Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,217

0 members and 3,217 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Snake bites.

Registered User MontyAndMelissa's Avatar
    Thanks

Snake bites.

Have you ever been tagged by your snake?

I've been bit once or twice by monty, but recently I've been having dreams that she has been biting my hand every time I reach in to get her. I'm not afraid of her by any stretch. I won't lie, before she got me the first time I was terrified of being bit, but it's no worse than a tattoo or piercing. But now that it's happened, I'm not worried.

If you've never been bit by a ball python, are you afraid of your first time? I mean, it's bound to happen eventually.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Yeah I was a bit worried when I would get my first. Then I did something really stupid during a feed and got tagged. Even though it was an adult, it just felt like a scratch.

Now I'm a bit concerned of one of those - won't release bites to the death with blood everywhere bites.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

Thanks
    In ten years with sapphire, she didn't strike at me one time, no hissing either, and loki hasn't tried in the couple of weeks I've had him, so far so good. I'm not really afraid of the pain or anything from my first bite (I'm assuming I won't go unbitten forever) but I am slightly scared of the situation I guess. 1. I wouldn't like a food response bite because I would be worried about the snake harming itself trying to coil me, like by ripping out teeth. And 2. I wouldn't like a defensive bite because it means that I startled the snake, or it just doesn't trust me. I can't imagine there would be much physical pain, maybe from an angry adult, but juvenile snakes I'm guessing it's more of a pinch?

Thanks
    I will soon get my first snake. I haven't held one since I was a child, so my fear is both that I will get bitten, and think they're icky.

I love watching snakes, seeing snakes handled, but what if I'm a wimp? I've had and adored rats, but their tales are still icky to me, even though I loved holding them and petting them.

Thanks

Re: Snake bites.

Quote Originally Posted by carolineleven View Post
    I will soon get my first snake. I haven't held one since I was a child, so my fear is both that I will get bitten, and think they're icky.

I love watching snakes, seeing snakes handled, but what if I'm a wimp? I've had and adored rats, but their tales are still icky to me, even though I loved holding them and petting them.
    If you've ever been bitten or even nipped by a rat or mouse .... That hurts way worse than a ball python bite ..... Because it happens so quickly, it actually suprises/scares you more than it hurts .... Unless it's a feeding accident, it will be done before you even realized it happened

6. The Following User Says Thank You to T_Sauer For This Useful Post:

Newowner1 (04-02-2015)

Thanks
    I've only been tagged once, and it was a defensive strike from a hatchling at the pet store I help out at. Didn't even leave a mark and my only thought was *awww how cute.*

Now getting tagged by one of the Parrots that boards at the store....that hurt like a mother and left way more of a mark.
    1.0 Pinstripe - Nagini

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sirensong26 For This Useful Post:

Lizardlicks (03-31-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    Got my first boa, in 1986. I ordered from a local mom and pop pet shop. It was 6 feet plus of what I'm assuming was "angry wild caught". I was determined to make that snake handable. Needless to say, I got over being bit really quick after that. Before coming to this site, I would always feed in a separate tank. Back in the ninties it was considered to reduce cage aggression. I just didn't want rodent contamination/smell in my enclosures. I don't anymore. But for a good stretch I fed a little over a half dozen true red tails, an argentine and a couple of Brazilian rainbows in separate enclosures. So needless to say, I got really good at not getting tagged. The worst is when they just bite without a strike.

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts

God, parrot bites are the WORST. I've been chewed on by hatchling iguanas while taming them down, had a ferret bite and latch onto my thumb when he missed his toy and got my hand instead without realizing it, been teethed on by puppies, been teethed on and clawed up by playing kittens, and nibbled on by taste testing hamsters, and I still think parrots are the worst for bites. Snakes aren't even a thing at this point.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lizardlicks For This Useful Post:

Newowner1 (04-02-2015),Running Elk (04-01-2015)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Yep, parrot bites are bad. We have a macaw, and the bites are severe.....the lower beak scoops out the skin, leaving a crater-like bite.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you own enough snakes for long enough you will get tagged sooner or later and if it's a BP even a large one it really not that bad there are bites from other animals that are a lot worse, rats, dogs, cats, horses............and yeah I have been bit by all of those (I am bite magnet )
    Deborah Stewart

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast