Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,183

0 members and 3,183 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    http://www.komodoproducts.com/produc...rain-10l?id=37

Here is the English translation of what is most likely the same thing on the bag.

Your not not feeding this stuff to your skink so who cares if it's digestible. If you are that worried about impaction feed in a bowl. If your animal is properly heated and hydrated you shouldn't have an issue with a substrate like this.

Its basically organic sandy soil as far as I can tell. I'd pile it up nice and high in the enclosure wet it down so it sets and the skink can burrow if given the choice.

Thanks

Re: Komodo tortoise eco terrain for skink substrate

Quote Originally Posted by Jhill001 View Post
    Honestly there is very little difference between the U.S. brands and the Eurobrands. Some products are exactly the same, Komodo has the cool skull hides that exoterra sells here for example. And others are just a slight variation. I'm gonna read up on the products for a bit and maybe I can give you some advice.
    That may be 100 percent true, that being said if the OP is asking for input on a certain substrate and I can't find anywhere what is actually in it, I can't say without a doubt that it is the same as "XYZ Brand" in America.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

http://www.komodoproducts.com/produc...rain-10l?id=37

Here is the English translation of what is most likely the same thing on the bag.

Your not not feeding this stuff to your skink so who cares if it's digestible. If you are that worried about impaction feed in a bowl. If your animal is properly heated and hydrated you shouldn't have an issue with a substrate like this.

Its basically organic sandy soil as far as I can tell. I'd pile it up nice and high in the enclosure wet it down so it sets and the skink can burrow if given the choice.
    Thankyou for all the help. I am just a bit paranoid about impaction because I used those "breeder's choice" substrate as they recommended on a lot of aussie and skink websites. I used to breed skinks, so have quite a few. For six years everything was great. Then one day one of the skinks got impacted and required the vet to take out a piece of the substrate from her gut. It was probably a freak accident, or perhaps other factors, but it got me so worried that for a long time I put everything on newspaper. I am just now starting to recover and just want to find a safe alternative. Nothing wrong with doing a bit of extra research, right?
    Last edited by hungba; 04-06-2015 at 01:33 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jclaiborne View Post
    That may be 100 percent true, that being said if the OP is asking for input on a certain substrate and I can't find anywhere what is actually in it, I can't say without a doubt that it is the same as "XYZ Brand" in America.
    I don't think this product is the same as anything available here but it says it's a sandy soil mix.

Thanks

I don't think this product is the same as anything available here but it says it's a sandy soil mix.

I would just want to make sure it wasn't calcisand or something along those lines.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    FROGS
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Some sandy soil mixes use calcium sand. Not naming names but that is the main thing I'd be concerned about.

Thanks
    I still say when in doubt go dig up some dirt, treat it for mites if you are worried about it and call it a day, especially if you can't find out what is in a pre-bagged substrate.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    FROGS
    DOGS

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I asked komodo directly and they said the sand is not calcium sand. However, they include small amounts of limestone grit into it. Is this an impaction risk?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

There is always an impaction risk with any substrate. Heck no reason a turtle or lizard wouldn't decide to eat paper or something dumb like that. If your herp is well fed and hydrated you should be fine.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Also I'm pretty sure lime stone grit is basically just sand.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12