Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,253

3 members and 3,250 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question about Parakeets

Hey all,

I'm the proud owner of a new ball python as of today, named Ronin, and am definitely excited. I've done a lot of research and have set him up in a 20gal tank (he's about 16in long or so) with reptile substrate (the stuff made for snakes, i don't remember exactly what it is), a water dish, a hiding spot, and a heating pad, and a little analog thermometer. After all i've read, i'm probably going to add a hydrometer (or whatever it's called that you use to measure humidity) and a heat lamp to get the ambient air temp up. The tank has an open mesh top. Does that need to be sealed with glad press-n-seal to keep in warmth and humidity?

And for my main question:

I've been hearing conflicting thoughts on how exactly to feed bp's. The store that sold it to me (salesperson was very knowledgable) told me I should remove the snake from its tank and put it in another habitat before offering it food. He said to do this so that your bp doesn't associate you opening the tank and reaching in with getting a meal, in the interest of not getting bit by him when reaching in to handle him. However, every post i've read on here seems to say just open the tank and either drop or dangle a mouse in front of him. This makes sense to me intuitively because he has to be warm and comfortable in order to eat, which he would not be if he were in some random box somewhere. So what do I do? Just drop a fuzzie in the tank?

Thanks,

Benn

Thanks
    As far as feeding goes, some people on this board feed out of the tank, and some feed in the tank, and people seem to have success both ways. I feed in the tank and have never had a problem with him associating opening the tank w/ feeding, because I open his tank all the time for cleaning, changing water, or handling.

Some other suggestions:
    Add a second hide spot so that you have one for the cool side and one for the warm side. This way your bp can thermoregulate and still feel secure on either side of the tank.

If you need to use a bulb, it will probably dry up the air, so you may need to cover the screen with something to help with the humidity.

Also, ditch the analog thermometer, those can be very inaccurate. Go to walmart and get a digital thermometer/hygrometer combo. It accurately measures temperatures on both sides of the tank, and measures humidity all in one for about 15 dollars.

Welcome to the site!

Edit: just noticed you're in Davis, my sister goes to school at UC Davis!
    1.0 Ball Python, Norbert
    0.1 Corn Snake, Nagini
    1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa, Peeves

Banned
    Thanks
    geez that person really sounded like they knew what they were doing!

Well for feeding my girl doesnt seem to like to eat in an another place other than her terrarium(i have repticarpet so i dont have to worry about her swallowin any substrate). Also i think that if u handle your bp on a regular basis(other than when just fed or in shed) that it will not associate your hand as there food when u go to handle them.

Thanks
    I feed in a different box. My snakes have no problem with this. I just put down some paper towels in a rubbermaid, put my snake down, do the "mouse dance", wait for digestion, carefully put my snake back, and then presto! easy clean up.

Also, by feeding outside of the cage and on paper towels, my snake will never ingest substrate while eating food.

A piece of plexiglass cut to match innder top of the tank can also help to keep the humidity (only cover 3/4 at the most though, so your bp still has airflow).
    Check out my gallery! www.schlyne.deviantart.com I am not really active on forums anymore, but I am on facebook.
    Please Click the Dragon eggs/hatchlings!

All of my Dragons can be seen here http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/48959

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    There is no evidence whatsoever that ball pythons will associate the opening of a tank with feeding. If only it were so easy to stimulate a feeding response from them, lol. In general, ball pythons require: a) scent, b) heat, and most of the time, c) movement to have a feeding response. Simply opening the tank will not do it.

The only other issue is with the ingestion of substrate. Unless your ball python is already sick, it will have no trouble working substrate out of its mouth or through its system, as long as you use a safe substrate. (i.e. something non-toxic, and fine as to not cause impaction). Non-ingestible substrates like astroturf or newspaper work as well, but won't hold moisture very well without being too wet and thus possible mold and/or skin disorders.

In addition, a ball python may be stressed if moved around and thrown into an unfamiliar environment.

Therefore, it's my personal opinion that there is no reason to feed outside the enclosure, and very good reason to feed inside it. Especially for those ball pythons who like lay in wait for their prey from their hides, which is commonly how they feed in the wild (laying in burrows).
    ~40 Ball Pythons (mostly Freeway/Asphalt, Bongo, GHI, and Leopard combos)
    3.8.3 Green Tree Pythons (mostly TM/TW blueline, a few Highland/Wamena)
    1.2 Children's Pythons
    1.2 Cay Caulker Boas
    1.2 Black Fuli House Snakes
    1.0.4 Amazon Tree Boas (1x tiger, 3x halloween garden, 1x garden)

Thanks
    I feed some snakes in tank and some outa tank. My one wont eat out of her tank so she gets feed in her tank. Since I have some that live together they have to be feed seperatly to avoid fights over the mouse. Oh and my snakes that eat inside there tank show no signs of striking when I handle them, other than my baby JCP but thats just how they are as babies.
    -Sean
    Mazdaspeed 3, yeah its silly fast!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlyne
    Also, by feeding outside of the cage and on paper towels, my snake will never ingest substrate while eating food.
    Yeah good point. If you have reptile bark or something, I'd suggest either feeding in a separate enclosure or putting something down over the substrate like paper towels or something to prevent injestion.
    1.0 Ball Python, Norbert
    0.1 Corn Snake, Nagini
    1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa, Peeves

Thanks
    tonite Monty ate a little piece of repti-bark along with his mouse is that really bad?!!!

Thanks
    Umm, i really dont know for sure but im pretty sure if it was alot it can cause impaction. But you only said it was a little so it should be fine

I feed on newspaper in an extra ten gallon.Works great
    0.1 Albino Redtail Boa
    0.1 Colombian Redtail Boa
    0.2 Salmon Pastel Redtail Boa's
    0.1 normal Ball Python
    0.1 Ball Python.
    0.1 Albino Ball Python
    0.1 Amelanistic Corn Snake
    1.0 Sonoran Gopher
    1.0 Mexican black Kingsnake
    0.1 Luecistic Texas rat snake

Thanks
    I have reptibark and I have fed on the reptibark itself twice...the first two feedings I did with Pelota. I was well aware she could swallow some, but the bag said it was safe to digest. After those two feedings, she never ingested any, but I was tired of worrying, so I just started taking a sheet of newspaper and laying it over the substrate. Then I put Pelota on the paper, introduce her to the warm f/t mousey, and let the rest take care of itself. Then when she's got it down, I slowly slide her off of the paper, throw it out, and help her into her hide(since she's usually too big to fit under it herself, lol..). Voila.
    2.0 python regius - Ace(pastel) and Pelota(cross-dresser )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast