Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,311

0 members and 3,311 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Registered User MontyAndMelissa's Avatar
    Thanks

Feeding question.

So, I have been feeding Monty (1589 g before last feeding) one Large rat (130-150g) every two weeks for the last few months. I was trying to feed her every week and a half, but she wasn't really going into attack mode. She looks like she is gaining weight really really fast. Should I move down to a Small Rat (>100 g) every week? Or keep feeding her as is? I don't want her to get obese. How do you guys generally gauge what size prey to feed? How often do you feed?

Basically I'm asking if I should downsize the rat and keep the distance between feedings? Or downsize the rat and shorten times between feedings?

Also, I'm moving in a few weeks. I have the feedings set so that I feed her about a week before the move, which means a week after as well. I know stress can cause snakes not to eat - and I know that the move will stress her out.

Also, Also, where do YOU buy your F/T rats? What is shipping like, how are the rats packaged, what are the quantities your source allows you to buy in?

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Re: Feeding question.

Quote Originally Posted by MontyAndMelissa View Post
    Basically I'm asking if I should downsize the rat and keep the distance between feedings? Or downsize the rat and shorten times between feedings?

Also, I'm moving in a few weeks. I have the feedings set so that I feed her about a week before the move, which means a week after as well. I know stress can cause snakes not to eat - and I know that the move will stress her out.

Also, Also, where do YOU buy your F/T rats? What is shipping like, how are the rats packaged, what are the quantities your source allows you to buy in?
    It's up to you and your snake whether to downsize or decrease frequency. Whatever works for you and her is what you should do. If she's taking one large rat every two weeks, keep doing that.

After you move she may not eat. I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't know where you live, but if you're in FL you can try South Florida rodents. I've used them a number of times.

http://www.southfloridarodents.com/

If you're elsewhere you can try Rodent Pro. I'm placing my next order with them just to try out some of their other food types besides rats/mice.

http://www.rodentpro.com/

There's other ones, but I can't remember them since I've never used them. Someone else will post them I'm sure.
    It is okay to use pine bedding for snakes.
    It is okay to feed live food to snakes.