Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,681

3 members and 2,678 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,573
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Breeding experts

Im fairly new to the world of ball python breeding. lol I have a question regarding what my first ball python should be. Right now I want a female baby and later down the road I want to start breeding as a hobby once I get enough experience and learn more about morphing/the different variations of colors. Right now as I mentioned before I want a female baby, I'm just not sure what kind I should get. Any advice?

Thanks
    Hello, I as well am fairly new and have started a collection/project . In my opinion double dominant and co-dominant genes are a good start, like a bumblebee (pastel x spider) or a pewter (cinnamon x pastel) or any combination of genes you find attractive. You mainly just have to look up the morphs and decide what you like and what direction you would like to go. I for one decided im in love with the banana gene. My current collection is a 1 male a banana ghost, and 4 females, a pastel, a pewter, a ghost, and 100% het. ghost

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    What ever kind you want! Okay but seriously, if you would like to breed your beeps, think about the morph combinations you like, then look at how to produce them. Personal advice: stick with dom and co-dom combos for your first projects, and save recessive for after you've got a handle on things.

Thanks

Re: Breeding experts

Quote Originally Posted by BigJay View Post
    Hello, I as well am fairly new and have started a collection/project . In my opinion double dominant and co-dominant genes are a good start, like a bumblebee (pastel x spider) or a pewter (cinnamon x pastel) or any combination of genes you find attractive. You mainly just have to look up the morphs and decide what you like and what direction you would like to go. I for one decided im in love with the banana gene. My current collection is a 1 male a banana ghost, and 4 females, a pastel, a pewter, a ghost, and 100% het. ghost
    I like how you mention to go in what direction I would like to go in, cause so far my favorites go way back to the basic axanthics and spiders. I saw a really cool fire spider axenthic, and im in love with bumble bee axanthics. Other ones I liked were axanthic pieds. Any variation of the spider pattern, and the colors white, silver and black are my fave. Axanthics are recessive though, so I dont know how I would start off getting in this direction lol. Should I get a spider to start since its dominant? Or find something that has a het anxanthic? No sure how dominant and co dominate work when starting off breeding. Im still learning.

Thanks
    I almost picked up a VPI Axanthic Spider female off of kingsnake last week, the axanthic genes are super stunning. Adding the Fire gene to axanthic will boost the colors to be brighter. On a side note I do believe there is around 3 different lines of Axanthics. VPI axanthics were my favorite but I havent seen too many adults so I cant be sure what the colors look like when there fully grown, but the ones I saw had browned out and lost the axanthic black and white look.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BigJay View Post
    I almost picked up a VPI Axanthic Spider female off of kingsnake last week, the axanthic genes are super stunning. Adding the Fire gene to axanthic will boost the colors to be brighter. On a side note I do believe there is around 3 different lines of Axanthics. VPI axanthics were my favorite but I havent seen too many adults so I cant be sure what the colors look like when there fully grown, but the ones I saw had browned out and lost the axanthic black and white look.
    I found out the VPI line makes them so that when they get older their colors stay silver and black. At least a true VPI line. The urban python has a lot of axanthic bees VPI. I also found an axanthic bumble from the snake keeper. I cant choose. Not sure which one will be better for breeding.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You should et what YOU like based on

1/ your budget
    2/ weather you want to work with recessive, co-dom or dom
    3/ weather you want to work long or short terms projects
    4/ what YOU want to produce

Don't let other's opinion dictate what you have in YOUR racks and what YOU produce because YOU are the one that will care for those animal and look at them everyday, no one else.

Go on WOBP look at pictures and see what you like, go to shows see animals in person and do the same.
    Deborah Stewart

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (03-12-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Thumbs up Re: Breeding experts

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post

1/ your budget

Don't let other's opinion dictate what you have in YOUR racks and what YOU produce because YOU are the one that will care for those animal and look at them everyday, no one else.

Go on WOBP look at pictures and see what you like, go to shows see animals in person and do the same.
    Straight up and true to the point Deb! I really like the way you clarified that! Makes all the sense in the world. Thank you for that. Peace.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Stewart_Reptiles (03-12-2015)

Thanks
    If I can ad something that I think is the most important part of buying a first ball python....The Seller. Finding a reputable trustworthy breeder that is going to go the extra mile for you before, during and after the sale is PRICELESS!!

I scan kingsnake ads daily just to keep up on the goings on and I have to say that I would not advise anybody to buy from more than half of the sellers on there. Fuzzy pictures, color adjusted pictures, mislabeled snakes....list goes on and on.

Things to ask the breeder: What was the pairing that produced this snake and can I get pics of the parents? When was the hatch date? What are the last few dates the snake has eaten? What did it eat...live, frozen thawed, mouse, rat...? Can I get a couple more current pictures? You get the idea. I could answer all of these questions and send pictures from my phone in less than 5min. If a breeder is not going to give you 5 min pass them by. DO NOT be tempted to buy a good deal from a bad breeder.

If you find a snake your leaning toward feel free to private message me or post on here and I would be more than happy to help you. Trust me that the snake you like the most changes week to week. One week I love pieds, the next I'm all ghost. Right now I'm all about leaopards
    0.1 Firefly Lesser
    1.1 Firefly Het Pied
    0.1 Lesser
    0.1 Vanilla Cream
    0.1 Flame Pinstripe
    0.1 Black Pewter Ghost
    0.1 Pastel Calico Leopard het Pied
    0.1 Super Pastel Axanthic
    1.1 Piebald
    1.0 Superfly
    1.0 Mimosa
    1.1 Hypo Trans Bearded Dragons
    2.0 French Bulldogs
    0.1 Russian Blue Cat

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BrianDallek For This Useful Post:

CrazyPiston (03-13-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post

1/ your budget

Yes, that is true. It is ultimately my decision. However I was asking for advice really. Thanks though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast