Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,278

3 members and 3,275 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks

Tough one guys!! Need help!!!

Ok guys I'm stuck between getting a boa or another ball python we have two a normal female an male spider which are my husbands but should be mine haha...anyways for MY first snake I've looked into both so I need opinions to help me pick....my husband is no help ha he's raised both so we know what we're getting into or well he does I only know how big they get lol

Thanks
    I love boas but when they get big you almost always have to have someone else their to help you hold them when they get full grown. I have a BCI boa, male and he should only get to 7ft to 9ft (even 9ft is a bit big for a boa but I have seen it). He is only 5ft and is already hefty to hold onto. I personally love the ball pythons more though. Need less space and I can hold on to them far more easily. They are also a little less demanding on care.

They are both great snakes. Got to a reptile expo and hold on to both and find one that you can create a bond with.

Thanks

Re: Tough one guys!! Need help!!!

My friend has a full grown boa and I loved him but was a bit heavy when he decided to wrap his full body around me lol. Balls are neat I'm just super picky when it comes to what type I like and want lol. I just can't seem to pick between the two ha! Idk if we have any expos here plus its kinda hard to take all the kiddos they want everything an wanna touch everything haha

Thanks
    I have 5 year old twins and a 6 year old. Haha, I know what that is like. I cannot choose for you though. I will always choose ball pythons but if you really want that boa then there is nothing wrong with that.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Boa hands down! I love my little beeper but both of my boas are just so much more interactive and inquisitive. Plus when they get bigger, they aren't hiding 24/7 and mine seem to actually like to come out and wander around. But just be prepared for larger food, larger cages and larger poops!! Rosey my 6' girl is like a giant puppy dog, Victoria is almost a yearling so she is still only about 2'. They do put on some girth, if you want smaller, just buy a male and feed conservatively. Males stay much thinner than females. Rosey is fairly heavy but I just throw her around my shoulder and she holds onto me with her tail and off we go. just got to be careful not to bang her head on stuff as shes loves to check everything out lol. But definitely a boa!
    Last edited by Sauzo; 04-03-2015 at 09:34 PM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks

Lol I have a 6 yr old 4yr old almost 2 yr old and all BOYS an just got custody of my husbands daughter so its fun haha! Well honestly I've never been a snake person till I got Eve for my husband she's our 1 yr old normal ball cause my hubby is always working I get bored an take her out an two days ago or so I bought my hubby a 1 1/2 yr old handsome lil male ball python an he just wraps around my neck an just hangs on lol. I've found a guy with baby boas an I've been looking at one of his males I'm just so ahhhhh cause I can't choose an don't help that my husband wont help me decide either lol

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Well think of a boa as a giant BP that doesn't want to hide 24/7 and is more inquisitive. If you want something that doesn't get big though like 8-10' big, then make sure you get a male. They usually get around 5-6' average. Also BCI generally stay a little smaller than BCC which are true red tails. You can also look into smaller boas like Caulker Cay or Hog Island. Both of those stay smaller around 4-6'. I hear they are pretty docile too but I have never owned one so cant vouch for that. Both of my BCI girls though are like lounge snakes. And Dottie my pied beeper is like a rock with eyes that eats rats once a week lol.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 04-03-2015 at 09:47 PM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (04-14-2015),AmandaJ (04-05-2015)

Thanks
    Pull it out of hat? But boa in the hat three times and ball python in a hat three times and let fate decide. That is what I do. Or inny minny miney mo! <- Is that how you would spell it? lol.

Thanks

. I've been looking at this male

Thanks
    Wow, he is very pretty. Very dark too. At least that is a BCI and not a BCC. So he should not get any larger then 9ft. 7ft average. Go for it.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast