Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,212

2 members and 3,210 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Is breeding rats worth it?

I have only 3 ball pythons and am expanding and Im going to breed soon, so I was wondering if I should breed rats or keep buying them? My mom is not too fond of live rats being in the house but she will tolerate them.

Thanks
    Will your snakes take f/t, or are they picky about live feeding? I didn't start breeding rats until I had 7 ball pythons and started flinching when the feeding bill came around. Rats are much higher maintenance than snakes, and much less forgiving of husbandry mistakes, especially when housed together! It couldn't hurt to have a colony, particularly when you have little snakes around, but just know that the rats will soon take up as much if not more of your time than the snakes.

If your prepared for all that, then by all means. You could get some young female to start with and raise them up to a proper size, which should give you some time to familiarize yourself with rat husbandry and make sure you have some quality females (it's just as important with rats as with snakes).

Thanks

Re: Is breeding rats worth it?

3 is not worth it. I have 7 ball pythons and it still wasn't worth it. Rats take alot of time, you will go through a lot of food. They Smell and required almost daily or every other day cage cleanings. Don't forget vet bills if something goes wrong. It is nice to have your own colony and supply of rats when you need them but it was way to much work for only 7 snakes. Do alot of research is my advice and see if it's something your willing to do.

0.1 Spider
    0.1 Cinnamon
    1.0 Mojave
    1.0 Butter Pastel het OG
    1.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier x Rhodesian Ridgeback

BPnet Senior Member Solarsoldier001's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,086 Times in 785 Posts

I have 40+ snakes. Well worth it. When I had 4 snakes. Not at all. It was so much work and the smell was awful. Now I'm happy we breed because it beats paying $80 a week for feed

Sent from iPhone 6 using tapatalk
    Boys:________________________________________________________________________________ __________________________
    Pewter - Dexter | Butter 100% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Butters | Super Fire - Mr. Buttons | Mystic - Charming | Banana Enchi Woma - Gizmo |
    Girls:________________________________________________________________________________ __________________________
    Pinstripe - Honey | Mojave - Maya | Lesser - Pepper | Calico 50% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Jewel | Normal 100% Het Pied - Hinata | Butter 100% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Aurora | Spider 100% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Betsy | Blue Eye Leustic 50% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Snowflake | Spinner Blast - Jasmin | Butterbee - Ariel | Hypo Butter - Penelope |

Banned
    Thanks

I just started to breed my own but I have 19 snakes and from my wife's math I'm just barley breaking even. The only reason I am still breeding rats is for for upcoming babies because my local rat supplier doesn't like getting rid of all his litters. You have to factor in the cageing the food supplies etc. It adds up quick. I will see if I can find a link that breaks down costs. Imo no I would bulk order f/t
    Last edited by frostysBP; 04-07-2015 at 06:56 AM.

Thanks
    I have one ball at the moment.

I tried a breeding pair of rats to offset my cost. In 6 months I have no babies rats and 2 new pets lol.

I now have a harem of 3 lady mice and a little white stud. If you rotate it out right and keep good logs, you can plan your breeding so that your snake eats and you are not overruned with rodents. You will spend a little chunk to get up and running. I would say I may break even after a year or so of investment. The biggest cost is food and bedding. I got a nice tank with a mesh top from goodwill and picked up a bottle and wheel (build those delicious haunches ) offline for probably $20 shipped. I buy a bag of lab rodent blocks for $2 a pound or something from my local pet shop as well as a brick of pine bedding every few months.

If you have access to live feeders close by or if your buddy will eat frozen, its by far cheaper and much less of a hassle. I like raising my own for the peice of mind knowing my snake is chowing quality. And the mice are pretty cute too.

But I now essentially have 2 pet rats and 4 pet mice that take up garage space. Keep that in mind. Also, mice STINK compared to rats. I love the rats, great animals. Smart too. Mice, not so much.

Thanks

I try ed the breeding I got 2 males and 2 female and in the end all I got was 4 babies and 4 smelly mice so unless it will help you come out ahead will multiple snakes I would

Thanks

I would not

Thanks

Just working with them at a pet store, I would say no...unless you have well over 10 snakes, not really worth while. The reason being, after you surpass 2 or 3 in a cage, they start to stink quickly. We change out their cage at work 2 times weekly but they still reek and there's only 5... I guess it's what you can tolerate and want to take care of good luck, OP!

1.2 Normal
    1.1 Red-tail
    0.1 Albino corn
    2.1 Ball Python(Sterling, Boots, & Eden)
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa(Anakin)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon(Beatrix/Trixie)
    0.1 Kitty Cat(Willow)
    1.0 Chihuahua(Panda-Bear)
    2.0 Betta Fish(Finnley & Pescado)
    0.2 Rats(Mishka & Laney)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I'd say not worth it no matter how many snakes you own, unless you have a separate place from your home yo breed them. They really stink when kept in high concentrations in confined spaces like an apartment.

If you have a shed in your yard, sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast