Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,042

1 members and 3,041 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,567
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai

Thread: Rack temps

Thanks

Rack temps

Just got a new rack to hold everyone, but not sure where to put the temp probe. Right now I have it on the heat tape with the thermostat set to 92, but the tubs never seem to get that high. Should I put the probe in the tub?
    Thanks in advance.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Re: Rack temps

Quote Originally Posted by Mp432 View Post
    Just got a new rack to hold everyone, but not sure where to put the temp probe. Right now I have it on the heat tape with the thermostat set to 92, but the tubs never seem to get that high. Should I put the probe in the tub?
    Thanks in advance.
    You want it on the tape. You might need to set the thermostat higher to get the temp on the bottom of the tub correct.

ie, if there's a difference of 5 degrees between the tape and the bottom of the tub, adjust your thermostat setting accordingly.
    It is okay to use pine bedding for snakes.
    It is okay to feed live food to snakes.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Thumbs up Re: Rack temps

I was under the impression that the probe should be on the heat tape of the bottom tub. Reasoning being, heat rises and it would be easier to get the correct temp for the other tubs. That is just what I've heard. IMO. Peace

Thanks

Thanks. Right now I have it on the middle tub. What temps do you guys keep the tubs at?

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Thanks. Right now I have it on the middle tub. What temps do you guys keep the tubs at?
    I keep mine on the cooler end. 87 or 88 hotspot usually.

The tubs will end up at different temps most likely. You'll have to measure them for a bit and see what the variance is then try to find the happy medium for your rack.
    It is okay to use pine bedding for snakes.
    It is okay to feed live food to snakes.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Thumbs up Re: Rack temps

I agree with 200xth, although mine stays at 89. It fluctuates very little. Stay in peace and not pieces. Don't forget to donate to USARK so we can overturn "Lacey Act".

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    It depends a lot. Racks are very dependant on the room heat to work well. The organization I work for has a number of racks the probe on the heat tape on the middle rack the set point is 92ºF the hot spot temps bottom to top are, 88,90,90,91,90 The top and bottom are often cooled somewhat by the exposure to the room temp (the above rack is kept at 80ºF ambient room).

Albert is using good thought process but often the top and bottom are slightly cooler than the middle. I would always place the probe on the hottest place and allow the other spots to be cooler.

My personal rack is located in a cool room. (69ºF or cooler) I must run a cool side heater regulated for the top 2 and bottom 3 the hot side also needs two zones, the bottom 2 and top 3. The set points for the hot side is bottom 98ºF and the top is 95ºF this delivers 88º bottom and 90ºF top.

There is lots of variation with racks. They are an exercise in averages rather than precision.

Some in an effort to gain higher accuracy placed an cut section of bottom from a tub between tape and probe and left the 'probe' drawer empty. This I have tried a while cake but in my case made little difference.
    Last edited by kitedemon; 03-17-2015 at 08:45 AM.