Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,100

1 members and 1,099 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,580
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux

Thread: New Ball Python

Thanks

New Ball Python

Hello Everyone!
    My name is Jacob and I just recently purchased a Pied from RoyalConstrictor designs. This male has been a little worrisome to me because of the way he's been acting. I've given him a few days to rest and he has still been really aggressive and defensive when I try to handle him. It is Monday and I purchased him last Wednesday and tried to handle him many times with no success. I was wondering what the issue is and how I can fix it.

Yours,
    Jacob

Thanks

Re: New Ball Python

Quote Originally Posted by Jbrod View Post
    Hello Everyone!
    My name is Jacob and I just recently purchased a Pied from RoyalConstrictor designs. This male has been a little worrisome to me because of the way he's been acting. I've given him a few days to rest and he has still been really aggressive and defensive when I try to handle him. It is Monday and I purchased him last Wednesday and tried to handle him many times with no success. I was wondering what the issue is and how I can fix it.

Yours,
    Jacob
    Leave him be. It can take anywhere from 1 whole week to a month for him to be settled in. Have you gotten a meal into him yet? If not, I definitely wouldn't attempt to handle him until you've done so, no matter how hard it is for you. Other issues could be husbandry related. Can you describe your setup and post a picture?
    Last edited by Daigga; 03-23-2015 at 08:50 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Hi Jbrod, welcome to the forum.

One thing you will find out right away is, if you want information, you have to give information first! And along with pics is best.

We can assume, but that can get us going down the wrong rabbit hole.

How old is your snake? Hatching, juvie, adult?
    What type of enclosure? How is it set up? Pics?
    Husbandry? Temps, humidity?

Regardless, give him at least a week to settle in before handling.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

Thanks

Sorry about the post and its blankness. It's my first day on the Forums so it may take a little getting used to. He is 90 grams and almost a foot long. He has not gotten a meal in (I have tried to) and is a little bit aggressive.

Thanks
    Hard as it is, handing should always wait at least until 48 hours after their first meal. Which should be fed 5-7 days after receiving snake unless it settles in sooner and does not seem stressed. In my opinion at least, my first girl has been super chill the whole time.
    0.1 Lesser Pastel

Black Spooky Kitty
    0.1 Faye Tiny Kitty

?.?
    Feral Cat Colony

And more on the way always....

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Thumbs up Re: New Ball Python

Quote Originally Posted by Jbrod View Post
    Sorry about the post and its blankness. It's my first day on the Forums so it may take a little getting used to. He is 90 grams and almost a foot long. He has not gotten a meal in (I have tried to) and is a little bit aggressive.
    Before you get all the info and numbers about the setup, which is very important, this is typical hatchling behavior. Don't be too worried about it. Give him a little time to settle in and destress from the shipping, new environment, and the overall changes in his life. I purchased two pieds from the same place about 2 years ago and went through similar hatchling behavior with those two also. Hissing and hissing for awhile. They finally calmed down. Garrick is a good person to deal with and can help you along with them also. Call him and explain to him what you are going through. He is a great resource. Good luck .

Thanks

I'm a fairly new BP owner myself and what I did and has seemed to work really good is I didn't try to handle mine until after I got two feedings in him. I would also recommend if he's in a tank to cover the back and sides with black paper or a jungle type background to help him feel more secure.
    Mine seems to have almost the exact opposite issue your does in that mine is very timid and has shown no aggression at all so far. I had him out last night and he just coiled up on my hand and hid his head. I just sit still with him and let him decide when to start crawling around and settle down himself, usually 3 or 4 minutes. Keep your first few handling sessions short and positive. Last night by the time I put mine back (about 15 minutes) he was the most comfortable with me he has been so far. Didn't seem head shy or anything.

Thanks
    Make sure you have the right temperatures(basking spot and ambient)/humidity/identical hides on the hot and cold side and like everyone said leave him be for another week or longer if needed. Also don't try to feed him yet. He wont starve.

Also google "hook training". This is a method that people with Boa constrictors and larger snakes use but it is known to help with an aggressive ball python.

Quick explanation: Hook training is taking a small snake hook or any type of hook type object like a clothes hanger. When you open the rack or the top of the tank, you take the hook or hanger and rub the snake gently near the back of his body and slowly towards the top. this will trigger him knowing it is time to be handled and not feeding time.