebee (Bee) 0.1 Pastave (Mo) 0.1 Yellowbelly (Elly) 1.0 Green het Granite Burmese Python (Dot) 1.0 Green Burmese Python (Spot) 1.0 Caramel Reticulated Python (Haro) 1.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Anubis & Sheba)

0.0.2 Red Eared Slider (Tete & Gugu) 0.0.2 Centruroides Nigrescens 0.0.5 Parabuthus Transvaalicus 0.0.2 Parabuthus Brevimanus 0.0.3 Rhopalurus Junceus 2.1 Androctonus Australis Hector 0.3 Hottentotta Hottentotta 0.2 Tityus Stigmurus 0.1 Scolopendra Dehaani "Cherry Red" 0.0.2 Scolopendra Subspinipes "Thai Jewel"

Thanks
    I always heard mixed thoughts on feeding while in the shed process but more often then not i hear.... if they take it your fine, some may refuse to eat some wont all depends on the snake

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast