Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,235

1 members and 3,234 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
    Thanks

Is my BP fasting?

Im about ready to rip my hair out because I'm so stressed out. She has done this before, during the winter, so I'm assuming thats whats going on because it has been a couple months since she has eaten. Her humidity and temperature are just fine, her tank is kept clean, and ive never had a problem with any of that. Shes active, flicking her tongue a bunch, and acting just fine. I'd just like to triple check with you guys cause I want to make sure shes as healthy as can be and im a little concerned that she may start to lose a bunch of weight. I don't want her to turn into a little noodle. Any ideas on how I can spike her interest in eating again? I try to feed her every 10 to 15 days and I always feed her frozen/thawed small rats, but Ive been told that I should try feeding her a live one. I just dont know if she'd expect a live rat every time I fed her afterwards, or what id do if she didnt eat it. Ive also been told to try soaking the rat in chicken broth to see if the smell would spike her interest? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. I swear this snake will be the death of me. Im constantly stressing about her lately. Again, any advice or opinions would be awesome, thanks guys

Thanks

Re: Is my BP fasting?

Also, when I said I try to feed her 10 to 15 days, I mean that's how often I offer her a rat to try to get her to eat again. I dont wait that long when shes eating regularly.

Thanks
    Keep doing what you're doing, she'll come around. If you're concerned about weight loss, make sure your weighing her every couple of weeks. After two months of not eating, she's probably lost nothing.

Thanks

Nothing to worry about; our female normal quit eating in late October. Since then she has eaten a small live rat that our pied refused and one medium frozen rat; going to see if she'll eat today. She's looks good, hasn't lost weight and heat/humidity are fine

Just keep doing what you're doling; yours will eat when it's ready.
    1.0 Trick Pinstripe (Loki)
    0.1 Firefly Axanthic (Oreo)
    1.0 VPI Black Satin Black Pastel (Sneaky)
    1.0 Pied (Spot)
    0.1 Normal (Fatty)
    0.1 Bumblebee (Bumble)
    1.0 Pastel Genetic Stripe. (Ozzy)

Thanks

Okay It's just nice to be reminded that other people deal with the same things haha I love BP's so much but their eating habits seriously stress me out. Maybe I'm just overly paranoid...The first Ball Python I ever got was from a guy that didnt take very good care of it and I didnt know that it was sick when I got it. It never ate, and I found out It had a blood infection and scale rot, so $700 later, even after shots and medicated ointment, he died. And it was one of the worst things Ive ever had to go through. I dont ever want to go through that again, and I want to do my absolute best at keeping my snake healthy, So I try to suck up as much knowledge as I can.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    I understand what you are going through. They can survive a long time without eating without any ill effects. Try and just let it slide.
    My adult just broke her 5 1/2 month fast today.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.