Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,146

2 members and 3,144 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Registered User MontyAndMelissa's Avatar
    Thanks

Moving question.

So, I'm supposed to move in two weeks. The place I was trying to get just denied us, so we might have to move 1800 miles away to South Dakota. How do I get my snake there safely? I, of course, would feel more comfortable having her with me in the passenger area of the plane, but will the high altitude hurt her? Plus, after that stupid movie, snakes on a plane, it makes it nearly impossible to even get a snake on a plane. How would you suggest I get my ball python from point a (Gilroy, ca) to point b (souix falls, sd) as safely as possible?

Thanks
    Bump. Anyone?
    0.1 Lesser Pastel

Black Spooky Kitty
    0.1 Faye Tiny Kitty

?.?
    Feral Cat Colony

And more on the way always....

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Regardless of a silly movie, you can't take snakes on a plane like you might a small dog. They just don't allow it, or any reptile, to travel that way. I could be wrong, but I don't think they even allow dogs anymore, unless they are service dogs. You can't just check it like a dog in a crate, either.

If you're flying, then your only option is to ship it ahead and have someone pick it up for you, or you fly ahead and have someone trusted keep the snake for you and then ship it after you've arrived. Check out ShipYourReptiles to answer all your shipping questions. The trickiest part of this equation is having someone at one end or the other you trust well enough to take care of the snake for you.

If driving is an option, then check out this article: U'Haulin Reptiles

Good luck!
    -- Judy

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (03-20-2015),kitedemon (03-20-2015),KMG (03-20-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Smile Re: Moving question.

Judy, that is exactly what I was going to suggest! Ship your reptiles is the safest too. Like you said , they need someone to be able to pick it up in South Dakota. Peace.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    I am sure you could talk to the airline and ask but you are likely to encounter a minefield of red tape and frustration. Judy has, as she often does, such a simple, elegant solution. I would never have though of it. Hats off!

Thanks

Re: Moving question.

I will be flying. I do have a friend in SD, one of the few people I trust to care for my snake (especially since it will only be a few days). I kind of looked into Ship Your reptiles. Com, my concern is I've NEVER shipped a reptile, or received one via mail, so I don't know what kind of box, or how much heating, or etc to ship her in/with. They ship through FedEx, right? How careful will they be with her? I don't want her jostled around in the mail. Unfortunately driving isn't an option. :/

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MontyAndMelissa View Post
    I will be flying. I do have a friend in SD, one of the few people I trust to care for my snake (especially since it will only be a few days). I kind of looked into Ship Your reptiles. Com, my concern is I've NEVER shipped a reptile, or received one via mail, so I don't know what kind of box, or how much heating, or etc to ship her in/with. They ship through FedEx, right? How careful will they be with her? I don't want her jostled around in the mail. Unfortunately driving isn't an option. :/
    There are instructions on the SYR website. But I'll have Robyn chime in on this thread to help you. They are really terrific people to work with. And thousands of snakes are shipped every day without any problems. Packed correctly, they will do just fine.
    -- Judy

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MontyAndMelissa View Post
    Last year I shipped a couple of snakes for the first time.

I used Ship Your Reptiles for it. They have kits you can order that contain everthing you need. If you aren't sure what size kit to get, email them, expain the situation, and give them the weight of your snake(s). They'll tell you the correct kit to get.

If you follow the instructions you get with the kit, or ask for help on this forum, it should be a fairly easy process for you.
    Last edited by 200xth; 03-24-2015 at 09:31 AM.
    It is okay to use pine bedding for snakes.
    It is okay to feed live food to snakes.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

My brother lives in Sioux Falls (I grew up there). If your first option doesn't work out, let me know. I'd be glad to voluntell him that he's helping you out for a few days.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Alan For This Useful Post:

MontyAndMelissa (03-24-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Alan View Post
    My brother lives in Sioux Falls (I grew up there). If your first option doesn't work out, let me know. I'd be glad to voluntell him that he's helping you out for a few days.
    I will certainly keep you updated. The friend I will be staying with is engaged to a man with extreme phobias towards snakes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast