Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,236

1 members and 3,235 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I see petition popping here and there as well as groups and pages for people to voice their opinion, I understand this is meant to do well however the truth is this is beyond signing petitions, petitions will not do anything at this point, the answer is supporting USARK this is the only chance we have to reverse this.

If everyone signing petition would actually join USARK and tell others to join USARK it would accomplish a lot more.

Again 3 important links

http://usark.org/membership-signup/ USARK Membership

http://usark.org/reptile-defense-fund-2/ Reptile Defense Fund

http://usark.org/product/donation-5-increments/ USARK Donations
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 03-08-2015 at 03:09 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (03-08-2015),Daniel.michelle (03-08-2015),Gio (03-08-2015),Lisa Annmarie (03-09-2015),nightrainfalls (03-08-2015)

Thanks

Re: More snakes to join Burmese python on restricted list

Quote Originally Posted by blue roses View Post
    Did you guy ever think of organizing a march on washington, carrying our snakes up to the capital steps. Just think about all the signs saying, the biggest snakes live here.
    I dunno how well this would help us, but I like this idea.
    0.1 Lesser Pastel

Black Spooky Kitty
    0.1 Faye Tiny Kitty

?.?
    Feral Cat Colony

And more on the way always....

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    I see petition popping here and there as well as groups and pages for people to voice their opinion, I understand this is meant to do well however the truth is this is beyond signing petitions, petitions will not do anything at this point, the answer is supporting USARK this is the only chance we have to reverse this.

If everyone signing petition would actually join USARK and tell others to join USARK it would accomplish a lot more.

Again 3 important links

http://usark.org/membership-signup/ USARK Membership

http://usark.org/reptile-defense-fund-2/ Reptile Defense Fund

http://usark.org/product/donation-5-increments/ USARK Donations

NICE EASY LINKS!!!

Joined and Donated.

Who's next?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Stewart_Reptiles (03-08-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Thumbs up Re: More snakes to join Burmese python on restricted list

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Thankfully the boas were not included in the list, but I expect there will be another effort made in the future to add them based on statements made in:
    http://www.ibtimes.com/lacey-act-sna...lovers-1839762.
    Thanks bcr229, anicatgirl for those links to support usark and to petition and donate for change. We all need to stick together to eradicate this "lacey act" legislation. It is ridiculous to blame the reptile community for the invasive problem in Fla. Ever since the 1920's there have been hurricaines and tropical storms in Fla. that are the true causes of this problem. People died, houses and properties destroyed, possessions both material and otherwise including pets domestic and exotic. Isn't the natural disaster the true cause of the problem. We are being made the scapegoat and it's truly unfair. I second the motion to take this to the capitol. Where do I sign? Already committed to USARK, let's get some dates on the table for WashingtonDC.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Gio (03-08-2015)

Thanks
    This is really frustrating, and I want to know why the hell these people care when are are obviously uneducated on the subject. As many others have pointed out, even in the opening article, this is a problem for South Florida, not anywhere else. This is not how you deal with the problem - and besides, the damage is already done. I wish there was more we could do about it. This really hurts snake breeders too because it's not like it's a really high income thing anyway, now if you can't sell across state lines, that's really gonna hurt their business. What happened in Florida is already done, what do these people think they're preventing now?
    Life, like coffee, is bitter. But why should that keep us from enjoying it?
    1.0 Axanthic Ball Python

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rinne View Post
    This is really frustrating, and I want to know why the hell these people care when are are obviously uneducated on the subject.
    You have to remember that this has been backed primarily by animal rights groups and HSUS. Their goal is not environmental protection, it is the abolition of keeping exotic species as pets. Several have stated that the goal is to completely abolish pet ownership, keeping companion animals, use of any animals by the entertainment industry, any use by the military and law-enforcement, etc.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Gio (03-09-2015),ZiggysMom (03-14-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

You have to remember that this has been backed primarily by animal rights groups and HSUS. Their goal is not environmental protection, it is the abolition of keeping exotic species as pets. Several have stated that the goal is to completely abolish pet ownership, keeping companion animals, use of any animals by the entertainment industry, any use by the military and law-enforcement, etc.
    BINGO!

All those sad, sad commercials you see with the haunting music showing abused animals, you know what I'm talking about.

That's how they get their money and donations, a tug on the heart strings. People think they are helping animals, but really, they are funding a lobby group/groups that are in favor of kill shelters, nice term. Kill, followed by shelter, but that's what they do, they don't "save" animals.

They do not have you, or your pet's best interest in mind.

A boatload of money goes to the people/places that influence votes, and not our votes. You never saw a survey, or public hearing on any of this did you?

Don't get me wrong, I love reptiles, but things like this are just a little piece of a larger and more grim picture.

If you think these people give two craps about the Everglades, think again. They'll divert water flow and lift some environmental restriction tomorrow if it benefits some large company or land deal.

Pythons destroying the Everglades? How about more than a half century of piss poor irrigation practices and land development deals?

Yeah,,, its the snakes LOL!

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (03-09-2015),Bluebonnet Herp (03-09-2015),Lisa Annmarie (03-09-2015),Marrissa (03-10-2015),Shawnee (04-15-2015)

Thanks

I was browsing PETA's website and a lot is just plain nonsense. I could say I was the only person in my group of friends who liked animals and was a little of a "environmentalist" and saving the earths animals, blah blah blah. But you have to be realistic. I do NOT support taking animals from the wild and selling wild caught animals in poor conditions and wiping out wild populations. I do not support hunting endangered animals, killing animals for clothes, and so on just like PETA. But to take some collections from the wild and promote captive breeding like the ball python, bearded dragon, leopard gecko etc. is very different in my opinion. In a way these animals are almost "domesticated" if a bird or a hamster can be called "domesticated". Snakes tolerate people and thrive in captivity just like a parakeet or a chinchilla. Heck, Ive seen posts that ball pythons and other reptiles are being bred for temperament as well and it proving out. I think the government should be cracking down on things like puppy mills and wholesaling wild caught animals to pet shops and not responsible breeders and pet keepers. I've received stitches from a hamster and bird before but I have not even been hissed /struck at once by my ball python. My snake tolerates me more then my dogs do. I feel like I can predict my snakes next move and trust him more then most animals. It angers me that these laws are passed by people in congress who fear snakes themselves with no scientific research even looked at. We need to do something now before our boas and balls are next. Then all reptiles. Then maybe all exotic pets. And eventually it will be our dogs/cats someday. Sorry for the rant but I am so angered by this all

Thanks

http://blog.humanesociety.org/wayne/...ng-snakes.html

Ugh this whole article makes me sick...

Thanks
    There is one and only solution to end this and similar atrocities like this from the root. Take money out of politics. Otherwise, scientific data will always be undermined via special interest cash.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Najakeeper For This Useful Post:

Gio (03-11-2015),Marrissa (03-11-2015)

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast