Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,756

1 members and 2,755 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,146
Threads: 248,588
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Strider21
    Thanks

Opening mouth only while soaking?

My ball python has scale rot, and my vet has me soaking him in a betadine solution. It's been a few weeks, and I've noticed now that he yawns and opens his mouth after swimming in in the betadine tub, and rubs his head on the side. I'm freaking out because I think this could be another health problem, but I've been told that it could just be a reaction to being in the water and the fact that he's overdo for a shed (I think he's going to shed soon, hard to tell with his scales stained by the betadine. Should I take him back to the vet or wait a week to see if it's just him trying to work a shed off? I'm raising the temps of his enclosure right now (usually 87.2 in the warm hide) just in case it will help. This is really worrying me.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Smile Re: Opening mouth only while soaking?

Well, don't "freak out" bc rational thinking goes out the door with that! You are doing what the vet instructed and the python is unwell at this point so his behavior is going to be erratic. One of my bp's was getting the same treatment at one time and had similar behavior. Betadine is not something you want in your nose and mouth! Curious, did the vet tell you to rinse the animal off with clear water afterwards? Call him and have him clarify that! Is the bp getting any other treatment for the scale rot? The betadine, imo, is somewhat irritating to mucous membranes and he is trying to remove the irritation.

Thanks

Re: Opening mouth only while soaking?

Thank you so much for your reply! This guy is a well loved pet and we want to do our best for him. No, my vet just told us to do the betadine soak, but everyone has told me he might need a antibiotic ointment as well. I don't know if I should add that or not - guess it couldn't hurt? I feel better after your post - I'll just keep a close eye on him.

BPnet Veteran AllThatInThemGenes's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Opening mouth only while soaking?

I agree with Albert that it’s not yet time to 'freak out'. I would not yet add the antibiotic ointment, continue with the care regiment that the vet provided you unless something changes. If you do decide to add topical antibiotic to the regiment be sure to purchase one that does not pain killer in it. I would also look for antibiotic cream vs. ointment. Neosporin and other topical antibiotic products are petroleum based and have been known to cause damage to the snake's scales. The 'yawning' could be happening for a number of reason, some of which albert pointed out in his response. I don’t want to worry you with this input...but the yawning could be happening because the snake is becoming cold after being soaked in the bath and the early stages of RI are showing (again don’t freak out yet lol). Watch the sake, check his mouth for mucus and bubbles. If he starts holding his mouth open for long periods of time that will be a good indication that he may be struggling to breathe and could have an RI. Slightly raising the temps was a good idea in my opinion, its great you took him into the vet, I’m sure if you continue to adamant about his care everything will be fine. Keep us posted!