Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,129

2 members and 3,127 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,112
Threads: 248,552
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NxtGenExotics
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks

For New Enclosure

For my new enclosure, only thing i got left to get is some VARNISH for the humidity..

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    Looks good so far. Have you got a thermostat for that heat pad? Also, where are you planning to put the pad to heat the enclosure?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lizardlicks For This Useful Post:

ECechoHO (03-03-2015),Montypython696 (03-03-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Analog gauges are notorious for giving inaccurate readings. I would return that one and get a digital one.

I have found the dual dial by Zoomed is actually pretty good just in case you want analog.
    http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Econom...ter+hygrometer

You need a tstat before using that uth. You also can not put the uth inside of a wood enclosure. They are designed to go on the outside of a glass or pvc cage. If you are planning on using it inside a wood enclosure without placing another floor between it and the snake you may need to rethink your plans.
    Last edited by KMG; 03-03-2015 at 08:35 PM.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

dr del (03-03-2015),ECechoHO (03-03-2015)

Thanks

Re: For New Enclosure

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardlicks View Post
    Looks good so far. Have you got a thermostat for that heat pad? Also, where are you planning to put the pad to heat the enclosure?
    x2 for this, a thermostat is a MUST for heat pads. Snakes have been badly burned/have died because of improper use of heat pads.

Also, I really wouldn't use the dial temperature/humidity gauges they tend to be horribly inaccurate. You can get a good digital one from home depot for $10.

Another question based on your previous threads, is this enclosure of yours for just one of your two snakes? Or are you putting them both in the same enclosure again? Again that's really not the healthiest option for them.
    I've got quite a few...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Montypython696 For This Useful Post:

ECechoHO (03-03-2015)

Banned
    Thanks
    THANKS erryyone, from the top 1ST::plan on putting the UTH under the enclosure on the HOT side, too hot.?? wouldn't the WOOD enclosure and the bedding cool it down a lil IF it got too hot on the hot side above the heat pad.?? 2ND:: tried to go the cheap route with that thermostat, the only reason i did is because it didn't rely on a battery.. 3RD:: I'm going to place them together, they are brother and sis, but when i get a new one that is going to be entered around the mating season ONLY..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ECechoHO View Post
    THANKS erryyone, from the top 1ST::plan on putting the UTH under the enclosure on the HOT side, too hot.?? wouldn't the WOOD enclosure and the bedding cool it down a lil IF it got too hot on the hot side above the heat pad.?? 2ND:: tried to go the cheap route with that thermostat, the only reason i did is because it didn't rely on a battery.. 3RD:: I'm going to place them together, they are brother and sis, but when i get a new one that is going to be entered around the mating season ONLY..
    1st, if you are trying to heat through wood with an unregulated UTH, it is never going to get through hot enough, or if it does then it's going to so hot that it's going to catch the wood on fire.

2nd, thermometer not thermostat. Thermostat is what you should have on your UTH, thermometer just tells you the temperature.

3rd, DON'T! You're just risking cannibalism of one for no gain except that you're cheap. Which is 50% of the source of your problems. The other half is that you don't listen to advice if it contradicts what you want to hear.

4th, If you can't afford to properly house what animals you have you shouldn't be getting more with the intent to make even more that you don't have housing for. You've had them together for a long time without them breeding, either the conditions are terrible for breeding (still possible) or they are the same sex. If you complete this project and it works then you now have a reasonably proper house for each one individually, not for three.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Foxton For This Useful Post:

kriwu (10-15-2015),Montypython696 (03-03-2015),shaneswife828 (03-21-2015)

Thanks
    The uth is never going to work correctly through the wood. You are asking for trouble.

Don't be cheap. Being cheap now is going to cost you more in the long run. Set it up right the first time and if you cant afford to house two snakes correctly don't do it.
    KMG

Thanks

3RD:: I'm going to place them together, they are brother and sis, but when i get a new one that is going to be entered around the mating season ONLY..
    Woah woah woah, so you are keeping the male and female siblings together in one cage, AND then putting a third one in the same cage with the other male and the female?

Even if its just for mating season that is just plain stupid, and extremely dangerous too.

You really need to double think your current set-ups before you do any of this.

And just because they are brother and sister doesn't mean they have to be together. Its not healthy and it just screams bad husbandry.
    I've got quite a few...

Thanks

3RD:: I'm going to place them together, they are brother and sis, but when i get a new one that is going to be entered around the mating season ONLY..
    I completely misread this the first time.

What tells you this is a good idea!?!

Three snakes together?

Do you think this is like a rattlesnake roundup?
    KMG

14. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Montypython696 (03-03-2015)

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    Another member (think it was pit?) recommended putting another shelf in the cabinet and converting into into a sort of rack system with tubs, which could totally work and still be economical. Sterilite tubs aren't that expensive at all. You'll still need to get a thermostat to regulate the heat- about $50 if you want to go the cheap route, and a couple of digital thermometers/hygrometers- those are about $10 each. But $70 bucks is worth not dead snakes, and if you're keeping them in tubs with lids you won't have to varnish the cabinet.

Let me reiterate what the other members have said: do not continue housing your snake together. The only reason snakes should be in the same tub is breeding, and that's only for a couple of days, then you pull the male and wait a few weeks to pair them again. Snakes don't care about familial relations; if they're oppisite gender and your husbandry is spot on, they'll try to make babies. That they've been housed together this long and nothing has happened means one or both factors is off. Fix the husbandry first.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizardlicks For This Useful Post:

ECechoHO (03-04-2015)

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast