Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,087

1 members and 3,086 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

zacharynay (18)

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,553
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

3rd unsuccessful feed :(

So I dropped the rat in the cage and waited. Loki didn't move. The rat ran around for a little but and FINALLY! Some movement and a few tongue flicks out of Loki and I'm thinking boom! It's on like donkey kong. After that his movement seized. He seriously just like rearranged his self and that was it. Nothing else for 30 minutes while the rat on the other hand made himself at home on a corner and looks like he was starting nest. I'm going to try again soon but maybe remove his hides so it's one big open area. Can't believe now it's 3 weeks with no food after eating 2 rats every week. Really don't know what else to do at this moment.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Thumbs up Re: 3rd unsuccessful feed :(

3 weeks really isn't a long time to refuse a meal. If he has been taking 2 rats every week maybe he just isn't hungry? Did you double check all your husbandry numbers and points? What size rat is this? Is it the same size rat that he previously accepted? What type of substrate are you using? Try feeding very late at night or early morning when the room is very quiet and very dark. If its been 1 week intervals for your feeding schedule change to every 10 days. Good luck and stay in peace and not in pieces.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    I wouldn't pull the hides out. He doesn't need one big area. He's not having problems finding the rat, he just doesn't want it for whatever reason now.

If he was eating and he is not eating now, did anything change? If you changed his environment, change it back. If nothing changed, he's just not eating. As long as he's not losing material weight it doesn't really matter.

I would just close him up, leave him alone, and try again in a week. If he refuses that start offering every 14 days.

If your environment is correct, then there's nothing to do but wait it out.
    It is okay to use pine bedding for snakes.
    It is okay to feed live food to snakes.

Thanks

Re: 3rd unsuccessful feed :(

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    3 weeks really isn't a long time to refuse a meal. If he has been taking 2 rats every week maybe he just isn't hungry? Did you double check all your husbandry numbers and points? What size rat is this? Is it the same size rat that he previously accepted? What type of substrate are you using? Try feeding very late at night or early morning when the room is very quiet and very dark. If its been 1 week intervals for your feeding schedule change to every 10 days. Good luck and stay in peace and not in pieces.
    Got him from the breeder on the 8th, the breeder was even shocked he wasn't eating. The breeder fed him two rats every week and he ate fine and suggested I feed him the Friday after I got him so I tried, He refuses every rat. He has not ate for me once. I had the breeder check my husbandry and set up and he said everything is perfect and he can't figure it out either. We first figured it was because I was trying to feed him outside of his cage so this time I tried in the cage and nothing at all. I can't figure it out. At night he's extremely active and it looks like he wants food, my biggest fear is dropping the rat in there at night and it going after him while he's out and about or him shooting out of the cage because he's so active at night.
    So long story short the last time he ate was the 6th of March, he just had a perfect shed and I tried to feed him twice outside of his cage and this time in his cage to still have him not be interested. I'm feeding small rats that aren't bigger than his girth, his day time temps are 86-88 in the day and 80-84 at night. Humidity is at 40% right now and when he was shedding I boosted it to 70%. I can't figure it out
    Last edited by Champagn3; 03-27-2015 at 02:36 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Pretty much what 200xth said. Also is the BP a baby or a juvenile or adult? A lot of them go off feed as they become adults or so I've heard. Dottie is a 1028g girl and she shows no sign of letting up on her feeding. Like clockwork, every 5-6 days she pokes her head out of her hide and if there is no rat, she starts doing laps around her cage looking for a rat. But pretty much 200xth said, no need for me to repeat it.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Pretty much what 200xth said. Also is the BP a baby or a juvenile or adult? A lot of them go off feed as they become adults or so I've heard. Dottie is a 1028g girl and she shows no sign of letting up on her feeding. Like clockwork, every 5-6 days she pokes her head out of her hide and if there is no rat, she starts doing laps around her cage looking for a rat. But pretty much 200xth said, no need for me to repeat it.
    That's what's confusing he's so active at night looking for food, I guess I'll leave the hides and cage alone and maybe try at night or just maybe wait a week which do you think? I just feel bad for the guy.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Champagn3 View Post

That's what's confusing he's so active at night looking for food, I guess I'll leave the hides and cage alone and maybe try at night or just maybe wait a week which do you think? I just feel bad for the guy.
    How much does your snake weigh?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 200xth View Post
    How much does your snake weigh?
    505gs the Wednesday before I got him so that would've been March 4th

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Thumbs up Re: 3rd unsuccessful feed :(

There has to be some consistency in your routine. You cant try to feed him outside the cage then change and try to feed inside the cage. Don't dwell on the feeding aspect either. Take your time and enjoy your bp! Let him really get used to the interior of the enclosure. Don't keep picking him up! Make it up in your mind that you are only going into the cage to spot clean and change the water. Don't even think about feeding him for another 10 days at least. Be consistent. When it is time to feed him again make sure to do it late at night and in the very dark. Peace.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Champagn3 View Post
    505gs the Wednesday before I got him so that would've been March 4th
    Don't feel too bad for him. At that weight he can skip a few weeks feeding easier than you can skip lunch.

I'd just leave him for a week and try again then. Make sure your environment is correct, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast