Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,300

4 members and 3,296 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Registered User Daniel.michelle's Avatar
    Thanks
    Remember when it was up to the individual states? I guess if a snake does too much damage in the everglades, it can do just as much damage in say, frozen Michigan. Obviously that cannot happen, but sadly congress doesn't know that, or care... they would rather ban something (for the whole country, when at most there are problems in only 1 or 2 states.) that they don't know about or understand rather than actually come up with a sollution...

Lol let's get together and ban the most destructive invasive species in the world, humans! Jkjk, but seriously.
    Last edited by Daniel.michelle; 03-06-2015 at 02:34 AM.
    Savannah monitor 1.1.40
    Bearded dragon 2.0.0
    Crested gecko 0.0.1
    Leopard gecko 0.1.0
    Mountian horned dragon 0.0.1
    tiger salamander 0.0.1
    ball Python 0.0.1

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel.michelle For This Useful Post:

Darkbird (03-07-2015)

Thanks

Retics banned?

Has anyone else heard about this? More snakes including the retic and boa constrictor may be added to the ban that currently prohibits the interstate sale of anacondas and burmese/african rock pythons. Do you guys think this will happen? I believe that these bans are a complete over reaction. The invasive reptile issue is a Florida problem. So why destroy so many businesses by impacting the entire nation? I live in PA where temps during winter may frequently reach below 0. There is NO WAY a scenario similar to Florida's could ever happen here! So what's the point!!? Now many people who live in PA can't get burms or condas online and those who own them can't bring them out of state. Think of all the educational programs for schools or other events which involve large constrictors that travel across America. Then there are some supporters of the ban who are using the freak occurrences of large snakes harming and even killing people as an argument. While these are tragedies in their own right- they are still like I said; freak occurences. Dogs kill more people annually but why don't we here about that? Because it doesn't make as good of a story. It doesn't have that shock factor. Another reason to support the ban is that the snakes pose as dangerous invasive species that threaten native wildlife. While this is true, many other common household pets like cats and ferrets are responsible for wiping out many local wildlife populations in different areas. So I ask you, what is your opinion on the new ban? I think that it may happen but certain species like the boa constrictor won't be included simply due to its popularity as a pet and in chain pet stores like petco. And if boas and retics are gone, who's next? Today its retics and boas, tommorow its leopard geckos and anoles. There may be dark days ahead

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: More snakes to join Burmese python on restricted list

So I ask you, what is your opinion on the new ban? I think that it may happen but certain species like the boa constrictor won't be included simply due to its popularity as a pet and in chain pet stores like petco. And if boas and retics are gone, who's next? Today its retics and boas, tommorow its leopard geckos and anoles. There may be dark days ahead
    it's happening, as I previously posted those species were originally part of the "constrictor rule" but only 4 species remained listed out of 9 while the rest were being evaluated.

What's next? Everything, many do not remember but years ago, a bill HR669 was proposed to ban ALL exotics pets, of course at the time everyone fought this from snake owners to bird owners, ferret owners and other exotic animal owners, the bill was defeated so instead of targeting a wide group the government decided to divide and conquer which sadly they did going after large constrictors.

People need to keep in mind that ASPCA and PETA who are lobbyng for this believe that no animals should be owned as a pet, how do you accomplish that? By targeting what most people will not care about and slowly move own to the next animal.

What's next? A lawsuit and a lawsuit against the government is not gonna be easy but this is the only chance we have, so join, donate to USARK and tell others about USARK and tell them to join as well.
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (03-06-2015),bcr229 (03-06-2015),Daniel.michelle (03-06-2015),Darkbird (03-07-2015),Gio (03-07-2015),JLC (03-06-2015),minguss (03-08-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel.michelle View Post
    Remember when it was up to the individual states? I guess if a snake does too much damage in the everglades, it can do just as much damage in say, frozen Michigan. Obviously that cannot happen, but sadly congress doesn't know that, or care... they would rather ban something (for the whole country, when at most there are problems in only 1 or 2 states.) that they don't know about or understand rather than actually come up with a sollution...

