Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,167

0 members and 3,167 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Adopted a new BP in Jan

Long story short, a friend of a friend was moving and couldn't take his BP with him so I offered to take her. She is 5 years old and came in a 40 gal tank with one hide, a water dish and one heat lamp.... That changed quickly, and she now has two hides, two UTH with a VE 200, one CHE on a rheostat a lexan top two thermometers etc... She hasn't missed a meal, is fairly active and seams to like watching me when I work (I work from home and she is in the office).

I know, a lot of people don't like tanks, but that's how I got her, and to be honest she lays with her head out of the hide watching me most of the day, so I don't think she minds.

I've been able to keep temps and humidity stable
    Hot side 90-92 surface 85-86 ambient
    Cold side 80-82 surface 76-78 ambient
    Humidity 50-55%

I have had snakes before, but it was a long time ago and I do have a few questions.

Temp: Is surface or ambient temp more important?
    Feeding: I was told she ate full sized F/T rats, but medium seam easier for her. If I feed every ~2 weeks is a med rat enough?
    Substrate: She's been on a towel all her life, and I kind of like it. Was thinking about Reptcarpet, but there seams to be some people that don't like it. I don't really like the idea of lose substrate, not sure why but I'd rather something that won't get stuck on the food etc. For one BP is there a reason to not use Reptcarpet?

Thanks for all opinions. The family is loving her, and I'm already thinking about more
    Last edited by pfriday; 03-16-2015 at 08:41 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pfriday For This Useful Post:

paulsalerno1 (03-17-2015)

Thanks

Re: Adopted a new BP in Jan

Congrats! She's beautiful!!
    I ll try to answer your questions .
    Temp: ambient temp s crucial to keep your snake in good appetite and stay away from RI. Surface is important on the hot side to help your snake digest her food. I ll say ambient > surface( more like equally important but low ambient ll cause your snake health issues more quickly)
    Feeding: your girl s already 5 so she must be getting used of some kind of feeding pattern ,my suggestion ll be stick with what the last owner do.
    Substrate : I keep mine with paper towel , easy to replace and preventing in taking the substrate when they stike( won't be a concern if u feed her in a different place)
    Hope this help and wish your girl stay happy and healthy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Adopted a new BP in Jan

And 1 more advice ....put 1 hide on cold side and 1 on hot side above the heat mat...so she can stay secured and less stressed on both side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk