Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,213

1 members and 3,212 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

automotive fluids...

Hey all I've had this on my mind a few weeks now, wondering if you guys can help me out a bit.

I like to handle my bp about every other day or so (skipping feeding time and shed days Obviously) so relatively frequently, my big concern is I am an automotive tech, and a lot of days I have my hands and arms covered in motor oil, trannys and brake fluid, grease, and just about anything else you can think of, and I have a big concern about this.

Obviously I wash up VERY well with fast orange or another pumis or grit based oil cleaner in the shop. Then again when I get home with soap. The problem is even after a few hours after a very good scrubbing, I can still smell faint hints of transmission fluid on my hands. I have not been handling loki on the days I can still detect remnants of trans fluid for fear of it harming loki. My question is should I continue this strict no handling protocol on the days I can still smell the trans fluid? (keep in mind trans fluid is some nasty stuff, they tell us to wear gloves and avoid cuts because apparently it can cause cancer, but the gloves don't cover my arms and that's my main concern, as loki normally hangs out around my arm.)

I just wanted to know if I'm doing the right thing, or am I being too paranoid?

Registered User MontyAndMelissa's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: automotive fluids...

Its better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MontyAndMelissa View Post
    Its better to be safe than sorry.
    That's how I've been looking at it. It sucks when your occupation get in the way of your pet haha. It's only the trans fluid that worries me. It's the only smell that lingers after good washing ><
    Last edited by magicmed; 04-10-2015 at 11:48 PM.

Registered User MontyAndMelissa's Avatar
    Thanks

Transmission fluid and antifreeze are both extremely toxic to all animals.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MontyAndMelissa View Post
    Transmission fluid and antifreeze are both extremely toxic to all animals.
    The coolant doesn't concern me too much with loki, it washes off pretty darn well when you hit it with some Solvant. But you're right, coolant is very toxic to animals, and it has a sweet scent to a lot of animals like dogs and cats. Proper disposal of ANY automotive fluid is vital. I HATE seeing used oil pans thrown in drains. Not many people know that only one quart of oil can contaminate 250,000 gallons of water, the average 4 cylinder car is going to run about 4 quarts of oil, that oil change just contaminated a million gallons of water If it's just dumped down the drain. Then there's surface contamination and animal hazards to worry about. didn't mean this thread to go in this direction lol but anyone reading this thread, please dispose of all automotive fluids properly. Walmart will do it for you.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts

Wear a clean long-sleeved shirt and gardening gloves when you handle your snake if you still smell chemicals on your hands even after washing, so your snake doesn't come into direct contact with your skin.

Thanks
    Fellow mechanic here and ill second thst one, i hate getting trans fluid on me, smell is basically impossible to wash away

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts
    I've dumped trans fluid on my head once, taking a pan down and all the fluid shifted to the other side of the pan my head was under, took about a week to get that smell out of my hair....

However looking at an msds sheet for trans fluid I don't think I would worry about it. I mean here are the parts you are worried about:

Acute Health Effects:Inhalation: This product has a low vapor pressure and is not expected to present an inhalation hazard at ambient conditions. Caution should be taken to prevent aerosolization or misting of this product. On rare occasions, prolonged and repeated exposure to oil mist poses a risk of pulmonary disease such as chronic lung inflammation. Signs of respiratory effects vary with concentration and length of exposure and include nasal discharge, sore throat, coughing, bronchitis, pulmonary edema and difficulty breathing. Shortness of breath and cough are the most common symptoms.

Chronic Health Effects: From MSDS
    Prolonged or repeated contact may result in oil acne which is characterized by blackheads with possible secondary infection.
    On rare occasions, prolonged and repeated exposure to oil mist poses a risk of pulmonary disease such as chronic lung inflammation.

First Aid: Inhalation: This material has a low vapor pressure and is not expected to present an inhalation exposure at ambient conditions.
    Ingestion: Do not induce vomiting. No treatment is necessary under ordinary circumstances. If victim exhibits signs of lung aspiration such as coughing or choking, seek immediate medical assistance.

Health Rating: 1
    Flammability Rating: 1
    Reactivity Rating: 0
    HMIS Rating Scale: 0 = Minimal; 1 = Slight; 2 = Moderate; 3 = Serious; 4 = Severe;
    N = No information provided by manufacturer; * = Chronic Health Hazard
    It sounds like they are talking about inhaling a mist and not just the odor. It doesn't seem to be worrisome. I was sucking that odor down for a week when I dumped it on my head and besides not having much of a sense of smell temporarily, I saw no other side effects. I'm sure you have more of it running through your system than I ever did. Personally I wouldn't stress about it, however....

Some points:
    You asked the question and I answered, I take no responsibility for your animals, do what you think is best for them.
    Animals are different than humans, which msds sheets are specifically talking about humans.
    Every brand and every type of trans fluid for that brand will have its own separate msds sheet.

Thanks
    Turned wrenches for most of my career, the smell of trans and gear oil lingers, sometimes for days. Usually used mechanix gloves for most things, rubber gloves for messy things like packing bearings, or working on something oil soaked, but did keep a box of arm length gloves around for the real messy stuff, RV septic tanks, fiberglass, hydraulic and diesel fuel repairs and trans work. Snap-on guy used to carry these:http://www.saraglove.com/Disposable-...DXMBoCb2Pw_wcB

I wouldn't worry too much of the effects the smell has after thoroughly washing up with industrial hand cleaner, or especially if you take a shower when you get home, provided you didn't take an unfortunate bath in ATF. The smell is annoying, but without direct contact with the fluid or vapor beyond the slight lingering smell, I doubt it's harmful, although be sure to keep an eye out for anything out of place, rashes, discoloration etc just in case.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Was a mechanic myself and as others have said, I used latex gloves for messy stuff like bearings, oil/trans or any fluid drains/fills/changes. As for arms, just wear a long sleeve shirt when handling your snake until a few showers to fully remove trans fluid or other stuff that never seems to want to come off. But personally I wouldn't really worry too much as its not like the snake is literally crawling in trans fluid, just that residual smell and like I said, just toss on a long sleeve shirt and you should be good to go.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 04-11-2015 at 03:15 PM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie