Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,198

1 members and 3,197 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User SJSuperiorPythons's Avatar
    Thanks

Peackock Monitor Help

Hey bp.net i just acquired a peacock monitor or blue spotted timor monitor about 15 inches and maybe 6 months to a year old if i had to guess. I bought him/her from Outback Reptiles at the All Maryland reptile show on March 7th 2015. I'm assuming he is wild caught judging by a few small scars on his legs and back.

Now I have a few questions about it. He regularly walks around and basks in the open and rarely hides unless I put my arm in his enclosure to spray or change water. What is the best food to start him off on? I bought superworms but he just walks right passed them without acknowledgment. How long would it be until he starts eating for me? Also he is in a 6'x3'x3' with about 6 to 8 inches of eco earth but I want to build him a smaller yet taller enclosure. Do you guys think a 3'x2'x5' would be okay? Thank you in advance ☺

Thanks

Re: Peackock Monitor Help

[IMG]http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/08/f4cc1e6f012cd1682cc4109873647bf8.jpg

Thanks

First day home. About 3 hours after I introduced him to the enclosure

Thanks

And this is his enclosure

Registered User Daniel.michelle's Avatar
    Thanks
    Post this along with a few pics to varanustalk.com it is a monitor lizard specific forum. You will get way more professional help there specific to your lizard.

I don't know everything about your monitor in specific. but start tong feeding him freeze/thawed mice (that have bones etc, not just pinkies!!!)

I suggest feeding a mouse or two a day and after the mice, set in a bowl of worms or tong feed them too (a little too time consuming for me tho to tong feed bugs). make sure your basking is good and hot and your humidity is high. Look into bioactive substrate too. I'm not sure about tank size... the bare minimum is 2x the lizards length is as tall or wide the tank is (depending on vertical or horizontal oriented) and the lizards length as deep and wide/tall defending on orientation.

So let's say your lizard gets 4 feet long for example. Since its vertical oriented, it would be 8 feet tall and 4 feet wide and deep.
    Savannah monitor 1.1.40
    Bearded dragon 2.0.0
    Crested gecko 0.0.1
    Leopard gecko 0.1.0
    Mountian horned dragon 0.0.1
    tiger salamander 0.0.1
    ball Python 0.0.1

Thanks
    Nice little guy!!! Definitely jack up the humidity. And add a LOT more to climb on. These guys I know are climbers.

Also I hear they are a lot more skittish than other monitors.
    Last edited by Daniel.michelle; 03-08-2015 at 11:25 PM.
    Savannah monitor 1.1.40
    Bearded dragon 2.0.0
    Crested gecko 0.0.1
    Leopard gecko 0.1.0
    tiger salamander 0.0.1
    ball Python 0.0.1

Thanks
    Cover any screen with tinfoil, or rig the lights inside the enclosure so you don't have any loss of humidity. Sorry if I'm being annoying, just trying to help.
    Savannah monitor 1.1.40
    Bearded dragon 2.0.0
    Crested gecko 0.0.1
    Leopard gecko 0.1.0
    tiger salamander 0.0.1
    ball Python 0.0.1

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel.michelle View Post
    Nice little guy!!! Definitely jack up the humidity. And add a LOT more to climb on. These guys I know are climbers.

Also I hear they are a lot more skittish than other monitors.
    My humidity fluctuates between about 60 and 90 percent but yeah i planned on going out through the would to get some more branches and get some live plants from the nursery
    Cover any screen with tinfoil, or rig the lights inside the enclosure so you don't have any loss of humidity. Sorry if I'm being annoying, just trying to help.
    Post this along with a few pics to varanustalk.com it is a monitor lizard specific forum. You will get way more professional help there specific to your lizard.

I don't know everything about your monitor in specific. but start tong feeding him freeze/thawed mice (that have bones etc, not just pinkies!!!)

I suggest feeding a mouse or two a day and after the mice, set in a bowl of worms or tong feed them too (a little too time consuming for me tho to tong feed bugs). make sure your basking is good and hot and your humidity is high. Look into bioactive substrate too. I'm not sure about tank size... the bare minimum is 2x the lizards length is as tall or wide the tank is (depending on vertical or horizontal oriented) and the lizards length as deep and wide/tall defending on orientation.

So let's say your lizard gets 4 feet long for example. Since its vertical oriented, it would be 8 feet tall and 4 feet wide and deep.

Thanks

Woods*

Thanks

Okay so he'll probably get around 2ft. I think a 3'x2'x5' tall would work as i wanted to put a varanus melinus in the 6x3x3 long

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast