Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,271

1 members and 3,270 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User corie.carpenter3's Avatar
    Thanks

What is wrong with my girl?

I have a ball python named Delilah. I've had her a little over a year. She's never had trouble eating before but now I think she is really sick. She hasn't eaten since December 24. I figured it was no big deal because it's cooler now. The past two weeks she has had decreased activity and I think she's losing weight. Now she's in a full shed. Her skin doesn't look right. Her temps are all good. I raised her humidity today because of the shed. Her eyes didn't even go blue before this shed. It came outta nowhere. Is this serious or am I overreacting? Do I need to take her to tha vet?

Corie Dee
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: What is wrong with my girl?

Oh. I forgot the pics.

Corie Dee
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 971 Posts

That is a horrible stuck shed...I would put her in a damp snake bag/pillow case until it comes off..

4. The Following User Says Thank You to coldbloodaddict For This Useful Post:

corie.carpenter3 (03-06-2015)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Agreed, she tried to shed but nothing came off. Your house heat has probably got her humidity down to zip. I doubt all that will come off but please try a damp cloth in her enclosure over the hot spot.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kibbleswhites For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The two above answers are good solutions. You can also soak her in warm water (should feel slightly cool to you) about half as deep as snake is tall. Supervised, with a washcloth in it for grip is how I do it. Helps prevent any drowning possibilities but gives them a bit more opportunity to be escape artists
    0.1 Lesser Pastel

Black Spooky Kitty
    0.1 Faye Tiny Kitty

?.?
    Feral Cat Colony

And more on the way always....

8. The Following User Says Thank You to anicatgirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I've been soaking her and I've raised her humidity. She's become more active and that skin is starting to come off. I was up with her all night. I haven't tried feeding her again but I figured that she won't eat with all the changes and attention. I'll try again when everything settles down. I got some shed ease. I've been rubbing that on her too. It seems to be helping. Thank u all for the advice. It seems to b working.

Corie Dee
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks

Do snakes shed when they haven't eaten in 3 months or is this a sign of weight loss?

Corie Dee
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by corie.carpenter3 View Post
    Do snakes shed when they haven't eaten in 3 months or is this a sign of weight loss?

Corie Dee

Ball pythons usually shed every month to every few months. Very normal. What's not "normal" is how it stuck to her. Please make sure your humidity is at a steady 50% at all times or as close as you can get it to that. When she's going to shed try bumping it up (possibly with misting) to 60-70%. A humid hide will help with the next shed. Signs of a shed coming on is fading color and "blue" milky looking eyes. A good practice is to NOT use the dial (round) hygrometers to measure humidity. They are extremely inaccurate.

As Far as not eating, she doesn't feel good at the moment. A lot of snakes won't eat a few days before their shed/during their shed.

Hopefully She keeps getting more active as you get the stuck shed off. I agree with you about holding off feeding again for a few days (even a week) because she's getting so much attention.

Good luck!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to AnnaK231 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by corie.carpenter3 View Post

Corie Dee
    When my adult Ball goes on fast for 4-5 months, she does Not shed during that period. And there are visual signs of weight loss.

One strange thing happened a few months ago during this current fast. Only one eye turned milky. I naturally thought a shed was in order. But the eye cleared up in 4 days or so and no shed took place. Also, the fast continued and still does.

One thing that is consistent about these Balls, they are inconsistent!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Put her in a small Tupperware container with a little bit of water and put the top on with air holes in it obviously and then put the whole thing in her cage so she doesn't get chilled or cold. Then let her sit in there for 30-45 mins. Then use a warm wet washcloth and let her slide through it a few times. Repeat as needed. That shed is horrible. Biggest things you want to check for are eye caps and the tip of the tail to make sure those items come off.

Also because it looks like you have really low humidity, something you can do if you cant tank humidity up is put in moist hide boxes. Just buy containers that she fits into nicely and then cut a hole in the side and then line the inside with moist sphagnum moss. You can just re moist as needed when you see she is going into shed. She will use those moist hide boxes and it will make life easier for you if you cant get the whole cage up in humidity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast