Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,185

1 members and 3,184 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Possible Adoption

Hey guys

So i was out last night watching my friends band play and i was speaking with an old friend from school who moved back to town a few months back. She has two snakes she is trying to get rid of because her new job is taking her away from home for weeks on end apparently. this morning i went to see the snakes and handled the smaller BP (kiss) for abit, the snakes was very active in my hands and its tounge was going non stop. I noticed no deformities in its skin or bell and nothing around the mouth so as little knowledge as i have i think she may have took pretty good care of it. so im asking you guys, Do you think i should take this snake off her hands? its eyes are blue so its in early stages of shedding she tells me.

lay it on me guys

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Possible Adoption

Hi,

As long as you have the setup, wherewithal and the ability to quarantine the new arrival I don't see why not.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks
    hey guys

so i adopted the BP and he is home with us now, the first day it he spent some time cruising his aquarium and laying on top of his hide with his nose in the air enjoying his heat! i made a few adjustments to the top of the cage to hold some heat. the first day his eyes were blue so he is definitely going into shed, i wanted to ask you guys if it was common for them to stay in their hides 24/7 during shed or if hes just not use to his new home? the only sight we have had of him was when i lifted his hide to give him a slight mist. wish i could post pictures but im not sure how to on this forum

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JhaRhod View Post
    hey guys

so i adopted the BP and he is home with us now, the first day it he spent some time cruising his aquarium and laying on top of his hide with his nose in the air enjoying his heat! i made a few adjustments to the top of the cage to hold some heat. the first day his eyes were blue so he is definitely going into shed, i wanted to ask you guys if it was common for them to stay in their hides 24/7 during shed or if hes just not use to his new home? the only sight we have had of him was when i lifted his hide to give him a slight mist. wish i could post pictures but im not sure how to on this forum
    Don't mist him while he's in blue. Don't soak him either. If you're worried about humidity levels, setup a humid hide for him.

Yes, it's common for them to hide when they're in shed. It's also common for them to hide a lot normally, if they are comfortable and the environment is correct.
    Last edited by 200xth; 03-17-2015 at 02:27 PM.
    It is okay to use pine bedding for snakes.
    It is okay to feed live food to snakes.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 200xth For This Useful Post:

JhaRhod (03-17-2015)

Thanks
    thank you!

I stated that incorrectly and i apologize, the day i gave him a little misting his eyes had cleared and after a little research they are suppose to before the next stage of shedding. Is it ok to mist him at all during shedding? and when you say a humid hide, would some moss in his hide be suitable for that? im very new too actually owning a snake so expense right now isnt an issue, please inform me to your best knowledge

appreciate it guys

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

thank you!

I stated that incorrectly and i apologize, the day i gave him a little misting his eyes had cleared and after a little research they are suppose to before the next stage of shedding. Is it ok to mist him at all during shedding? and when you say a humid hide, would some moss in his hide be suitable for that? im very new too actually owning a snake so expense right now isnt an issue, please inform me to your best knowledge
    It's not necessary to mist him at all during shedding. It can cause problems. Once I realize mine are in their shed cycle, I generally just leave them alone entirely until they shed.

A humid hide is just a hide with some damp moss or something in it to increase the humidity inside the hide. It gives them a place to go if they need it to be more humid to help with their shed. There's some threads around here somewhere about creating one. Should be able to search for them or google it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 200xth For This Useful Post:

JhaRhod (03-17-2015)

Thanks
    i should be getting into bed for work but im so excited, im witnessing a shed before my very eyes. he was doing circles in his hide all day and now i see he is halfway shed and still working it! what do you guys think i should do these next days im kind of nervous as im away at work most of the day for the next 2

Thanks
    should i feed him immediately? i wont have a chance to get any food for him until my 24 hour split in 2 days? can i handle him right away and inspect his shed?

Thanks
    it looks as if he had some troubles shedding right behind his head on his back and hes rubbing that spot on himself aggressively to get it loose

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

should i feed him immediately? i wont have a chance to get any food for him until my 24 hour split in 2 days? can i handle him right away and inspect his shed?
    You can handle him when he's done.

It's up to you if you want to feed him. Two days without food will definitely not hurt him. Two days without food to him means less than you skipping your afternoon snack.
    Last edited by 200xth; 03-17-2015 at 09:38 PM.