Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,978

0 members and 2,978 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks
    And thanks to those who posted honest answers, good info here. Like I said, there's a ton of info out there on everything reptile and I'm just learning the ins and outs of the community.

Thanks guys!

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Some large snake species have become invasive to this country (USA.)
    They are known to destroy natural habitat.
    Seems like people just can't seem to take care of all of them. Just like cats.
    Why continue to allow them?
    Where do I start?

First what is really the question here because with the poor wording it's really hard to tell?

Let's see, I will reformulate the question and give my own answer.

Should large constrictors be added to the lacey act and banned from interstate transportation? ABSOLUTELY NOT. Why? Well first it is a problem of government infringing on people's right, I really don't like the big brother "I know what's best for you" mentality that takes aways my rights or anyone elses.

Second it makes NO SENSE, does not solve the problem and is based on FAKE science.

Tell me how the Constrictor Rule will solve the issue at hand? Explain to me how not being able to transport your animal(s) across the state will solve the issue in Florida? Explain to me why they include all those species when only Burms have been found in Florida?

Does Florida has an issue? Yes - Is it as bad as they make it sound? NO - Are private owners responsible for the Burmese population in the everglade? NO - Can the issue spray across the country? NO

Are you opposing the hunt? I do not oppose the hunt of any invasive species that is proven to be a nuisance to the eco system, I believe in controlled population management when it is necessary, now the question is, is it the case here?

I understand that you are new but I think you need to educate yourself on the real issue.

This is about money, and lobbying, the forces behind this law have a much bigger agenda than this a few years ago those same people thought all exotic animals should bee banned (hamsters, gold fish, parakeet, turtle etc), and not just from transportation but from ownership. Why because the people behind this believe that no animal should be kept as a pet, they actually went as far as assimilating pet ownership to slavery . When they failed a few years ago, they decided to divide and conquer by attacking a specific group, the one no one would care about, making giant snakes "the big evil monsters" that needed to be eliminated and so since 2012 we have been losing ground and will continue to do so if people do not educate themselves and think that because they don't keep X or Y species they don't have to be concerned.

Anyway some info on the burmese issue in the glades

http://vpi.com/publications
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 03-16-2015 at 03:32 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Marrissa (03-16-2015),Thomas Steele (03-17-2015)

Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks
    Thanks Deborah, makes sense to me. I don't see most reptiles becoming an issue for most states.

Thanks
    Do the burms in Florida have an ecological impact? Honestly, I have a hard time imagining so, seeing as their diets should closely overlap with that of the native crocodilians and therefore the burms shouldn't be bringing anything new to the table (or taking anything off of it, you could say). Do I oppose the hunts? I have a love/hate relationship with the ideas behind hunting as a whole. The hunting of animals for meat I am indifferent to, though I vehemently oppose sport/trophy hunting, particularly where it concerns predatory species. I will never be okay with seeing someone posing with a dead lion or looking at a stuffed cougar or bobcat. The removal of the invasive species falls in the first category mostly, since I can understand why it is necessary even if I don't like it.

Thanks
    Any invasive species has an ecological impact... A lot of my work has been on invasive plant species in hydrologically sensitive areas and it doesn't take much to throw weltand ecosystems out of whack. I believe there could be significant damage done by invasive snakes in the everglades, but like has already been said, there are already measures in place to prevent further escapes in that area. There's no reason for that to inform policies anywhere else in the country.

I'm not against hunting the snakes in the everglades, but I am against the big hunts that involve a lot of citizens. I could see a bunch of drunk people digging through the swamp to find snakes doing way more damage than the actual snakes.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis,
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Litorea caerulea
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi

BPnet Senior Member Bluebonnet Herp's Avatar
    Thanks
    As for the damage question, this has largely been overstated and blown out of proportion. Snakes are largely not apex predators with few exceptions. Only the largest Burmese pythons are able to achieve an apex predator status, while many die before adulthood. One factor is, despite popular belief, there are predators that kill and eat the pythons. Anything from cats and canines to maybe even a really big bullfrog or unnamed fish could eat just the smallest, youngest hatchlings, while birds of prey, alligators, crocodile, large cats (if there even is any) and indigo snakes will take out a juvenile. Adults still compete with, and are often eaten by alligators.
    These snakes also specifically do not cause that much damage at all, really. They do not eat everything in sight. Low metabolism, ambush predating snakes do not eat that often either, and the larger they get, the less often they even need to eat. They do not erode the terrain, unlike feral hogs. They do not cause damage to any natural or artificial structures either. They just kind of hang around, eat only so often, mostly preferring rodents or lagomorphs with an occasional variance (cotton rats are their primary source of prey) and try to stay warm and alive. The animal life around them is adapted to the presence of snakes; many animals around there have an instinctive response built in them to avoid predation from terrestrial predators unlike those on certain island ecosystems, and the effect of the snakes, contrary to the government's science fiction "studies," is not that severe at all, and the specific method they used to correlate the destruction of the Everglades, specifically the population decline, to the presence of the Burmese python was a very, very poor method we like to call an "assumption." The study itself did not factor in the myriad of other variable that could cause such population declines, particularly the introduction of other organisms during that time period, the deforestation that occurred, the pollution dumped in the Everglades, the alteration of drainage (the biggest problem, really, and this is really what's killing off a lot of things - including the pythons) and too many other variable to list. The method of data collection was also poor, as they just based the "population" number off the number of recorded roadkills during the listed time period. In a nutshell, it's all just junk science to feed an animal rights and eco-extreme agenda, while the greedy, self-serving "researchers" get paid big money by the aforementioned misanthropic groups for their corrupted bigotry.

Regardless, whatever happens in Florida is their problem. Anyone who knows a real thing about snakes, as well as being an honest person, (unlike anyone ever is in the government) would know these tropical snakes will not survive outside of a tropical climate. South Florida is the closest thing to that, being the northernmost sub-tropical zone in the continental United States. Everywhere else in the U.S. experiences temperatures that drop down low enough to at least inflict the snakes with a life-threatening respiratory infection, if not freezing them to death. Real facts from real science all point to the reality that these snakes will not be anywhere beyond South Florida. That's the honest truth. And as a Texan who has had to bear through overnight freezes and the rare snowfall, why should I have to be punished due to an ecological disaster thousands of miles away in a warmer environment? Why should any of us who do not live there, and do not live in such a climate, have to be punished because of such an ecological problem? So long as the animals are kept responsibly contained and cared for, they are not a problem, and that's the only place they could survive anyway. How Floridians choose to handle their problem is their business. If they choose to regulate the snakes or outright ban them, good for them.

And just to clarify real quick, the origin of the snakes was from a wholesale facility, specifically a structure made up of tents, that was literally blown away in the wake of Hurricane Andrew. It is unclear whether the snakes were captive bred or imported, but genetic studies have shown they are all closely related, and of a Vietnam locality. In combination to the fact they do not exhibit mutations, I am of the opinion they are imported individuals that are either farm bred or wild caught. Regardless, they were not pets at the time of release. They were originally destined to be pets, but things ultimately didn't turn out that way. But it should be known that it was a mere accident or freakish turn of events that lead to the population becoming established, not the intentional release by irresponsible pet keepers.

I have no long term management ideas in mind, unfortunately. However, I do dream of the day I can vacation to South Florida and, among enjoying other recreational activities, end my trip by legally capturing a Floridian python or two myself and legally be allowed to take them home, all without the prospect of becoming a felon, and I'm sure many other herpers here share the same opinion in what would be an ideal vacation. That's one less nonnative organism in the environment, which should make logical environmentalists happy, and one more beautiful snake in my collection, which makes me happy.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts
    The problem of invasive species in Florida is not limited to burmese pythons.

Here's a partial list of invasive reptile species in Florida:

Red-eared Slider
    Spectacled Caiman
    African Redhead Agama
    Giant Ameiva
    Brown Anole
    Hispaniolan Green Anole
    Puerto Rican Crested Anole
    Largehead Anole
    Bark Anole
    Knight Anole
    Barbados Anole
    Marie Gallant Sail-tailed Anole
    Cuban Green Anole
    Jamaican Giant Anole
    Brown Basilisk
    Green Basilisk
    Indochinese Tree Agama
    Oriental Garden Lizard
    Veiled Chameleon
    Rainbow Lizard
    Giant Whiptail
    Asian Flattail House Gecko
    Mexican Spinytail Iguana
    Black Spinytail Iguana
    Tokay Gecko
    Yellowhead Gecko
    Tropical House Gecko
    Common House Gecko
    Mediterranean Gecko
    Indo-Pacific Gecko
    Green Iguana
    Northern Curleytail Lizard
    Green-legged Curlytail Lizard
    Red-sided Curlytail Lizard
    Butterfly Lizard
    Many-lined Grass Skink
    Bibrons Gecko
    Giant Day Gecko
    Texas Horned Lizard
    Ocellated Gecko
    Ashy Gecko
    White-spotted Wall Gecko
    Moorish Wall Gecko
    Nile Monitor
    Javan Fliesnake
    Common Boa
    Burmese Python
    Brahminy Blind Snake
    Northern African Python

Now, I'm pretty sure not all of these found freedom during the hurricane...and while not all reptile owners are irresponsible, this hobby lends itself to stupid irreversible actions. Take a good long hard look at that list and then try to explain how - by in large - it doesn't reflect badly on us.

Boomerang, I don't think you're a troll. Unfortunately both side of the argument have focused so hard on the burmese python issue that it has become a hinge point for a lot of emotion. The bottom line is that Florida has a wide and varied array of invasive species and that many of them can be traced back to the exotic pet trade.

We do not do ourselves justice by blindly defending what has occurred and what is occurring. A by product of our freedom to keep what we want without restriction is that some may abuse this freedom. Instead of downplaying the problem or acting like it can be self managed, we should deal with the abuse on our end. I've seen very little of that.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

HVani (03-17-2015),O'Mathghamhna (01-19-2016)

Thanks

Re: Do you oppose the hunts in Florida?

Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    I'm not against hunting the snakes in the everglades, but I am against the big hunts that involve a lot of citizens. I could see a bunch of drunk people digging through the swamp to find snakes doing way more damage than the actual snakes.
    This is what I was talking about. I'm not sure hat people are like in other states, but most floridians who would take part in the hunt are like this. Maybe 2 out if 10 would actually care about Florida and the other 8 just want an excuse to hunt. For whatever reason, fake country people and fake rednecks has become the new thing here. Florida isn't a country state, it's a diversity state! I welcome the invasive species because Florida will never stop having them. Whether it's through imports or introduced by man. Just look at the carps that were brought here to reduce the invasive aquatic plants. There are still invasive aquatic plants and now the carps are eating the native ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts

Re: Do you oppose the hunts in Florida?

Quote Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post
    We do not do ourselves justice by blindly defending what has occurred and what is occurring. A by product of our freedom to keep what we want without restriction is that some may abuse this freedom. Instead of downplaying the problem or acting like it can be self managed, we should deal with the abuse on our end. I've seen very little of that.
    How though, as private owners and keepers, can we deal with these abuses on our end? Other than advocating responsible keeping, which we do, and trying to educate the public, which many of us do, there isn't much else that we're able to accomplish. Once that lizard or snake leaves the petshop, there's not much control anyone has over the matter. I do agree with what Florida has done to manage invasive burms, with the strict permit and tracking system, and if THAT were the solution proposed for federal regulation, I wouldn't see any problem. It targets people at the point of purchase and weeds out potential impulse buys.

Another thing that I think should be better managed is imports. I got this idea back when I was keeping green igs, and most of them were either wild caught or captive hatched on farms then shipped to the US, so maybe I'm a little off with current import practices, but limiting import purchases in both number of importers and number of animals imported could be another avenue. It would also drive up the demand for captive bred animals, which would be a boon to private breeders, as well as drive up the average retail price which, again, would help weed out impulse buys. $20 iguana hatchlings are a lot more appealing to someone budget shopping for a pet for little Timmy's birthday than an $80 - $120 dollar one.

However, there is no dispute that the Lacey act mostly punishes already responsible owners. Live in a border city and your vet is in the next state? Too bad, hope your animal doesn't get sick. Serve as one of the brave people in the armed forces and get moved around a lot? Hey, thanks for all your sacrifice to protect our rights and freedoms, but now the government is going to take yours away, and the next time you change bases that snake you've kept with you through everything for the last 15 year will have to find a new home or be euthanized. And how does this stop bad owners from dumping their pet by the side of the road? It doesn't. Point in fact, I would say it would more likely encourage it for a person that hasn't been able to rehome, but feels too bad about it to euthanize the animal. I've seen it with rabbit owners all the time. Tired of their pet, but no one wants to buy it (and the animal shelters around here won't take them), well, it's a bunny right? It can live in the woods and eat leaves there, right? So they take it out to a patch of "woods" (a lot of time just an empty, heavily treed lot) and let their precious pet go to live out the rest of its days carefree in the wild. Guess who usually ends up road kill, or dog chew toy in a week. Poor, poor Fluffy.

Anyway, my point is, I don't think for the most part anyone is mass defending the reptile hobby as a flawless paragon of responsible pet keeping. I'm all for tighter restrictions when they're proven to have a net benefit effect for owners, the captive animals, and the environment. What we ARE protesting, however, is wide reaching, clumsy legislation that caters mostly to the HSUS and PETA, and the divisive attitude of, "well some people couldn't handle the responsibility, so that means ALL of you are suspect," that even other reptile owners are throwing at the giant keepers (as if they're the only people we have to worry about). And let's not pretend that pet abandonment and invasive ferals are just a reptile owner problem. Look at how many feral cat and dog colonies this country boasts. It's almost Easter, and I'll bet you dollars to donuts you can not go on any social media site and not find some warning with adorable pics telling off people for buying bunnies, chicks, and ducklings for the season, just to get rid of them when they stop being small and cute.

The reptile nation is under fire, not because it's particularly bad compared to the rest of the pet industry, but because it's an easy target. Unless you agree with the extremist animal rights groups, and think no one should own pets ever, we need to stand together and fight against this, rather than point fingers.
    Last edited by Lizardlicks; 03-17-2015 at 01:18 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizardlicks For This Useful Post:

Bluebonnet Herp (03-18-2015)

Thanks
    you're fine, the community tends to be a forgivng one that likes to help with problems, and more people will post more information to help you understand more of it

sidenote, i hope noone gets injured or killed by a burm in south florida by some freak occurence, one death and the whole united states is ganna freak out. The thought of that scares me.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to xyzpdq75 For This Useful Post:

Citrus (03-17-2015)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast