Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,224

1 members and 3,223 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: The Live vs F/T debate

Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    You can love all living creatures and still feed live. Heck, I fed live while I was vegan because my snake would have starved otherwise.
    It is kinda odd that MILLIONS and MILLIONS of our UK snakes are more than happy enough to eat defrosted frozen mice and rats but the US ones would all apparently starve to death if they don't get LIVE ones .. weird .

Thanks

Re: Feeding live?

Quote Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post
    If I speak at one constant volume...

...At one constant pitch...

...At one constant rhythm...

...Right into your ear...

...You still won't hear...
    It's not a case of not hearing . I just don't think that you all need to be feeding LIVE .

Thanks

Re: The Live vs F/T debate

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritserpents View Post
    I only have corn snakes. I only feed frozen thawed. I'm also a vet tech so I'm more a 'save the small fuzzy creatures' type person. With all that aside, I am not against feeding live for a snake that is only going to take live. These things happen and I'd rather not have someone's pet starve to death. If people are careful, there are going to be very few accidents, but accidents can still occur. My sister-in-law used to work at a pet store and witnessed a rat kill a young ball python by tearing off a large chunk of its skull after it missed a strike. I have a rat snake that was fed live even after he went blind. The previous owner didn't leave the rats in with him for hours, but he still got injured a lot because he wasn't able to aim his strikes. I got him after he got bit in the roof of his mouth. He's 16 years old now and I'm fairly certain he's the snake equivalent of senile. Feeding live to him would not be responsible feeding. One simply needs to be aware of all the potential factors.
    Another voice of reason . Thank the lord .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritserpents View Post
    I only have corn snakes. I only feed frozen thawed. I'm also a vet tech so I'm more a 'save the small fuzzy creatures' type person. With all that aside, I am not against feeding live for a snake that is only going to take live. These things happen and I'd rather not have someone's pet starve to death. If people are careful, there are going to be very few accidents, but accidents can still occur. My sister-in-law used to work at a pet store and witnessed a rat kill a young ball python by tearing off a large chunk of its skull after it missed a strike. I have a rat snake that was fed live even after he went blind. The previous owner didn't leave the rats in with him for hours, but he still got injured a lot because he wasn't able to aim his strikes. I got him after he got bit in the roof of his mouth. He's 16 years old now and I'm fairly certain he's the snake equivalent of senile. Feeding live to him would not be responsible feeding. One simply needs to be aware of all the potential factors.
    A bit more evidence for the case AGAINST feeding LIVE !

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    It's not a case of not hearing . I just don't think that you all need to be feeding LIVE .
    Who are you to be telling everyone what to do? What makes you so superior? You're not opposed to killing rats for food, you just need someone else to do the dirty work for you. How does that make you any better?

You're not here to do anything except stir up fear with newbies over something you know zero about.

That's pathetic.
    Last edited by 200xth; 04-04-2015 at 08:08 PM.
    It is okay to use pine bedding for snakes.
    It is okay to feed live food to snakes.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 200xth For This Useful Post:

D1C (04-05-2015),se7en (04-04-2015),Stewart_Reptiles (04-04-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 200xth View Post
    Who are you to be telling everyone what to do? What makes you so superior? You're not opposed to killing rats for food, you just need someone else to do the dirty work for you. How does that make you any better?

You're not here to do anything except stir up fear with newbies over something you know zero about.

That's pathetic.
    I am simply opposed to LIVE feeding , is that such a crime ?

In the Reptile Community Ireland forum , even DISCUSSING the feeding of LIVE is not allowed as it's regarded as barbaric.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...ive_prey_1.jpg

Thanks

In the Reptile Community Ireland forum , even DISCUSSING the feeding of LIVE is not allowed as it's regarded as barbaric.

Thanks

I find the cultural difference in opinion really interesting. I wonder why it developed that way.

I'm in the "F/T whenever possible" camp but honestly, I think it's much more important how the rats are kept before they're fed, whether they're fed live or pre-killed. It's a quick exit either way, but I wish there was a better way of knowing the standard of care given to the rats before they become food. If anyone has recommendations for feeder breeders in Canada that feed and house their rodents properly I'd love some tips.

Thanks

Oh look, you posted one of those pictures just like Deborah said you would. That disgusting imagery is the result of an improper live feeding, do not assume a responsible owner would ever allow that to happen on their watch. Any excuse for that is a bad excuse.

How ridiculous that anyone could believe allowing an animal to die by a snake is any more barbaric than gassing it... On the contrary, the forbidding of such discussions is the height of ignorance. A proper community will at the very least provide reasons and examples based on real experience, not heresy based in something you read online or a graphic picture taken by someone who clearly had no clue what they were doing. Your crime is talking down to people and trying to make out owners who feed live as bad people. I do not care what you feed your own animals, I really don't. But when you come here and make owners who feed live out to be bad people I have a problem. I have read what you say, and have to admit so much of your argument is based on feelings and stories you've heard that clearly came from unreliable sources.

I feed live to my snakes that refuse to eat f/t. Would they probably make the switch if I was persistent? Probably. Am I willing to take my juveniles or my breeding females off of food for as long as it takes, even if it takes months? Absolutely not. I know I can feed live without danger, and as I said before the end result is the same for the rat.
    Last edited by Daigga; 04-04-2015 at 08:41 PM.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Daigga For This Useful Post:

D1C (04-05-2015),se7en (04-04-2015),SnakeBalls (04-05-2015),Stewart_Reptiles (04-04-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Are you putting words into mouth?

Did I say I fed live?

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast