Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,204

1 members and 3,203 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Day before feeding questions

So in my other thread (sorry if it's wrong to start a new one) I stated that my ball python wouldnt eat out of his cage and that I wanted to feed out of his cage, well after talking to the breeder I got him from and a few other people ive decided on feeding in his cage! One question I have before the big day, I am feeding live now when I do this how should I put the small rat in there? Should I just drop it in there? Or should I make sure he sees the rat before I put it in there? just a little confused. Any suggestions or help is well appreciated! Tomorrow will be 3 weeks he hasnt eaten so I'm hoping this works out
    Side note: Earlier in the week I was worried about feeding again this week because he went into shed. I am glad to announce that he shed perfectly fine and everything was a success!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    I wouldn't drop the rat in. You want the rat to be calm. So I would just put it in and not right next to the snake. You don't want the snake to be scared by the food. Then make sure you got a pencil or something you can wedge in the rats mouse if this whole affair goes wrong and the rat gets a chance to bite the snake. Then just watch and be ready to intervene if it goes wrong.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks

Re: Day before feeding questions

I used frozen mice, but if you are feeding him live rodents, I would put the rodent close but not too close to the snake. Make it seem like the snake is in its natural habitat hunting. Thats the point of feeding but keep an eye on the rodent for many reasons but mainly making sure that it doesn't attack your snake.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    I wouldn't drop the rat in. You want the rat to be calm. So I would just put it in and not right next to the snake. You don't want the snake to be scared by the food. Then make sure you got a pencil or something you can wedge in the rats mouse if this whole affair goes wrong and the rat gets a chance to bite the snake. Then just watch and be ready to intervene if it goes wrong.
    So when I'm feeding I should put it in the tank and then just wait? How long should I wait before I decide if he's interested or not? I'm Afraid that he won't notice the rat because he's in his hide. I'm hoping he will eat since it'll be three weeks and a fresh shed since his last feeding

Registered User MontyAndMelissa's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Champagn3 View Post
    So when I'm feeding I should put it in the tank and then just wait? How long should I wait before I decide if he's interested or not? I'm Afraid that he won't notice the rat because he's in his hide. I'm hoping he will eat since it'll be three weeks and a fresh shed since his last feeding
    When I feed in tank, before I even bring the rat into the room, I remove the hides. It's force of habit to me. This works for f/t and live. Once she strikes I place the hides back where they go. Are you feeding live? Remove the hides, bring the rat onto the room, PLACE it in the tank and watch. If you're feeding f/t heat up your rat and jiggle him in the tank. The feeding procedures for live and f/t are very different. keep a pair of tongs and a pencil in hand when feeding live. In case he decides to strike, if the rat attacks the snake, wedge the pencil, or one side of the tongs, between the rats jaws and hold it there until it stops struggling. F/t is much easier, and safer for me.

Registered User MontyAndMelissa's Avatar
    Thanks

You'll know after a few minutes with live prey whether he is interested or not. With f/t you sometimes have to do the zombie dance to get them interested.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Yup you put the rat in and wait. You will know if the snake is interested. He will coil up, flicking the tongue a lot and probably start searching. Oh trust me, they can smell a rat a ways away. All my guys know there is dinner coming when I walk into the room with their dinner in boxes. I feed live but I pre kill all mine before feeding. So the rats come home alive and boy, they can all smell them. Rosey usually is never in her hide and she is at the door, Dottie is standing up out of her hide like a little cobra ready for dinner and Vicky has her head poking out of her hide waiting patiently but she is a very elegant eater. She squeezes the mouse, then inspects it for about 5 mins, then slowly eats it lol. Well as long as your snake feels comfortable and the temps are right, he should eat. I've never had a snake willingly go 3 weeks without food but its not uncommon for them to. Good luck.

Another thing you can try if that doesn't work is kill the rat(unless you can actually return it) and then just put it in the cage at lights out and leave it in there overnight. Some snakes are shy and wont eat until its all dark and quiet.

Oh also forgot to kind of answer your question, if it doesn't show interest in about 15-20 mins, I would remove it. And removing the hides might or might not make the snake scared depending how comfortable your snake feels to begin with. Like I said, I would try with the hides in. You will know if your snake is interested.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 03-26-2015 at 08:33 PM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

I'm Afraid that he won't notice the rat because he's in his hide.
    Your snake will detect the rat's scent.

Just put the rat in the enclosure somewhere. It doesn't really matter where. Your snake will find it if he's hungry.
    Last edited by 200xth; 03-26-2015 at 08:49 PM.
    It is okay to use pine bedding for snakes.
    It is okay to feed live food to snakes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MontyAndMelissa View Post
    When I feed in tank, before I even bring the rat into the room, I remove the hides. It's force of habit to me. This works for f/t and live. Once she strikes I place the hides back where they go. Are you feeding live? Remove the hides, bring the rat onto the room, PLACE it in the tank and watch. If you're feeding f/t heat up your rat and jiggle him in the tank. The feeding procedures for live and f/t are very different. keep a pair of tongs and a pencil in hand when feeding live. In case he decides to strike, if the rat attacks the snake, wedge the pencil, or one side of the tongs, between the rats jaws and hold it there until it stops struggling. F/t is much easier, and safer for me.
    Wondering if I should remove the hides or not. Maybe that'll stress him too much and I should just leave everything as is. Thinking that because when I tried feeding outside of his tank we came to the conclusion it was stressing him out and the breeder fed in the cage as well so it's what he's used to

Thanks
    I place a tub of live rats in the snake room close to their racks. Then I go do other things for about 30 minutes. When I get back most are pacing the front of their tubs waiting for me to open and drop a rat in. They usually last no more than 5 seconds that way. If they are still in their hide (which I only remove for mating), then they are most likely wanting to ambush their prey, so I drop a rat in and go to the next tub. Within 5 minutes all 23 bp's have at least given their new room mates a big hug and are preparing to eat...
    1. het Pied 1. Albino 1. Lesser 1. Fire 1. OG 1. Pinstripe het VPI Axanthic 1. Mojave Enchi
    1. Bumblebee 1. Black Pastel Kingpin 1. Pastel Tiger
    .1 Pastel .1 Pastel het Pied .1 Calico .1 OG .1 Mojave het Lavender Albino .1 Lithium .1 Caramel Spider .1 Bumblebee .1 Bumblebee het Clown .1 Leopard
    1. Wild Caught Corn 1. Coral Snow Corn .1 Snow Corn .1 Butter Corn .1 Albino Reverse Okeetee Corn ?.? Frilled Dragon .2 Ferrets

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast