Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,343

5 members and 3,338 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks

Do you oppose the hunts in Florida?

Some large snake species have become invasive to this country (USA.)
    They are known to destroy natural habitat.
    Seems like people just can't seem to take care of all of them. Just like cats.
    Why continue to allow them?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Thumbs up Re: Do you oppose the hunts in Florida?

Quote Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
    Some large snake species have become invasive to this country (USA.)
    They are known to destroy natural habitat.
    Seems like people just can't seem to take care of all of them. Just like cats.
    Why continue to allow them?
    Do you realize what you are saying? The hurricanes and tropical storms that have pervaded the state of Florida is the reason for the invading phenomena there. Absolutely is not the fault of giant Python keepers! Sure there have been some instances where some captive pythons have either escaped or been wrongly allowed to enter the wild by irresponsible owners. By far it has been the destruction caused by the severe storms. People who have lost their homes and institutions that housed these animals also destroyed by hurricanes and tropical storms subsequently causing the release into the environment. Reptile keepers are being made the sole reason for the South Florida problem and it is truly unfair and untrue! USFWS made this a National Law and its a travesty. We, along with USARK are prepared to fight this inappropriate legislation. USARK has filed a lawsuit to overturn this "Lacey act". We are donating and signing to and with USARK in solidarity and in action. Please join us! The whole nation of reptile keepers should not be responsible for a issue that is occurring in 1 state either! Stay in peace and not pieces.

Thanks
    I'm honestly wondering if you're trying to troll? If you're on the forum, or even just a snake owner I'd assume you HAVE to of heard about the recent new additions to the Lacey Act. And as a fellow animal lover, especially a reptile lover, you need to educate yourself on what's really going on. That destroying the environment thing is utter BS. By that logic why should we not be allowed to drive cars, use so much plastic, dump toxic waste, use so much electricity, invade wildlife habitat, etc because those things are WAY way more destructive than any snakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guhvCMVq6Cg
    http://ebnmedia.tv/episode-6/

Burms are not, and have never taken over the Everglades or any other part of the US. And there are no wild populations of anacondas or reticulated pythons in the US.
    Alluring Constrictors

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Marrissa For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (03-16-2015)

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    A great deal of the pythons invasive in the southern peninsula of Florida (because let's be specific, they aren't an invasive problem for the whole USA, just the southern most portion of the southern most state) ended up there from a hurricane destroying a building nearby the everglades that had housed them (I think it was Andrew, but I may have my dates wrong), or they are descendants of those original snakes. Now, Florida has taken steps to ensure keepers are not dumping their pets, requiring permits and micro chipping, and slapping a hefty fine on owners if their snakes are trapped and found there. The hunts... well I'm not opposed to hunting deer or rabbit, which are also introduced invasives, so I see no reason why wild pythons can not also be hunted or trapped to help control their populations.

Why continue to allow them... do you mean the hunts, or keeping the snakes? Because if you mean keeping snakes, then yeah, why allow anyone to keep any animal? Individuals have proven they are inept. There are feral cats everywhere. In several states, and growing in trend and number, there are also feral dog pack, which have already resulted in the deaths of humans, something which can't be said of the pythons. So why not ban everything? Ban all pets? Humans are clearly irresponsible and can never be trusted, ever.

Except we know that's not in the least bit true. It only takes a few bad apples to spoil the bunch, and in the case of snakes, which are already much maligned in the public eye, based on nothing more than ignorance and superstition, one bad apple is the only excuse that was needed. The Lacey ban was stupid legislation, based on a faulty and manipulated science model. Further, it does nothing but punish responsible owners. the irresponsible ones are going to ignore the law anyway, or resort to dumping their snakes when they can't take them with during a move, which is pretty much the exact opposite of helping.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizardlicks For This Useful Post:

IsmQui718 (03-16-2015)

Thanks
    Is this a serious post?

Why allow people to continue to eat bacon, when feral pigs have destroyed irreplaceable Hawaiian ecosystems? Why allow people to own cats or rats which make up much more harmful feral populations than snakes? The snakes are a south Florida problem ONLY. There is no reason for the rest of the country to be punished for a south Florida problem.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis,
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Litorea caerulea
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi

Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks

Re: Do you oppose the hunts in Florida?

Not trolling, just looking for insight. Most posts of this type are more about "don't forget to sign this petition" without a why. I'm new here, getting to understand the community. I figured someone would get pissed off right out of the gate, but it's just a question.

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    An honest question should be phrased honestly.

"Hey guys, I have a question about the recent additions to the Lacey ban. Most posts of this type are more about "don't forget to sign this petition" without a why. I'm new here, getting to understand the community. Can you explain to me what's going on?"

Phrasing it as you did in your first post paints a picture of hostility, of starting on the other side of the debate already and accusing other reptile keepers of being irresponsible. On a forum dedicated to the responsible care and keeping of snakes, can you really BLAME anyone for getting "mad" about it?

Words have meaning. "Just a question," phrased as a conflict isn't "just a question".

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
    I figured someone would get pissed off right out of the gate, but it's just a question.
    Figuring this you could have taken a bit more care in your phrasing - that is, if not upsetting folks was a concern. Basically, here's the situation. South Florida is a haven for non indigenous wildlife. While being the home for several large scale facilities it's also a major importing area and the weather is warm enough that many species can adapt to survive. Add in our rather volatile, inclement weather and it really was only a matter of time before one of the larger constrictors became established. There are literally hundreds of species of invasive plants and animals in South Florida, some have migrated outwards, some have not - burmese pythons being one of those isolated to the everglades and adjacent areas even though they have been in the wild here for 20+ years now. This is obviously a South Florida problem, that has already been handled by the state by the way, but is being used to amend federal laws - this is where most people have beef. These snakes are unable to survive outside a very specific microclimate, which is why they haven't migrated outward despite having been in the wild here for over two decades. Unfortunately, not much makes an easier target than the big, bad snake. They've been persecuted for thousands of years to the point that there's an ingrained fear and hatred in many folk who have never even had personal interactions with them.

I don't oppose trapping and humanely disposing of invasive species. I don't oppose a permit system for keeping certain animals. Florida has done an admiral job, in my opinion, with their efforts to curb accidental releases and weed out impulse buys from unqualified owners. In order to own certain species in the state a permit is required. Part of the application involves writing out a "disaster plan" in which you outline what will be done in the event of a disaster - power outage, hurricane, flood, fire, etc. We also have to get certain species microchipped once they reach a predetermined size so that if these animals are ever found in the wild the owner can be identified and prosecuted accordingly.

I strongly oppose amending federal laws based on bad science and fear mongering propaganda. This is and always will be a South Florida problem and it is already being dealt with by the state. The new additions to the Lacey Act are overkill to the extreme and this is why folks are rather on edge lately.
    Last edited by John1982; 03-16-2015 at 02:18 PM.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (03-16-2015),Bluebonnet Herp (03-17-2015),Chkadii (03-16-2015),Citrus (03-16-2015),HVani (03-16-2015),Lizardlicks (03-16-2015),Marrissa (03-17-2015)

Thanks

Do you oppose the hunts in Florida?

I'm in south florida and I've been out many times to search for whatever herps I could find. Not only have I never seen a python in the wild here, but I also don't think they are a problem. Let me put it this way: the harmless green iguanas are now seen and excepted as an introduced species that will always remain. Their only threat is dogs and the occasional below 60* cold fronts. There are a few immigrants who will eat the iguanas but that's only when it gets so cold that the damn things fall out of trees. Why are pythons any different? Because "snakes are too spooky"? Is it because a few were found eating alligators? Most of the people (not the ones who actually care and know what they are doing for Floridas "natural" environments) who want take part in hunting these snakes really just want to kill an animal and would kill alligators if they were "the problem." The only invasives I can find a problem with are fish (snakeheads will wreck everything in a matter of weeks) and several plants but that's because I can't fish without catching a snakehead or a bushel of aquatic plants that were not here 10 years ago. The Cuban knight anoles are about the meanest thing I've encountered aside from snakeheads, but the difference is no one is doing anything about the knight anoles - which I've observed destroying smaller lizards.
    Point is the pythons are harmless. The invasives pretty much belong because almost anything can live here and thrive. But that is here, in Florida. Not in any other state. Florida is the only place that these snakes could live. Other states it would require one winter and boom, they're all gone. You don't think horrible owners have released their snakes in northern states? I course that's happened, it's just that the snake would have died quickly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Citrus; 03-16-2015 at 02:43 PM.

Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks

How someone takes something is strictly their deal. I'm not responsible for their emotions. It was not hostile, just trying to get a gauge on why we should feel certain ways about reps and the law. I don't know much today about the lacey thing. I'm a new reptile owner.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast