Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,855

3 members and 3,852 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Height/Quality of tubs

Evening BP.net,

I am in the market for a rack system and have been looking at going with something from c-serpents. I really like the vision tubs, especially the fact I can swap out v15s with v18s and then up to the v35 short tubs. My only concern is the height of the tubs being just over three inches where the regular v35 being over five inches. Should I be concerned with this? Can someone with experience with all of these vision tubs chime in with how you like or dislike each and for what reasons?

Is there any reason to favor vision over say Rubbermaid besides the thickness and lack of channels in the bottom of the tub? Am I just being picky or are they all equal in quality?

My goal is to be efficient while not sacrificing quality and space while also trying to remember that I am keeping living breathing animals and I want what is best for them.

Thanks for any and all input.

Greg

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would bypass the V15 and for straight to a V18 for hatchlings V18 it will allow you to grow snake up until they reach about 600+ grams. (That will be one less upgrade)

Once they are ready to upgrade they can go into a V35 however a normal V35 not the short one, the short one will only allow you to keep BP up to about 800 grams. (So skip the V35 short)

Now for bigger females I recommend V70.

Vision tubs are thicker, stronger and have no groves making cleaning a lot easier.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

EasiGregory (03-16-2015)

Thanks
    Deborah - First off, thanks for the response. While your information is helpful it also concerns me. It seems Chris over at c-serpents does not sell a rack that houses both the V18 and the V35 regular tubs. Looks like I am back to the drawing board.

What do you all do to remedy this situation where you want to have tubs that fit the snakes as they grow while also not having 2-3 separate racks which in turn burns holes in your pocket? Suck it up? Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Guess Ill keep shopping around

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Height/Quality of tubs

Quote Originally Posted by EasiGregory View Post
    Deborah - First off, thanks for the response. While your information is helpful it also concerns me. It seems Chris over at c-serpents does not sell a rack that houses both the V18 and the V35 regular tubs. Looks like I am back to the drawing board.
    If you have something in mind for example you need V18 and V35 tubs he can do that, matter of fact he already does. He has a rack that can house V15, V18, V35 Shorts and V35, I do not think it is on his site but it is on his facebook and I have seen it at shows.

Since V15, V18 and V35 short are all compatible you can just have V18 tubs instead of the other tubs (each shelf would contain 2 of them) and have shelves with V35

Anyway email him or call him he is one of the best and will work with you.
    Deborah Stewart

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

EasiGregory (03-16-2015)

Thanks

I was in the same situation so I made my own with xPVC. I'm not a DIYer but it turned out great. I'll post my build in the DIY thread when I get the pictures organized. I wanted something that would hold the V-18 and V-35s containers since they're the same height. The rack I built has 9 levels and can hold two V-18s or one V-35s per level. As Deborah pointed out, the V-35s is limited in size and shouldn't be used for large females. I have a 950g male in a V-35s and he fits perfectly. I wanted a rack for upcoming hatchlings (hopefully) but didn't want to spend 500+. With the xPVC, tubs, heat tape, and screws I spent around $250.

Matt

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ictguy78 For This Useful Post:

EasiGregory (03-16-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ictguy78 View Post
    I was in the same situation so I made my own with xPVC. I'm not a DIYer but it turned out great. I'll post my build in the DIY thread when I get the pictures organized. I wanted something that would hold the V-18 and V-35s containers since they're the same height. The rack I built has 9 levels and can hold two V-18s or one V-35s per level. As Deborah pointed out, the V-35s is limited in size and shouldn't be used for large females. I have a 950g male in a V-35s and he fits perfectly. I wanted a rack for upcoming hatchlings (hopefully) but didn't want to spend 500+. With the xPVC, tubs, heat tape, and screws I spent around $250.

Matt
    I can not seem to find any local dealer for the xpvc which means I would need to use melamine. Not sure at this point whether I am wanting to create my own vs buying something. I had planned on building something but with the cheaper prices of the smaller racks it is starting to blur the lines of price vs cost savings.

At this present time I am only going to be picking up a few hatchlings BPs to start out my collection again. So the smaller tubs like the V18 and V35 short tubs are not going to be an issue for the immediate time. But I am trying to think towards the future and being able to keep them in larger tabs. But I also keep and breed leopard geckos so I need something that can accommodate both species. I may have to just have two racks, one for smaller/juvenile BPs/Leos and one for my breeder females. At this point I am not sure what is or will be the most efficient setup for now.

Thanks to everyone for their input and ideas.

Greg

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EasiGregory View Post
    I can not seem to find any local dealer for the xpvc which means I would need to use melamine. Not sure at this point whether I am wanting to create my own vs buying something. I had planned on building something but with the cheaper prices of the smaller racks it is starting to blur the lines of price vs cost savings.

At this present time I am only going to be picking up a few hatchlings BPs to start out my collection again. So the smaller tubs like the V18 and V35 short tubs are not going to be an issue for the immediate time. But I am trying to think towards the future and being able to keep them in larger tabs. But I also keep and breed leopard geckos so I need something that can accommodate both species. I may have to just have two racks, one for smaller/juvenile BPs/Leos and one for my breeder females. At this point I am not sure what is or will be the most efficient setup for now.

Thanks to everyone for their input and ideas.

Greg
    Reptile Basics has a rack of four 28qt tubs you can get dividers for. You'll need something bigger for your females at some point, but the 28qt tubs should keep in good shape for a while.
    It is okay to use pine bedding for snakes.
    It is okay to feed live food to snakes.

Registered User Black Hills Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks

If you are looking to build I would use plywood instead of melamine. It's lighter and if you put poly over it it's completely water tight. It won't swell as much and last longer. In the next month I'll be building mine off of an animal plastics design.

Thanks
    Unfortunately for myself I have a wife that will absolutely not allow something like a plywood rack to enter the house It will need to half way resemble a piece of furniture. I have worked with wood many a time and am confident that I would be able to make something quite nice out of melamine or pvc if I can find a local vendor.

At the moment I am fine with purchasing something small like a 3-5 shelf rack and then later on getting something bigger for the grow out females. In the end I need to decide if building something vs buying is the way to go. Right now I am looking to spend sub 300$ so not sure which route Ill go.

Thank you to everyone that has weighed in with their ideas and comments.

Greg

Thanks

Greg-

I just posted my DIY thread: http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...nd-coreydelong!

It could very well work for what you're looking for. I didn't think I had a local xPVC supplier either. I did a lot of searching and ended up calling a couple of places that do signs for businesses. From several calls I found out that I had two local suppliers. One - Regal Plastics - is a larger, nationwide company. The other is a smaller local company. The Regal Plastics quote was about $250 less than the local company. While I do like supporting local companies, it didn't make sense to spend $250 more.

Matt
    Last edited by ictguy78; 03-16-2015 at 09:18 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ictguy78 For This Useful Post:

SnakeBalls (03-18-2015)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast