Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,417

0 members and 2,417 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,573
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Low temps & getting first bp Thursday

As my title says, I'm having trouble with my temps still. I just moved into the warmest room in the house from the cold basement and I still can't get my ambient temps up. I'm reading 91.7 for my hot spot, 50% humidity but only 71 for my ambient temp. I even covered the cool side with a thick towel to see if it would help and it didn't even raise it one degree...

I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to run 2 heat pads on the tub. I'll have to get a second heat pad and thermostat and set it to a proper temp. My only problem is... amazon.ca is out of the Jump Start thermostats and there's a 3-6 week wait. If I order through another vendor on amazon.ca, my estimated arrival is April 14-20 and that's a long time from now! I tried amazon.com but it says the item can't be shipped to my location.

I'm getting my first bp on Thursday from a breeder... My question is, will it be okay until the thermostat comes in with the cooler temp? It still has the 91 degree hot spot... I'm worried for it already

Thanks

Re: Low temps & getting first bp Thursday

I have one if you're interested. I PMed you.
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    You can also call any local plant nursery or grow shop. I bought mine locally from a grow shop for $35. Also to raise the ambient, use a CHE. That's what I use exclusively for Dottie and Victoria since they are both in 40 gallon breeders until I get around to ordering their T8 and T10 and it keeps them plenty warm and they don't even need a UTH.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 03-17-2015 at 02:58 AM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    UTHs are only for a hot spot, their job is not to heat ambient temperatures.
    Heat the room or get some overhead heating.

Thanks

I had a CHE but I returned it because I switched to a plastic tub? I was under the impression that you can't use them on tubs?

I have a space heater but can't use it. My house is very old and electric isn't good. It just keeps flipping the breaker for my room.

Another uth is my only option here. I don't know what else to do.
    Female Common Boa - Rosie
    Female Terrazzo Corn - Mercury

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Thumbs up Re: Low temps & getting first bp Thursday

Quote Originally Posted by hazzaram View Post
    I had a CHE but I returned it because I switched to a plastic tub? I was under the impression that you can't use them on tubs?

I have a space heater but can't use it. My house is very old and electric isn't good. It just keeps flipping the breaker for my room.

Another uth is really not what you need! Where would the bp cool off? I would get the che back and just position it outside the enclosure and track my temps until I get the ambient air acceptable. Stay in peace and not pieces. Don't forget to donate to USARK.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    Another uth is really not what you need! Where would the bp cool off? I would get the che back and just position it outside the enclosure and track my temps until I get the ambient air acceptable. Stay in peace and not pieces. Don't forget to donate to USARK.
    That won't melt the plastic at all? That's most what I'm worried about... When I plugged the CHE in when I had it before, it was so hot even on a dimmer...

Thanks
    Thanked 9,877 Times in 4,785 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hazzaram View Post

Until you get the second t-stat you can pick up a lamp dimmer at a big box hardware store. They cost about $15 and work as a short-term solution, and are ok as long as the room ambient temp doesn't swing. They work by limiting the power going to the heat pad, but they don't adjust the power so the pad stays at a constant temp like a thermostat does.

ETA: just read that you had the CHE on the dimmer. I wouldn't use a CHE with a plastic tub either. Put the dimmer on the second UTH and dial it back so the belly heat is 80-81*F on that spot. Put three hides in the tub, one over each UTH and the third on an unheated area, and your critter can figure out the best place to be.
    Last edited by bcr229; 03-17-2015 at 11:44 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Until you get the second t-stat you can pick up a lamp dimmer at a big box hardware store. They cost about $15 and work as a short-term solution, and are ok as long as the room ambient temp doesn't swing. They work by limiting the power going to the heat pad, but they don't adjust the power so the pad stays at a constant temp like a thermostat does.
    I actually have a dimmer. But everyone here seems to think a second uth isn't a good option, so I'm kind of stuck.

The only other thing I can do is switch back to my 20 gallon glass tank and see if I can make it work in there, but I doubt I can. I couldn't before with heat pads/a che, so I switched to a tub...

Now the tub isn't working and I'm frustrated and confused...

EDIT: I don't think I have a choice. I'm going to have to get a second heat mat and set it for like 80. Hopefully the snake will be okay with that.
    Last edited by hazzaram; 03-17-2015 at 11:47 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,877 Times in 4,785 Posts

It will be fine. Since you can't raise the ambient easily you're just giving the snake more options so it can regulate itself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast