Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,255

1 members and 3,254 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Strange Behaviors

Hey Everyone,

I currently have 5 ball pythons. Two of them are 2000g females, one adult male, one 1200ish g female, and one 900ish g male. For the first time since I've had them (about 16 months) all 5 of them have decided to stop feeding at once. They are all in a rack system with an 88 degree hotspot. None of them seem lethargic, and none of them are losing weight. The thing that I find slightly concerning is the behaviour of the two younger ones.

The 1200g female has always had a really strong feeding response. She has been off food for about three weeks but I open her tub she shoots out like a jack in the box. When im trying to feed her she jumps straight past the rat and keeps on going. She hasnt struck at my fingers or anything but she seems really hungry, but uninterested in the rat.

The male has struck and wrapped his food for the third week in a row, but after that he just leaves it there. I havn't had this problem before, but he is trying to look for the head and then just seems to lose interest.

Are these normal behaviours? Should I just keep trying to feed once a week or do you guys have any suggestions?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Cheers,
    ---------------------------------------------------
    0.1 Lesser
    0.1 Wild Type
    0.1 Pastel
    1.0 Butter Enchi

0.0.1 Childrens Python

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Are you sure the temps are right? Sometimes incage thermometers go bad (mine is about 2 degrees off). Are you feeding live, ft, fresh killed, stunned? If you are doing FT try heating the rodent up till it's about 100 degrees sometimes this will help feeding responses.

Thats just some stuff I would check/try. If they aren't losing weight I think you're fine. Maybe make sure you aren't bothering them too much (with handling etc.). Is the female gravid? Is it BP breeding season? Sometimes that will cause adults to go off feeding.

Thanks
    Yes, I am feeding f/t

and the larger females may be gravid, im not sure. Im less concerned that they have gone off food, and more concerned about their behaviours.

Thanks for the tips
    ---------------------------------------------------
    0.1 Lesser
    0.1 Wild Type
    0.1 Pastel
    1.0 Butter Enchi

0.0.1 Childrens Python

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Smile Re: Strange Behaviors

Quote Originally Posted by Krynn View Post
    Yes, I am feeding f/t

and the larger females may be gravid, im not sure. Im less concerned that they have gone off food, and more concerned about their behaviours.

Thanks for the tips
    It's a little unclear what the female is doing when she comes at you from the tub and past the rat? Imo, I would pair the male and females back together. I would rule out any possibility of illness as well! Those are two main reasons bp's go off food. Double check your husbandry numbers. Good luck. Stay in peace and not pieces.

Thanks

Re: Strange Behaviors

Quote Originally Posted by Jhill001 View Post
    Are you feeding live, ft, fresh killed, stunned?
    Stunned mice or rats are not part of how feeders should be fed to your snakes. They're actually very dangerous and could do a lot of damage. Please don't suggest it as a normal way of feeding because it's not only cruel to the feeders, it's absolutely wrong way to feed your snake.
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)