Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,422

4 members and 3,418 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

Thread: Curious

Thanks

Curious

Hi everybody,

Been reading for a few months, this is my first post. I've been researching getting a blood python but pretty much every care sheet I've looked at said they're for intermediate level handlers. Is this just a recommendation or to be strictly followed?

Thanks,

~Laci

Thanks
    Ummmmm... I would at least take it very much into consideration. I thought BPs were going to be easy and it's harder than I thought and I did a TON of reading beforehand. Bloods from my understanding are a little more high maintenance and will require a larger final enclosure because of how heavy bodied they are. They also can have a slightly more grumpy personality. But they are beautiful, no argument there. I would at least make sure to have an expert available to answer questions and supervise.
    0.1 Lesser Pastel

Black Spooky Kitty
    0.1 Faye Tiny Kitty

?.?
    Feral Cat Colony

And more on the way always....

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Hi Laci, welcome to the forum.

First I must state that I have no experience with a Bloods. Hopefully some owners will chime in.

Now what I have heard and read is that in GENERAL, Bloods are more temperamental, their bites are worse, and their husbandry requires more tweaking than Balls, and they do get larger as well. I also remember one source commenting that Bloods are easier to over feed and special care must be taken in that regard.

As far as the temperament goes, I'm sure most of that can be taken care of through proper research of top breeders.

Best
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    Do your homework, make sure your truly committed. See if you can interact with a couple adults. And if you still feel comfortable, everybody starts somewhere. Good luck!
    Last edited by Sonny1318; 03-31-2015 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Spelling error

Thanks

Re: Curious

Most care sheets for Bloods are copied and pasted from the same source. Pretty much forget a lot of what you read. They are pretty easy to keep! Keep them in a proper sized cage with plenty of ventilation, have a basking spot of no more then 84 degrees, have a decent sized water bowl with fresh water always, use newspaper as a substrate, mist no more then twice a week unless in shed, feed normal sized meals every two or 3 weeks that's it! They don't need high humidity this only starts R.I.s and they don't need high temps! Get a baby from a true breeder that is already tame. It may be hissy but thats just what they do huff and puff. It may be afraid of you at first so it might be nippy at first it will pass. Just handle it a few minutes a day and put it away. After a month I doubt even the meanest baby will stay that way! I have kept several Bloods from hatchlings and up this way for the last ten years and not had one R.I. or any health problem doing this. As long as a Blood is really what you want and you have thought it out long enough go for it! No reason to buy a snake you don't want before getting one you will just not be happy in the long run. Just go to shows and pet stores and handle any python to get used to holding them. But Do Not Buy one at either unless its from a reputable breeder at a show. Just email breeders of animals you like and ask questions a good breeder will point you in the right direction and not blow you off unless your annoying :-)

Good Luck!!

Tim Rash
    Nocturnal Creations

Tim Rash

Thanks

Re: Curious

Thanks for the opinions /advice everyone