Lol let's get together and ban the most destructive invasive species in the world, humans! Jkjk, but seriously.

Agreed, before long they will start targeting the large lizards too! That being said I won't be willing to give up my pets so if I ever move I guess that makes me a criminal. Oh well.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jclaiborne For This Useful Post:

anicatgirl (03-06-2015),Daniel.michelle (03-06-2015),nightrainfalls (03-06-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    So..... Now I'll be committing a felony if we ever move out of state and I want to take my BCA and BCI with me..... and I'll never be able to get a cool boa from an out of state breeder (so much for you junglow and tarahumara dreams). :/

This is outrageous... Just wait... Ball pythons will be next on the list.
    by boa they mean Boa constrictor constrictor. I'm no expert in boas by any means, but i believe that BCA ad BCI are fine as long as they arent the species Boa constrictor constrictor

Thanks
    • B. c. imperator - Colombian boa, Central American boa, Common boa (Note: These are often called "Red-tailed boas" but they do not get as large or come from the same countries as B. c. constrictor. B. c. imperator are by far the most common boas kept as pets. Nearly all morph boas are B. c. imperator.)
    • B.c. amarali - Short-tailed boa
    • B. c. constrictor - Red-tailed boa
    • B. c. longicauda - Long-tailed boa
    • B. c. nebulosus or nebulosa - Clouded boa
    • B. c. occidentalis - Argentine boa
    • B. c. orophias -St. Lucian boa
    • B. c. ortonii - Orton's boa
    • B. c. sabogae - Pearl Island boa, Panamanian Island boa

They will all be included with the BCC

Registered User Daniel.michelle's Avatar
    Thanks
    You just gotta love that 1% of people who own big snakes who saw this cute little $20 snake more monitor lizard get is and in a few hours say "now what?" and release it. what I personally think should happen is: if you are in a state where invasives are an issue, you have to get a 5-10 year permit to keep them and go through a small class (to weed out the idiot keepers) then you are allowed to keep and sell whatever you want. And keep the rest of the state's free. Obviously that won't happen and there would be so many loopholes. This whole thing is gonna be the "20s alcohol prohibition" of reptiles.
    Savannah monitor 1.1.40
    Bearded dragon 2.0.0
    Crested gecko 0.0.1
    Leopard gecko 0.1.0
    Mountian horned dragon 0.0.1
    tiger salamander 0.0.1
    ball Python 0.0.1

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel.michelle For This Useful Post:

xyzpdq75 (03-06-2015)

Thanks

Has there been an update on this?

I don't see anything on USARK's Page

Anyone know what happened?

David

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel.michelle View Post
    You just gotta love that 1% of people who own big snakes who saw this cute little $20 snake more monitor lizard get is and in a few hours say "now what?" and release it. what I personally think should happen is: if you are in a state where invasives are an issue, you have to get a 5-10 year permit to keep them and go through a small class (to weed out the idiot keepers) then you are allowed to keep and sell whatever you want. And keep the rest of the state's free. Obviously that won't happen and there would be so many loopholes. This whole thing is gonna be the "20s alcohol prohibition" of reptiles.
    Florida had dealt with that issue, requiring you to have a permit and to have the snake micro chipped and if they found the snake in the wild you faced some hefty fines

I don't see anything on USARK's Page

Anyone know what happened?
    the USFWS is to make the announcement any moment now
    Last edited by ajmreptiles; 03-06-2015 at 02:09 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by USARK
    Dan Ashe just announced that Reticulated pythons and three anacondas will be listed as injurious under the Lacey Act. This is unacceptable and extreme overreach by FWS. USARK will release an email newsletter with our future actions ASAP.
    Its offical, no news yet as to how long the leeway will be

but looks like boas are safe for now

Edit: the link to the USFWS announcement http://www.fws.gov/verobeach/InvasiveSpecies.html
    Last edited by ajmreptiles; 03-06-2015 at 02:18 PM. Reason: added offical announcement link

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajmreptiles For This Useful Post:

nightrainfalls (03-06-2015),ZiggysMom (03-14-2015)

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast