Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,242

1 members and 3,241 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Registered User LivingwithBalls's Avatar
    Thanks

Ambient temperatures

I cannot keep my ambient temps where they are supposed to be. The hot spot is at 90f, the cool side around 75-80f, but the ambient is 60f. I was thinking of getting a Che, but then I saw on another post somewhere about using heat pads as radiant heat panels? That would be more cost effective, so please let me know your thoughts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    CHE is going to make you fight for humidity.
    UTHs are really for a hot spot, not to heat ambient temps.
    Heating the room would be the easiest with an oil filled heater.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    What kind of enclosure do you have?
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

Raising ambient

What I've done to raise ambients in my plastic tub is heat cable along two of the sides. I have the zoo med repti heat cable 15 feet. I was told when I got this I didn't even need a thermostat and I haven't seen any evidence to the contrary. The cable itself gets hot and if you put it on the bottom of the tank it heats it up far too much but just along the sides it heats up the walls of the tank just a bit and raises ambients perfectly.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    I personally don't like seeing a heat source with out a stat. I do also recognize some heat sources simply cannot get over a designed temp. Your snake you risk, if the temp is always under id to high 90s I guess it is ok.

Any and all sources that raise the ambient air temp will raise the % that RH is based on. It cannot work any other way. The higher the air temp the more water it can carry and the % to that point will change.

I have been using a money example as it is easier. 100$ deposit on a snake is 100% or 100 10% of 1000 and 1% of 10000. If I raise the price of the snake it will change. It is still 100$ in every case what % it is never changes that. A correct amount of water in the air is correct if it is 50% or 75% changing the air temp does not alter the amount of water just what % it is of the possible water the air can hold.

I keep my snake at 50% Rh and have never had a bad shed and I calibrate the hygrometers regularly. I always have 15.5 gm/m3 that fact my ambient air temperature can hold 30gm/m3 means 15gm is half way to the max. If I have 73ºF I would have 77% RH it is still 15.5 gm. the % is pointless with out knowing the temperatures.

Thanks
    I've used a ceramic heat emitter for ambient temperature in glass enclosures with success. Get the CHE on a dimmer or a thermostat to control its temperature output and cover almost all of your screen top excluding the area for the CHE. If you're still having trouble with humidity consider switching to a substrate to holds humidity better (eco-earth, cypress mulch, etc) and station the snakes water bowl under the CHE.

Registered User LivingwithBalls's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Ambient temperatures

Okay so with a lot of research and help from you guys I decided to go with the Che. The lamp fixture has a dimmer built into it so that's pretty cool. I had to order it online, so it should be here in a week or so. Thanks for all the help!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk