Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,280

1 members and 3,279 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Temperature issues

I'm a brand new ball python owner, just got my first one last Wednesday.Her name is Delphyne. She's about three months old and is an adorable little standard morph and I fed her for the first time last night. I've had some technical difficulties with the heater that I got her and all I have otherwise is a little red heat lamp that doesn't provide that much heat. I unfortunately have to leave town early tomorrow, but I'm hoping that my mother will be able to get a new side mount heater and be able to properly mount it. Until then, she will be at the ambient temperature of my room, which is generally in the low 70s sometimes getting a low as around 68. I've read that they should always be kept at around mid 70s to high 80s. How worried should I be about this issue? if she isn't able to get a proper heater until I get back on Monday should I be worried?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts
    What kind of heater do you have and what kind of technical difficulties are you having?
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Temperature issues

Well, the snake does need a hot spot of at least 80f, but 90f is preferable. If you can provide a hot spot, then the ambient temp at room temp should be alright for a few days until you get another heater. And don't forget, always put a thermostat or dimmer on the heat pad!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Difficulties?
    Side mount?
    More explanation on your end would help.
    Yes, any time the temperatures are not correct is a time to worry.

Start here:

Thanks
    It is a side mounted heater. It just isn't putting off very much heat, not sure why It seems that the only warm spot is right where the heater is on the glass. I'm going to get a new one and it should be hooked up by tonight hopefully. For the time being I am just using the one that I currently have in conjunction with the small infrared heat lamp to give her as much warmth as possible. There is also always a water dish available so if it does get too how, which I doubt, she can use it to cool herself. There will always be someone home to monitor her and her temperature until this mess can be sorted out.

Thank you so much for your advice as I learn all the ins and outs of caring for my snake.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Re: Temperature issues

Quote Originally Posted by JM7119 View Post
    It is a side mounted heater. It just isn't putting off very much heat, not sure why It seems that the only warm spot is right where the heater is on the glass. I'm going to get a new one and it should be hooked up by tonight hopefully. For the time being I am just using the one that I currently have in conjunction with the small infrared heat lamp to give her as much warmth as possible. There is also always a water dish available so if it does get too how, which I doubt, she can use it to cool herself. There will always be someone home to monitor her and her temperature until this mess can be sorted out.

Thank you so much for your advice as I learn all the ins and outs of caring for my snake.
    If you're talking about a heat mat (heat pad, heat tape, UTH, etc), then it's functioning exactly how it should be functioning. They're meant to raise the temperature of what they're in contact with and not meant to raise the temperature of the entire enclosure much at all. I'd put money on the glass where the heater is actually being way too hot for your BP. The picture shown above is how to properly mount a heat mat (i.e., with a thermostat) to make sure that the surface your snake is resting on doesn't become too hot and burn your snake.

How are you measuring your temperatures? An infrared heat gun (you don't have to spend more than $20-$30 on one) is going to be your best bet. Here's one I recommend: Etekcity Lasergrip 1080 (ETC 8550)
    Do you have a thermostat at all? If not, this is probably the most important piece of equipment you can buy for your snake to keep it safely. Here's the brand I recommend: Spyder Robotics Herpstat
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Alan For This Useful Post:

JM7119 (04-12-2015),PitOnTheProwl (04-10-2015)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    I have a feeling you are using an UTH stuck to the side of your tank?
    Not the best choice for the husbandry of your snake.
    You can try to remove the heater but slow and gently.
    Most of the time you will damage it removing it but they can be taken off without damage.
    Either way, next time get some aluminum foil tape and make the mat easy to remove.
    To do this you will lay the mat on a table sticky side up and cover it with foil tape sticky side down. Now you will just use a couple pieces of foil tape on the edges to hold it in place.

Dont forget to get a thermostat BEFORE you put your heat mat in the better location.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

JM7119 (04-12-2015)

Thanks
    You might want to look into radiant heat panel (rhp) with a thermostat. They are meant to heat the ambient cage temp. Meanwhile, your current temps are too low, though safe. However, getting a feeding response and/or proper digestion will be a problem for a snake constantly maintained at these temps.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I use the green heat mats from big apple Herp because they don't have to stick to anything. Because I have two enclosures and wanted to save some money I got one slightly larger one and placed it halfway under both tanks (5.5) and have the thermostat probe wedged between the two tanks directly on the pad and set so the pad won't get dangerously hot. I then went around with my infrared thermometer and dialed in the temps I wanted based on how hot I let the pad get.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Read more,get the "Proper" setup for a ball python,then get the animal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast